PDA

View Full Version : I need inspiration - HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 04:50 PM
OK, here's my quandary:

I have to write my PhD thesis, but I'm a waste of oxygen these days. Even moreso than normal, if that's not totally impossible to belive. I can't even get started, even though I have lots of the material already written in the half-dozen papers that I've had published.

The question is how can I get going? Please inspire me. Feel free to fling the needed insults/pics/anedotes that will help the Sucker become Dr. Sucker. Thanks! I'm hoping that this thread becomes a repository for all that is good and bad with OOT. Don't let me down, all!

Asufiji2004
10-05-2005, 04:51 PM
stop being a [censored] and do it

phage
10-05-2005, 04:53 PM
In my graduate program we were allowed to use our papers as the main chapters of the thesis but needed bridging paragraphs to join them into a cohesive text. Can you do something similar? What are you studying?

stabn
10-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Matt Flynn is a doctor and it doesn't sound like you are going to pull it off. Man, that's got to burn.

asofel
10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, here's my quandary:

I have to write my PhD thesis, but I'm a waste of oxygen these days. Even moreso than normal, if that's not totally impossible to belive. I can't even get started, even though I have lots of the material already written in the half-dozen papers that I've had published.

The question is how can I get going? Please inspire me. Feel free to fling the needed insults/pics/anedotes that will help the Sucker become Dr. Sucker. Thanks! I'm hoping that this thread becomes a repository for all that is good and bad with OOT. Don't let me down, all!

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop the pool. Stop the Chinese. Start the thesis.

Los Feliz Slim
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Women get naked for Doctors. And the women pay!

Cancer Merchant
Just think of the city-burning, cop-calling, mother of all blackout times you're going to have when you're done.

kipin
Offer to pay everyone $1 who replies to the thread if you don't start your thesis in the next week, but then... never follow through with it.

LeatherFace
Imagine you sitting peacefully at your desk reading oot, all of a sudden a fat man is trying to give you anal. I would get working on the PHD thesis.

Georgia Avenue
10-05-2005, 04:59 PM
This is sort of like asking for directions to an AA meeting at a bar...

TJSWAN
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Just think of what it will do for your table image when they find out you have a PHD to go with your hair...

Tim

diebitter
10-05-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine you sitting peacefully at your desk reading oot, all of a sudden a fat man is trying to give you anal. I would get working on the PHD thesis.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's got to be a million dollar idea!

BoogerFace
10-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Repeat after me:

"Do you want fries with dat?"

[censored]
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
You need to decide to do it, first off. That means getting beyond I want to do it, I need to do it and just make the decision to write it.

Also do not tell yourself you are going to write your thesis. Instead what would be something easy that you could certainly do. Could you write a paragraph? A sentence? you can write one sentence right? Pick something small decide to do it and then do so, just one sentence or paragraph! Then come back here.

mslif
10-05-2005, 05:16 PM
[censored] is right, try to view your thesis in smaller portions rather than a whole. I am in the process of writing a thesis as well and it is hard to get motivated sometimes when you think about the amount of work that needs to be done. Just take it one step at the time. The longer you wait, the harder it is going to be.
Good luck /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sfer
10-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Just keep the hair.

nolanfan34
10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
If you don't get it done, I'm going to find a way to get your Testarossa wine shipments sent to my house instead.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Too late.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Anything but that... please, man, have a heart!

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
That's part of the problem. I spend too much time thinking/rehearsing that moment and not enough time sitting in my office writing.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
That's the pathetic part of it. I have 6 of the 8 chapters basically written, but I need to expand them slightly (including writing intros, etc). I'm also a prolific writer, so it shouldn't be that hard. However, I'm more prolific as a lazy bastard, so it is.

I'm doing physical chemistry, btw.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
This is the worst-est idea ever.

Ulysses
10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Put off writing the thesis and get that damn trip report posted.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Maybe if you're a "real doctor." Unfortunately, I'm not a the kind of doctor who helps people.

sfer
[ QUOTE ]
Too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's over. Drop out, get a Masters in Financial Engineering and be a drone on Wall St.

J.A.Sucker
I tell you what. I'll write the abstract for my thesis, then the trip report. Deal?

asofel
10-05-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the worst-est idea ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah....Good, then take a trip to DC and play me some pool. Interested in a side bet El D? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

phage
10-05-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the pathetic part of it. I have 6 of the 8 chapters basically written, but I need to expand them slightly (including writing intros, etc). I'm also a prolific writer, so it shouldn't be that hard. However, I'm more prolific as a lazy bastard, so it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a hard time with my thesis as well. The thing is the longer you put it off the worse the pressure feels. You start to convince yourself that you can't get any writing done, you begin to get distracted easily and thus begins a vicious cycle.
This will sound like very tired advice but set some reasonable goals (expand one intro per day) or set aside a specific amount of time for writing. get feedback from people. If you let them know you will have something for them to read you will force yourself to get something down on paper.
Good luck!

diebitter
10-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I have a thesis - not a boast, but my credentials - PhD, passed first time, so this is good advice.

Get yourself someone who knows how to edit in the field you're writing in, and use em for every draught. It is a little tougher, but your work will be immeasurably superior.

Many professionals are quite happy to mentor you in this way, so hopefully shouldn't be too difficult.

hobbsmann
10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your name I want to look up some of your papers on isiknowledge

M2d
10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Chem PhD, right? I have a batchelor's degree in chem. do you realize how crappy the jobs are for non-doctorate level people in chemistry? get the damned thing done.

nolanfan34
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chem PhD, right? I have a batchelor's degree in chem. do you realize how crappy the jobs are for non-doctorate level people in chemistry? get the damned thing done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and we'll change your title from "pooh-bah" to "lab monkey" too.

Dominic
10-05-2005, 06:06 PM
how about this:

if you don't finish your thesis, you won't get your degree.

M2d
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i got tired of making pretty colors a long time ago. been off the [censored] bench for about ten years now.

sfer
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your name I want to look up some of your papers on isiknowledge

[/ QUOTE ]

Just Another...

Josh W
It's 93 degrees in Manhattan Beach right now.

Do you know what they wear on the beach when it's 93 degrees?

Take a break from all your worries, take a trip down here, we'll play some drunk 40-80, sit at Hennessey's w/ brew in hand, whatever you want.

But come down here.

Seriously...do you know what they wear!!! I mean ???? not !!!!.

I'm not sure how this will help with the thesis, other than you can bounce ideas off of me. I'll nod blankly, and you'll be inspired.

Josh

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Sounds great. Next weekend? Seriously. I think you read my mind... Hennessey's is one of my favorite spots.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 06:21 PM
My papers are sited as:

Sucker, J.A.
Sucker, Just A.
Sucker, Just Another,
Sucker, Just

Happy hunting!

Cancer Merchant
10-05-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how about this:

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was effective, I would have finished mine months ago; JA is probably in the same boat

10-05-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have to write my PhD thesis, but I'm a waste of oxygen these days. Even moreso than normal!

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who is writing a PhD thesis should never compare themselves to the average man in terms of laziness.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I'm likely worse. Maybe Sklanksy has advice for me...

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
This has been the least of my worries for my PhD. Nah, this is just pure laziness at work, or not at work as it may be.

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 06:26 PM
My hair's gone, dude. What now?

J.A.Sucker
10-05-2005, 06:27 PM
You should take a picture and post it here for inspiration. In fact, this thread needs bikini-clad women to help my psyche...

beta1607
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously...do you know what they wear!!! I mean ???? not !!!!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like this:

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_SM/0019-0410-1001-5007_SM.jpg

God, I miss SoCal.

gumpzilla
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tell you what. I'll write the abstract for my thesis, then the trip report. Deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is part of your problem. Write the abstract at the end, after you've finished banging out all the chapters. It should probably be easier that way. Thanks to my late game switch from theoretical to experimental work, it's going to be a long enough time before I have to write mine that I anticipate the urge to get out will be a powerful motivator.

Matt Flynn
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
the Sucker should learn no limit while he is procrastinating.

The Yugoslavian
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Inspiration you say?

http://69.93.50.122/wonderfulgirls/photos/7B11D48A4B6D4292AC0C6481C353DD5A.jpg

Yugoslav

10-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Thesis = Dr. = Money = Power = Sex with hot women = SIIHP!

TJSWAN
10-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Well in that case I would have to say that is your deadline, get the darn thesis done before you need another cut. That should give you plenty of time....

Oh, and BTW personally responding to everyones post is very nice, but not a step in the right direction. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So stop stalling.

I know it's been a long time since we met, but that's a shame about the hair.

Tim

Klepton
10-05-2005, 07:38 PM
talk to jason_t, that man owns anyone in determination

Brain
10-05-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your topic?

Brain
10-05-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i got tired of making pretty colors a long time ago. been off the [censored] bench for about ten years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want it, I'll be the lab monkey.

What kind of pretty colors were you making?

diebitter
10-05-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thesis = Dr. <> Money = Power = Sex with hot women = SIIHP!

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

nothumb
10-05-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So how long do you have to do this? Need to finish it this semester?

If it wasn't hard science I would just offer to finish it for you in exchange for some poker lessons and a bottle of the Chinese, but I'm not a chemist.

Although, I'd still do it. I can fake it.

NT

Shajen
10-06-2005, 08:48 AM
There once was a man named Sucker
he was a smart but lazy fucker
my thesis is due
he said with much rue
but my ass cheeks are all a-pucker!

(a limerick for inspiration... /images/graemlins/confused.gif)

jakethebake
10-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Instead of actually starting writing, just start getting yourself all organized to do it. Gather all your materials. Scribble down an outline. Even create the Word file or whatever that you'll write it in. Once you start doing all those little things the rest will follow. I do this all the time.

Ray Zee
10-06-2005, 10:30 AM
if you make millions playing cards you will hardly miss it. if not then you will.
but a giant personal accomplishment goes with you forever.

but i kinda hope you fail as i dread having to call you doc.

J.A.Sucker
10-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Already been done. That's the good news. The bad news is that I'd rather play golf. Maybe that's the good news, too.

J.A.Sucker
10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Doc is better than [censored]. I better finish.

J.A.Sucker
10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Winner!

benza13
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how about this:

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was effective, I would have finished mine months ago; JA is probably in the same boat

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and I'd have my Master by now too, god damn distractions.

M2d
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of pretty colors were you making?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure; I'm colorblind (true). sucked big ones when I was doing titrations.

Boris
10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm sure you'll come with something when we're gofling this afternoon.