PDA

View Full Version : Bottom set facing monster overbet

The_Bends
10-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Simple question really.

Hero limps 88 UTG, CO limp, SB calls, BB checks

Flop - $4

89Tr

Hero leads for $5 CO goes all in for $95 do you call.

CO is aggressive and loose and plays bluffs, single pairs and monsters ultra fast.

emil3000
10-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Call real quick.

BigBiceps
10-05-2005, 04:30 PM
He could play this way with TT 99 T9 TJ AT, or even JQ. You are winning in 3 of these, and losing in 3 of these.

I would probably fold due to the connectiveness of the board, but there is a good chance that he is drawing to 8 outs.

Mackerel
10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Simple question really.

Hero limps 88 UTG, CO limp, SB calls, BB checks

Flop - $4

89Tr

Hero leads for $5 CO goes all in for $95 do you call.

CO is aggressive and loose and plays bluffs, single pairs and monsters ultra fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

It mostly depends on villians tendancies pre-flop. If he would limp TT and QJ here, but raise bigger pairs, then I let this go.

If he would raise 9's & T's and also big unsuited cards (or limps even big pairs), and has a tendancy toward wild bluffing, then I might look him up.

The_Bends
10-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Preflop I'm almost certain he's raise with TT-AA althought I've not enought hands on him to make a definate judgement.

Mackerel
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
If you've seen him pulling this kind of crap with hands like 2 pair or pair + OESD before, then I would seriously consider calling (assuming that you think he'll stick around with his big stack, and that him showing you the nuts won't negatively effect your play). But without that or a solid read, I probably just let him have this one.

The_Bends
10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
As it turned out I called and he showed T9 and I took it down. My reasoning at the time was I thought there was no way even a maniac risks losing value on the nut straight by overbetting so massivly, espically with two people waiting to act who could add value to the pot. I thought TT was unlikely given the limp in late postion so I was only worried about 99 oversetting me. Again however I thought he'd probably have at least min raised 99 preflop.

The whole thing screamed pair+draw which I was obviously ahead of. However at the time I was a little on tilt so on reflection I wasn't sure if the call was sound, I'm still pretty 50:50 about the whole thing.

I do however try to maintain a policy of calling with marginal hands against maniacs because I'm properly bankrolled and I think there's a tonne of value in these calls that tight players can miss out on.

kurto
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning at the time was I thought there was no way even a maniac risks losing value on the nut straight by overbetting so massivly,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This screams of a semi-decent hand that afraid to have anyone stick around.

I hope you had him covered!

The_Bends
10-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Nope I left him with $1.25 on the table

emil3000
10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Call real quick.
Holla! I put the ownage on all you weak tight suckers!!!!?!!!?? Holla!

Mackerel
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning at the time was I thought there was no way even a maniac risks losing value on the nut straight by overbetting so massivly, espically with two people waiting to act who could add value to the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I occasionally push like this with the nuts to take advantage of this very reasoning. See this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3573588&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) I made yesterday in the Magazine forum.

10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
That's just such a HUGE overbet, and there are several possible hands that he might limp with in late position that have you beat, that I don't see how you could call this. Let's see... 76, jq, 99, tt. I guess that's not that many possible hands, but our odds are just so bad.

JihadOnTheRiver
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm all in every time. He probably doesn't have a higher set, but if he does, that's poker and you should pay off everytime at SSNL. I see the bottom straight played like this, but also pair+J/7 or two pair playing this way from this player. This is an easy call for me. Hope you sucked out...

-JOTR

kurto
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Are you ignoring this:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a guy will do this with a pair... and you're folding a set to him, then you need to find another table.

10-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I am not ignoring that point it all. In fact, I think it is extremely important because it means he might actually be playing the nuts this way.

I hadn't read the results yet when I posted. Nice call!!

The_Bends
10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning at the time was I thought there was no way even a maniac risks losing value on the nut straight by overbetting so massivly, espically with two people waiting to act who could add value to the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I occasionally push like this with the nuts to take advantage of this very reasoning. See this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3573588&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) I made yesterday in the Magazine forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

True I'm aware it happens but I'd probably have you as a thinking player in my notes not a maniac LAG

Riposte
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm all-in every time. You say he's loose... then he could have 98, T9, and the straight draw. If you are behind to his made straight, you have a lot of outs.

kurto
10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not ignoring that point it all. In fact, I think it is extremely important because it means he might actually be playing the nuts this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

But my point is... if he would do this with a pair, then he is more likely to do it with less then the nuts then someone who would only do this with the nuts. If you assume this player, who repeatedly goes all in, always has the nuts, then all he has to do is always go all-in.

There are very few times I'm not willing to lose my stack with a set against a LAG.