PDA

View Full Version : What do telemarketers prefer?

Runner Runner
10-05-2005, 04:00 PM
When receiving a call from a telemarketer I am usually courteous and say that I am not interested and say goodbye. I started thinking that maybe they would prefer a hangup so that they wouldn't have to waste their time talking. Make sense?

dtbog
10-05-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When receiving a call from a telemarketer I am usually courteous and say that I am not interested and say goodbye. I started thinking that maybe they would prefer a hangup so that they wouldn't have to waste their time talking. Make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a dick, but here's my thinking on the matter:

- a company pays someone to bother you in your house. this is +EV for them, -EV and annoying for you.
- a company pays an employee to harass you. this employee just needs to be in his chair for 8 hours; he probably doesn't like his job and would rather do something interesting

the only way to make this -EV for the company and not annoying for you is to mess with the guy on the phone, thereby 1) probably helping the employee enjoy his job, 2) wasting the time and money of the company that tried to bother you and 3) probably making you laugh

if they work on commission, eh, hang up

CORed
10-05-2005, 04:04 PM
I have no interest in being nice to telemarketers. Depending on my mood, I either hang up on them immediately, or after I have answered, I set the phone down and let them keep taling until they realize that nobody's listening.

Shajen
actually, last time I checked they preferred this. (https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx)

stabn
They don't seem to perfer my smart ass remarks.

MINETZ
10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I personally just hang up, I think that their wage is somewhat based on how many people they actually get to succed in buying their product, so i think theyd prefer a hang up instead of hearing ur not interested schpeal.

MINETZ
10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, last time I checked they preferred this. (https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx)

[/ QUOTE ]
beat me to it.

RunDownHouse
10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I briefly had a job that required some cold calling. I much preferred hang-ups. Its not like, even if I wanted to, I could take them personally after the 100th in a couple hours.

10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I set the phone down and let them keep taling until they realize that nobody's listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh. Weird.

10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I tend to say, "Yes I want that, let me go get my credit card." I then put the phone down and see how long it takes until I hear a busy signal.

coffeecrazy1
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
When I was one, I would have preferred a sale. The time spent dialing was a waste of time.

I also did it for two weeks, because I felt like a total scumbag.

kurosh
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I think the real question is, who cares what the telemarketers prefer?

captZEEbo1
10-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Anyone proposing harassing telemarketers are [censored] tools. Just b/c their job is annoying, doesn't mean it's their decision TO be annoying to you. They are working mostly on commission (+ they will get fired if they don't make x amount of sales). Furthermore it's the COMPANY that hires them fault, not the actual worker. Don't shoot the messenger or something.

Same thing goes at something like the DMV, it's not the WORKER'S fault that the place is run shittily, don't bitch/be mean to them; if you really have a problem, take it up with the manager/owner or whatever.

jstnrgrs
10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone proposing harassing telemarketers are [censored] tools. Just b/c their job is annoying, doesn't mean it's their decision TO be annoying to you. They are working mostly on commission (+ they will get fired if they don't make x amount of sales). Furthermore it's the COMPANY that hires them fault, not the actual worker. Don't shoot the messenger or something.

Same thing goes at something like the DMV, it's not the WORKER'S fault that the place is run shittily, don't bitch/be mean to them; if you really have a problem, take it up with the manager/owner or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because someone forced these people to take these jobs?

10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The line "but it's my job" get used TOO much. There are many ways to make a living. They choose that profession because you can make good money at it. THEIR choice. The company can't exist if nobody will do their dirty work. If someone bothers my dinner, time with kids, ect. to sell me something, they do so at their own peril.

You also ignore the fact that many of telemarketers are rude and pushy because they are on commission. I used to say no thank you, but it took saying no thank you 5 times to get off the phone. Pushy salespeople suck.