PDA

View Full Version : Turn play when overcard hits

10-05-2005, 03:25 PM
This hand generated a fair bit of discussion in HUSH. I'm the villan (BB) and I have Q9 (no club). What's the right play on the turn?

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with ___:.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

ggbman
10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
I would raise and check behind the river. You only miss value on the river from worse queens or a ten, and this way you charge him with clubs, TJ, etc...

Entity
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would raise and check behind the river. You only miss value on the river from worse queens or a ten, and this way you charge him with clubs, TJ, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hock is OOP.

Rob

Justin A
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BB has Q9, "hero" is button and his cards are unknown. I think Hock is asking what BB should do.

10-05-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BB has Q9, "hero" is button and his cards are unknown. I think Hock is asking what BB should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Sorry for the confusion.

mc1023
10-05-2005, 04:04 PM
bet and call a raise seems to be the obvious line from first glance for me.

10-05-2005, 08:42 PM
bet w/ the intention of calling a raise if it comes. reevaluate on the river based on the opponent.

10-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Nobody thinks there's merit to the BB check/calling the turn?

10-06-2005, 05:04 PM
you could check raise the turn to get information as to whether the K helped him or if he's still on a draw.. if he misses the club draw the check raise may earn you a free showdown on the river.

10-06-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this line is second best behind bet/calling. betting is better b/c a) you likely still have the best hand, so it is for value, and b) he could easily have a hand w/ a lot of outs against you, and so you want to charge him to draw.

10-06-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you could check raise the turn to get information as to whether the K helped him or if he's still on a draw.. if he misses the club draw the check raise may earn you a free showdown on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

cr'ing the turn for "information" is definitely spewing.

Subfallen
10-06-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this line is second best behind bet/calling. betting is better b/c a) you likely still have the best hand, so it is for value, and b) he could easily have a hand w/ a lot of outs against you, and so you want to charge him to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with bet-calling is that the K does not look particularly scary for your hand from Button's perspective. Thus he doesn't expect you to fold, and when two bets go in on the turn you will almost always be behind.

We want exactly one bet to go in. Our turn check looks enough like a worried T or underpair or flush draw that many/most opponents will autobet. One bet goes in.

Additionally, there's only one more overcard that could come, so you're not really that worried about giving a free card. Either you're toasted and drawing to 5 or fewer outs, or your opponent has 3-7 outs. Let's just see a showdown here.

RichieRich
10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
if button checks through on the turn, are you bet-calling any non-Ace river?