PDA

View Full Version : middle pair on a funky flop

10-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Not quite sure of the best line to take ...

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Do I 4-bet here and lead the turn or just call down? Heads up I think calling down would be best ... but how should the 3rd player affect my play?

I decided to call then check the turn :

Turn: (9.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero ??.

Link774
10-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Given no reads, I would probably call down. Against an agressive player I would be more likely to cap the flop and come out betting on the turn (calling down if raised).

POKhER
10-05-2005, 02:57 PM
i fold the turn. Think we're behind to trips.
but maybe partys makingme weak tight /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fantam
10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
If MP2 had a higher pocket pair than you, there was a good chance that he would have raised preflop.

MP2's flop 3-bet, after your flop raise, strongly suggests that he does have a 2 for trips. There are no flush draws available and a straight draw would probably have just called.

The pot was offering you 18:1 to call the raise, and your chances of catching an 8 on the turn were 22:1. So I think it was correct for you to call the flop raise, as you could expect to make more bets if you were lucky and made your set.

However, I dont think it was worth putting any more bets in the pot after the turn. You were almost definitely beaten and no longer had sufficient odds to draw to your 2 outs.

WalkAmongUs
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
What about the chances that MP2 has something like 66 or 55 and saw the tiny flop and thought "I have an overpair but its small so I gotta try to raise everyone out." and the turn was just a continuation bet to retain the lead?

@bsolute_luck
10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
suggestions are being made without any consideration of a read at all. mere guesses. 77-44 could do this. Ace-high SD could do this. if that guy cold called with a 2 or pocket 3s, then he wins my 2BBs here- i'll get them back no prob if he keeps playing like that.

call down.

10-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I did not have any worthwhile reads on the players. Also, in my experience, a lot of non-hyper-aggressive .5 / 1 players that flop trips will wait until the turn to raise, esp. when there is an aggressive player betting into them.

I'm becoming more convinced that a call-down is the right move.

Another question: for future similar hands, how does the fac t that there is a 3rd player change my play? As long as he is passive am OK? Assuming nothing scary falls on the river, can I check &amp; make an overcall after the SB?