PDA

View Full Version : two stupid mistakes is one too many

Gar Pike
10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
So, playing a $5 SNG on PokerStars last night, my 1st stupid mistake...

2nd hand, me in CO with Q9s folded to me, I put in a 3X steal raise. Button calls, blinds fold. Flop Q T 9, 1 of my suit. I check, he bets 60, I raise to 200, he calls. Turn is another of my suit, a low card. I check, he bets 150 I push. He shows QT, I'm down to 10 chips.

Down to 4 left, I'm 3rd in chips, about 2800, small stack on my right) has about 1350, villain and next player have me covered.

I have 55 on button, blinds are 100/200, short stack folds, I raise to 600, SB raises to 1200, BB folds, I push. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I get so caught up in trying to win the hand I'm playing I forget that there's a tournament to be won. And I was so close... would have been the comeback of the year, but (see title)

Regards

Gar

Pasterbator
10-05-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2nd hand, me in CO with Q9s folded to me, I put in a 3X steal raise. Button calls, blinds fold. Flop Q T 9, 1 of my suit. I check, he bets 60, I raise to 200, he calls. Turn is another of my suit, a low card. I check, he bets 150 I push. He shows QT, I'm down to 10 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll make it quick in painless. Fold preflop. There is no reason to steal when the blinds are so low. It doesnt help you very much at all, and its not worth the risk. Stealing is for when the blinds get higher and they mean something to your stack.

Gar Pike
10-05-2005, 04:33 PM
So...more than 2 stupid mistakes, you say.

I agree with you, I didn't need the chips. I was thinking that Q9s was an OK hand to open-raise with in CO. Not a pure steal like 83o would be.

That could be a leak...

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Gar

downtown
10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, I didn't need the chips. I was thinking that Q9s was an OK hand to open-raise with in CO. Not a pure steal like 83o would be.

That could be a leak...

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Gar

[/ QUOTE ]

Not could be a leak, definitely a leak. At these levels your advantage comes from playing when your advantage is large in big pots, not small in tiny pots.

10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
I obv would have folded that first hand preflop, but if I somehow did play it preflop I also would have ended up getting all my money in postflop (though not in the same way).

Not that it matters, you really just wanted to tell us you went from 10 chips to 2800.

10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
i read advice from that guy that keeps saying holla to not play anything but AA KK QQ AK before level 3 and he was so right. +roi for sure.

downtown
10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i read advice from that guy that keeps saying holla to not play anything but AA KK QQ AK before level 3 and he was so right. +roi for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very simplistic advice, and to be fair he uses it to 245456136-table the 22s. It's +ROI over getting too fancy, but you can definintely make even more by expanding your starting hands outside of those hands you mentioned, even at lower level SNGs (e.g. playing pairs for set value when you can see cheap flops).

10-05-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That could be a leak...

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Gar

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be the another person to yell at you for playing the Q9s. Early on, just fold about everything from every position (not joking) in the 6s.