PDA

View Full Version : Why can't they give good chopsticks?

Sifmole
10-05-2005, 02:07 PM
When you go to most restaurants ( not fast food joints ), say french or italian, you get normal silverware. They don't give you plastic forks, knives and spoons. The quality of course can vary, but you get normal silverware. So why is it that every friggin' chinese restaurant always gives those crappy, break 'em apart, splintery, garbage wooden chopsticks?

They will give you real silverware, but if you want chopsticks -- here are some crappy ones. Why? I mean "real" silverware equivalents exist of chopsticks -- enamel, bone, etc. Why even when you are paying $15 or more a plate, sitting at their table can you not get a decent set of "real" chopsticks?

Warik
10-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Maybe because people might walk off with them whereas they typically don't walk off with silverware.

Plus, much harder to eat a steak with plastic fork and knife than with the real thing, whereas crappy wooden chopsticks don't significantly affect one's ability to eat.

Sponger15SB
10-05-2005, 02:23 PM
"I'll tell you what I like about Chinese people. They're hanging in there with the chopsticks. You know they've seen the fork. They're staying with the sticks. I don't know how they missed it. Going out all day on the farm with a shovel. Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

http://www.seinfeld-archiv.de/jerry5.jpg

lucas9000
10-05-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I'll tell you what I like about Chinese people. They're hanging in there with the chopsticks. You know they've seen the fork. They're staying with the sticks. I don't know how they missed it. Going out all day on the farm with a shovel. Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. good choice, good execution.

JimGil
10-05-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe because people might walk off with them whereas they typically don't walk off with silverware.

Plus, much harder to eat a steak with plastic fork and knife than with the real thing, whereas crappy wooden chopsticks don't significantly affect one's ability to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a well thought out and reasonable response. Bravo.

10-05-2005, 02:26 PM
And WHAT'S the deal with Chinese people? The last time I checked - "Wang" was not a name.

Sifmole
10-05-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you have ever eaten w/ decent chopsticks you would know that the eating experience is much improved.

stabn
10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And WHAT'S the deal with Chinese people? The last time I checked - "Wang" was not a name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a break.

tonypaladino
10-05-2005, 02:31 PM
I've gotten nice chopsticks in resturants.

I think people stealing them probably is the right answer.

jedi
10-05-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

When I use a spoon, the purpose isn't to shovel food in my mouth. It might solve our obesity problem if everyone could only eat with chopsticks. Some people would just give up after getting the first few bites in.

Cancer Merchant
10-05-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

When I use a spoon, the purpose isn't to shovel food in my mouth. It might solve our obesity problem if everyone could only eat with chopsticks. Some people would just give up after getting the first few bites in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mandatory introduction of Korean style round metal chopsticks would fix the obesity epidemic stat. Even some Koreans I know have a hard time with them.

stabn
10-05-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mandatory introduction of Korean style round metal chopsticks would fix the obesity epidemic stat. Even some Koreans I know have a hard time with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.photomosaic.com/rt/examples/hands.jpg

sfer
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why even when you are paying $15 or more a plate, sitting at their table can you not get a decent set of "real" chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

$15 a plate for Chinese food? Sucker.

I remember having an expense account dinner at Mr. K's in New York. Much more than $15 per and very nice chopsticks as I remember. Too bad the food was lousy.

M2d
10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
white people are too ignorant to realize that others are getting ivory chopsticks with mother of pearl inlays. Now that you realize this you're officially in the club and will probably get the oriental chopsticks next time you go to a chinese restaurant. just print out this thread and show it to them for proof of your higher level of understanding.

Sifmole
10-05-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
white people are too ignorant to realize that others are getting ivory chopsticks with mother of pearl inlays. Now that you realize this you're officially in the club and will probably get the oriental chopsticks next time you go to a chinese restaurant. just print out this thread and show it to them for proof of your higher level of understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I am sure you are effing with me...... right?

I am also aware that many if not all chinese restaurants have at least 2 menus -- the white man menu, and the chinese menu. And its not just the writing that is different.

Eurotrash
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know when you get something on your shirt and you get it off with your fingernail?

That's dry cleaning.

M2d
10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am also aware that many if not all chinese restaurants have at least 2 menus -- the white man menu, and the chinese menu. And its not just the writing that is different.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm only in the club because my wife is chinese. if they found out I'm japanese, they'd run me out of town.
seriously, though, they seem to have different levels of service depending on who the customer is. My father in law has a background in fine dining (table captain at the Mandarin Hotel in HK, table captain at the Carnelian Room in SF back in the day, etc) and our family frequents a small handful of restaurants. it's not uncommon to see our party eating with nice chopsticks, cloth napkins, etc surrounded by tables filled with disposable chopsticks and paper napkins.

btw, sfer (I think) is correct that, if you're paying >~ 15/plate, you're getting ripped off. fwiw, the rule of thumb about ratio of black hair to lighter colored hair in any asian restaurant is a good one to go by, and the black heads wouldn't stand for 15/plate prices.

10-05-2005, 07:23 PM
The inscrutable Chinese, in their invaribale Asian inscrutableness, understood early on that the Occidental, due to their very un-inscrutableness-ability, would immediately, upon experiencing the various Asian epicurian delicacies, begin to consume vast quantities of said/aforementioned delicacies.

Then, using the aforementioned inscrutables, they devised a variation on the old water torture ploy. They decided to provide only an inferior type of untensil for the Occidental to use whilst attempting to consume the delicacies.

They set out upon a search for a not-so-very-qualified chopstick manufacturer. Sadly, no such manufacturer existed in their country. Or, for that matter, any of the Asian countries. What to do?

During a strategy/marketing meeting, someone suggested outsourcing.

"Outsourcing? What tha fruck is outsourcing," queried the team manager.

"We go to another country, where the labor force is paid even less than ours, is less educated, has lousy factories, etc., etc., and subcontract," replied the team member. "We import the sticks back here, re-package them, put a little 'Made In China' sticker on them, triple the price, dump them in the U.S. of A., along with all the other crap we send 'em and pocket the extra profit."

There's more to the story, but that's the basic information.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tonypaladino
10-05-2005, 07:48 PM
This is somewhat related, but there is a chinese resturant in Chinatown that I used to go to a few years ago. Me and my ex-gf would be the only two white people in the place. When we would come in and sit down, the hostess would come over with napkins and chopsticks, scowling, ask "You want forks?" and when we declined, she would smile and turn very nice.

Sifmole
10-06-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

btw, sfer (I think) is correct that, if you're paying >~ 15/plate, you're getting ripped off. fwiw, the rule of thumb about ratio of black hair to lighter colored hair in any asian restaurant is a good one to go by, and the black heads wouldn't stand for 15/plate prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one only chinese restaurant ( and it isn't really chinese but I wanted to avoid "oriental", no I don't know why.... ) where I paid > $15 a plate, was a sushi place. I am sure there are very high-class(price) chinese restaurants but I have never eaten there.

hedxcold
10-06-2005, 06:36 PM
the restaurant i go to in china town gives good chopsticks. i still suck with them though

ChipWrecked
10-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Some of us roundeye poseurs who use chopsticks but aren't very good at it, get better traction from the crappy ones.

================================================== =====

Chinese man on business in New York is exchanging currency at his hotel every morning. He is confused at why he is getting a different rate every day.

Manager: Fluctuations.

Chinese man: Ah. (heads for door and turns) Fluck you Americans, too!