PDA

View Full Version : I'm giving this game up

FUBAR
05-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Well not really giving it up. I have been playing Poker for nearly a year now mainly online, and have been a consistant tournament winner for about 8 months.
I build my bank roll up playing tournies and then lose it all playing side games and it is so frustrating, I know the easy answer is to give up side games but no one ever prospers going for the easy option.
I deposited £100 in paradise 1 months ago and now have $500 in there by playing 1 table tournies. I am going to give side games 1 last stab so I am after abit of advice.

1. I plan on playing 2/4 is my bank roll big enough?
2. I think I would be best playing super tight aggresive poker. IE No small pairs or low suited connectors in early middle position(small pairs 9 down)
3. Game selection, hmmmmmmm not got a clue about this one. What am I looking for?

Any pointers anyone can give me would be appreciated, I would be happy to be a break even player and then work on my game and hopefully show a little profit even if it takes a couple of years of playing break even poker

lorinda
05-21-2003, 10:12 AM
1. I plan on playing 2/4 is my bank roll big enough?

Depends....

The figure that is most popularly used is 300BB ($1200) but if you don't mind the rebuy then $500 would be ok for a good, but close crack of the whip.

3. Game selection, hmmmmmmm not got a clue about this one. What am I looking for

Ideally 40% seeing flop and $24 or more in the pot, on paradise you probably won't find this so settle for 36% or so.

deposited £100 in paradise 1 months ago and now have $500 in there by playing 1 table tournies. I am going to give side games 1 last stab so I am after abit of advice

You mention you are in no hurry for this, so here is a mini-gameplan off the top of my head.

Open a Neteller account, put $100 back on your CC, or whatever you bought in with, and put $200 into Neteller, you are now playing with "Other people's money" (It's your money, never forget that, but you say you dont mind being break even)

Use the $200 in Paradise and keep grinding in those tourneys.

Use the $200 in Neteller to pick up bonuses, and play the ring games (I think 1/2 sounds a little more like it would suit your current roll) to work off the bonuses, that way you are learning your ring game cheaply.

When you have doubled your Neteller roll, keep a $200 working capital for tourneys (assuming they are $11 tourneys) and think about moving to 2/4 when you are getting bigger deposit bonuses.

You might also want to step up a level in the tourneys as your roll increases.

Just some thoughts, certainly the ring games at Paradise are tougher than many.

Lori

Tom D
05-21-2003, 11:25 AM
My advice is a teeny bit less complicated than Lorinda’s. What I think you should do is take your $500 and play the best poker you can play; and if you lose it, buy in for more and play the best you can with that. Keep repeating this until you don’t want to anymore. If you don’t lose your $500, keep playing, but don’t buy in anymore.

Hope this helps.

Tom D