PDA

View Full Version : Best Pink Floyd Album

miajag81
10-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I don't recall it being done recently and the Best Pearl Jam album thread made me want to make a poll for a band where there's not an album that's clearly the best (i.e. Ten). Which is your favorite?

Bluffoon
10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Wish you were here by a mile.

miajag81
10-05-2005, 12:19 PM
I go back and forth between Wish You Were Here and Animals.

2planka
10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
It's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around.

IndieMatty
10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cdxx
10-05-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I go back and forth between Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

offTopic
10-05-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

miajag81
[ QUOTE ]
It's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. My favorite part of my favorite song.

The correct answer is Saucer Full of Secrets. The later stuff is too "rock and roll."

xorbie
10-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Animals. And Pigs is their best song IMO. Haven't heard Wish You Were Here though.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 12:29 PM
It is a repeat. The last time it was done the pollmaker was nice enough to include the pic the the naked chicks with the album covers on their backs too. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

miajag81
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Oops, my bad:
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/115/890/640/Back%20Catalog%20poster.jpg

SL__72
10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Animals got my vote.

Brainwalter
10-05-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a repeat. The last time it was done the pollmaker was nice enough to include the pic the the naked chicks with the album covers on their backs too. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that poll about which chick was the best? Not which album?

miajag81
10-05-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that poll about which chick was the best? Not which album?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, thats what I thought too.

captZEEbo1
10-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Anyone that doesn't pick DSOTM is just trying to be cool and different b/c that is the standard. But in reality, it's a standard for a reason, b/c it's one of the best albums of all time.

istewart
10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that doesn't pick DSOTM is just trying to be cool and different b/c that is the standard. But in reality, it's a standard for a reason, b/c it's one of the best albums of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. You can mention other albums, but if DSOTM isn't in your top two YSSCKY.

HtotheNootch
10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
For some reason I always liked The Final Cut.

10-05-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. You can mention other albums, but if DSOTM isn't in your top two YSSCKY, but not until you do the Wizard of Oz thing, and be high, it's crazy! Did you hear about the munchkin that killed himself while they were in the forest?

[/ QUOTE ]

FiP

slickpoppa
10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Music snobs try to pull the same crap with Stairway to Heaven.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wish you were here by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easily the only correct response.

AngryCola
10-05-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I always liked The Final Cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Final Cut is just awful when compared to every other Floyd album. It is truely the only time I was disappointed when I heard a new (for me) Floyd record. It shouldn't have been included in this poll at all.

I love Animals and Meddle, but the answer is Dark Side of the Moon.

Dave G.
10-05-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just can't top DSoTM, but these other two albums are loaded with pure awesomeness. Echoes is one of my favourite songs ever. 23 1/2 minutes, who could pull that off today?

UncleRemus
10-05-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You just can't top DSoTM, but these other two albums are loaded with pure awesomeness. Echoes is one of my favourite songs ever. 23 1/2 minutes, who could pull that off today?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just about any prog band.

I agree with everyone who said Wish You Were Here. While I find the title song mediocre at best, Shine On is one of my favorite songs of all time, enough to make WYWH the best Pink Floyd album.

xorbie
10-05-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mars Volta

Mason Hellmuth
10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
AMLOR AINC

captZEEbo1
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Piper at the Gates of Dawn. This is their most underappreciated album. IMO it's their 2nd best, right after DSOTM. Also, I really have no idea what the fuss over Animals is.

AngryCola
10-05-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I really have no idea what the fuss over Animals is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals > Piper at the Gates of Dawn

For the record, I bought and still own every Floyd album. While that doesn't make my opinion 'right', it does mean that I've listened to all of the albums quite a bit.

Piper is a pretty good, though.

zephed
10-05-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a tossup between DSOTM and WYWH.

10-05-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Final Cut is just awful when compared to every other Floyd album. It is truely the only time I was disappointed when I heard a new (for me) Floyd record. It shouldn't have been included in this poll at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
'The Final Cut' was pretty bad. But I'd say 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' was worse (don't you hate the 80s?).

Dave G.
10-05-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Piper at the Gates of Dawn. This is their most underappreciated album. IMO it's their 2nd best, right after DSOTM. Also, I really have no idea what the fuss over Animals is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great album too, but I don't think it's on the same level as their 70s stuff. The main difference is the lyrics, which have reason, purpose and power in their best albums, whereas on Piper, the lyrics are basically just manifestations of way too much acid dropped. It's still a great album, but not one that I'd put above their 70s masterpieces.

Animals is super.

AngryCola
10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' was worse (don't you hate the 80s?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's probably the second worst Floyd album, IMO. But it's not as bad as the Final Cut for a couple of reasons.

The Final Cut is bland. They might as well have called it "The Wall: Part 2 1/2." Never before had I heard a Floyd album that was just plain boring. Also, that was the album in which Roger Waters finally took more control than anyone else was comfortable with. Rick Wright (keyboard) wasn't even on Final Cut due to all that business.

Momentary Lapse of Reason was the first album post-Waters, and it was thankfully less bland than The Final Cut. There are a couple of decent songs on MLoR, like Sorrow and On The Turning Away (guilty pleasure song for me), but it clearly wasn't their best effort.

newhizzle
10-05-2005, 05:22 PM
very close between wish you were here and dark side of the moon, i voted dark side, the wall isnt too far behind, if we went by meaning id go with the wall, but music, one of the 2 i mentioned

cwsiggy
10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
The guy is my avatar hates Final Cut. He thinks DSOTM, but I like them all depending on the mood! Nothing beats a good Careful With that Axe Eugene though.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/cwsiggy/Pink-Floyd---Back-Catalog--C1008610.jpg

CORed
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in college, this was the album that everybody had (yes, I'm an old fart, and when I say album, I mean the big black vinyl thing). Nonetheless, I never got tired of it. DSOTM is also the best album ever created for the purpose of testing a stereo.

MonkeeMan
10-05-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nonetheless, I never got tired of it. DSOTM is also the best album ever created for the purpose of testing a stereo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Are You Experienced? a little better, but I'm older I think.

10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
On the drive home from work today the local classic rock station was "gettin' off at five" with Pink Floyd. I started thinking about which was my favorite PF album, then I find this post when i get home. Talk about a coincedence(sp?). Maybe I should watch the Wizard of Oz tonite.

P.S. It was a toss up between WYWH and DSOTM....voted WYWH

Matt Flynn
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
gotta go with Wish over Dark Side of the Moon, but it's a matter of taste. The Final Cut does not belong in the poll and should not be claimed by the band. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was weak but i had my best interaction with a Boston cop ever at that concert and to this day don't know what the guy in front of me was smoking but it went well with the music and the big pink pig, and so i am still fond of that album.

Eurotrash
10-05-2005, 06:57 PM
put me down for Dark Side of teh Moon

10-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

bravos1
10-05-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.. I went w/ WYWH

prana
10-05-2005, 07:09 PM
piper at the gates of dawn
meddle

dark side of the moon is for people like wannabe deadheads with steal your face stickers everywhere and only have really heard skeletons from the closet

Paxosmotic
10-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Gotta go Dark Side of the Moon but the next 3 albums are phenomenal as well. That's my band.

Uston
10-05-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
piper at the gates of dawn
meddle

dark side of the moon is for people like wannabe deadheads with steal your face stickers everywhere and only have really heard skeletons from the closet

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that you have Meddle, a poor man's DSOTM, rated as the second-best Floyd album, this statement is especially retarded.

KDawgCometh
10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
My personal fav is animals. It is musically probably their best album. It is an album that puts your through the wringer emotionally and that is something that I value in music. Needless to say, DSOTM is one of the greatest albums of all time, and I will never say otherwise, I just think that Animals is their best effort

ClassicBob
10-05-2005, 08:35 PM
So have a good time, while you go down, all aloooooone
Dragged down by the stone

Scotch78
10-05-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm just wondering, how many of the voters have actually heard at least ten of their albums? I'm guessing that at least 50% have only heard Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

Scott

brassnuts
10-05-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I go back and forth between Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotch78
10-05-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I bought and still own every Floyd album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zabriskie Point?

Scott