PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall/ Reinstall Office XP on a new computer?

kenberman
10-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Is it possible to uninstall Office XP on my old computer, and reinstall it on my new one?

I'm trying to avoid buying a new license...or getting an illegal one /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Link774
10-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't think that would be a problem, legally. Personally, I haven't done it, but you should be able to install another copy on another computer using the same key. If they notice a bunch of registrations using the same key I guess they might do something. If you want to be a rebel, you could probably get away with having a copy on each.

That said, you'll need the office installation cd and a valid license key to do so. There isn't some way to pull it off your old computer and put it on the new one.

kenberman
10-05-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you should be able to install another copy on another computer using the same key

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't do this with new versions of Office, b/c you need to register each license online w/ MS.

Link774
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
I think the license agreement allows you two installations (Technically it needs to be a laptop that only you use, though they probably have no way of checking that.) Here's a quote from their FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
Office XP or Office 2003 may be installed on one PC. The primary user of Office may also install one copy on a laptop computer for their exclusive use.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that doesn't work for you:

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to transfer a license to another computer?
Consumers should refer to the terms of their license agreement to determine whether or not it is legal to transfer a license to another computer. But in those cases where it is allowed, the product must first be removed from the previous computer. Users may be required to complete the activation on the new computer by placing a call to the Microsoft Activation Center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you just have to call them and tell them what you're doing, and they will allow it. I'm not sure how they can verify that you've uninstalled the product though. Here's the link to the full FAQ:

Microsoft Product Activation FAQ (http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx)

Link