PDA

View Full Version : Yet another car buying question

steelcmg
10-05-2005, 10:39 AM
So after decicdeing im going to get a new car i have an idea on what i want but am having trouble finding something now.
I can afford to get a car for about 11k so the payments are close to 200 a month. Here are some things im looking for

1. Must have less then 45k miles
2. Im looking for a midsize car so no civics.
3. i want either a strong 4 cyc engine or a 6.
4. for some reason foreign cars make my insurance like 300 more ever 6 months. So i guess i want to go american due to school loans i still owe.
5. i plan on driving around 20k+ miles a year and want the car for atleast 5 year so thats the reason for low mileage.
6. I want a 4 door car with decent room since im a tall guy.
7. i want something that gets around 25 MPG since ill be driving alot.

I think that this is kinda hard to find only wanting to spend about 11k it seems like everything is atleast 15k but then my payments are going to be 300 a month. I could probably afford this but would rather not since my work has been laying people off alot and verizon has said no more work until next year.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Ford Taurus?

steelcmg
10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
How are chevy malibus?

slickpoppa
10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
how about you get a lame dodge stratus

Shajen
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How are chevy malibus?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea.

HDPM
10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I would look at used chevy impalas. These are becoming workhorses in fleets and see some hard use. I see them advertised as low mileage certified used etc.... ofr around what you want to pay. Maybe a little more. But they get good safety ratings and pretty good mileage. I have the same engine as the bigger impala engine in a pontiac and often get better than 30 MPG on the highway. Some people think they are too boring and old people-like, but it sounds like it might be what you need.

steelcmg
10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
So far i have been lookig at a pontiac grand am gt, Chevy malibu i think its the same as an impala just a bit smaller. I Both are 2002 but the ratings they give say they only get like 20 mpg. Which seems kinda low to me.

HighestCard
10-05-2005, 11:20 AM
I drive a 01' grand prix GTP (supercharged motor). I get 24-25 mpg average city and highway driving. I'm also tall myself (6 foot 5) and have enough room in it. Its also a fun car to drive.

Note: you HAVE to use premium fuel if you get the GTP, so if you want some fun in your driving go for the GTP, if your just looking for a commuter, stick with the GT with the N/A 3800.

The 3800 engine is a VERY reliable motor. The only problems I've heard it has is the intake manifold lets water seep into the engine over 100k miles. If you get the GTP, it solves the problem because you have a supercharger sitting over your intake. (I have over 156k on my car now and its still going fine). This car should be within your price range easily.

Good luck,

HC

Inthacup
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Ford Taurus?

ahem...Ford cliTaurus

HDPM
10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
grand am is smaller. I have the grand prix GT, not the supercharged GTP the poster beloew has. I have the regular 3800 V-6. So far so good, I have 40K miles on it, so don't have experience w/ high mileage. As to the gas mileage, I bet that is combined mileage. I don't get great mileage on short trips in the city, but get good mileage on the highway. I don't like the grand am very well. Malibu seems OK, but is smaller and I thought it had different engines. I don't know much about it. I like the impalas and grand prix, I think these are good useful vehicles. GM front wheel drive V-6 cars seem to fit the bill for me.

astroglide
10-05-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The 3800 engine is a VERY reliable motor

[/ QUOTE ]

i've had lots of cars break on me, i've had lots of friends and family have cars that broke down on them. master cylinders, cv joints, catalytic converters, every kind of electronics system, you name it, but engines themselves aren't on my "things to really care about when considering a car's reliability" radar. it seems like everything else is what breaks. maybe a cracked head on an ancient car, but that's about it.

10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
In '02 I got an '01 Saturn LS, 4cyl. w/5k on it. 35k later, I'm still happy with it. Gets 32-33 hwy and avgs 29. Peppy, comfortable, looks good, as well made as anything I've owned.

steelcmg
10-05-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In '02 I got an '01 Saturn LS, 4cyl. w/5k on it. 35k later, I'm still happy with it. Gets 32-33 hwy and avgs 29. Peppy, comfortable, looks good, as well made as anything I've owned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i had to get a rental before and they gave me a 2004 saturn i thought it ran pretty decent and had a good amount of room.