PDA

View Full Version : Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

fnord_too
10-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm about 75% through this thing. I may or may not write a review of it for the books section, but it is pretty damn good. I don't agree with all of Phil's thoughts, he doesn't like coin flips early in MTT's, I do with even a razor thin edge. Other than that though, he presents a pretty solid system of play that is applicable to cash games and tournies (though it is more aimed at tournies). If you really haven't a clue about how to play post flop, this will give you a good foundation.

lorinda
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't like coin flips early in MTT's, I do with even a razor thin edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be simply because he's from the school that plays/played a tourney every day against retards, while you play 20 tourneys a day against reasonably good players?

These factors are enormous, because one of you needs the higher ROI while the other one needs the higher hourly rate.

Lori

fnord_too
10-05-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't like coin flips early in MTT's, I do with even a razor thin edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be simply because he's from the school that plays/played a tourney every day against retards, while you play 20 tourneys a day against reasonably good players?

These factors are enormous, because one of you needs the higher ROI while the other one needs the higher hourly rate.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

To put this in perspective, Paul Phillips' and Mason Malmuth's writings (as well as a few noted MTTers like MLG) are what turned me into someone who will push thin edges for all my chips early on; I think it actually adds to ROI. Mason has a nice article in one of the poker essay books that basicly advocates embracing variance early in order to mitigate it later. To oversimplify, negative variance early hurts you a lot less than it does later, and rising blinds ensure that you will be in high variance spots later.

Also, I don't play that many MTT's any more, at my height I maybe played 15/week. And I played, gladly, against a lot of retards /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I think possibly stack to blind ratios (in live events) influences his philosopy. Still, (and if I wasn't such a weenie (sp) I would employ the search function and find the threads) Paul Phillips only plays big buy in live events and has the exact opposite oppinion. Additionally, Gordon sais that what he presents is his own system and notes that it may not be the best, but is what works for him. As I said, most of what he writes I agree with, and the stuff I don't necessarily aggree with is certainly debatable material.

mmbt0ne
10-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Phil went to GT. Whatever he says is right. /images/graemlins/smile.gif