PDA

View Full Version : Is this racism?

Shajen
10-05-2005, 10:09 AM
There's this sports AM radio station that has these two guys on in the afternoon for the drive home or whatever.

They have lately been on this kick where they call different barbershops in the US and ask them about their sports team.

Last week they called a barber shop in South Central LA and asked them about UCLA, the Angels, Dodgers, etc.

During the call, one of the hosts asked the lady who answered the phone how many white people there were living in South Central. She responded with "not a lot". He then asked why, did they have a problem with white people or what?

She said no, they didn't, and was pretty uncomfortable. The guy then asked if she liked white people, or had any issues with white people, etc. Really uncomfortable radio. They do [censored] like this all the time. A few days ago, it was "those crazy negroes" and "black dudes are crazy" during another segment.

Is this racism?

miajag81
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/259/racist2tf.gif

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Apparently they think this kind of thing makes for good radio. There's a local sportswriter and radio guy here, Dan LeBatard) that tries to drag racism into everything. If there are any two people of different races involved in something then it's 100% guaranteed he'll be on the air that afternoon trying to stir people up abour racism.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 10:14 AM
but do you feel it's racist?

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, but I don't really care about the definition of the word. To me it's just annoying.

obsidian
10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Not sure if it is racist but it sure as hell isn't funny or entertaining.

10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
They should know better and consider other peoples feelings, but if they know they are not racist...then whatever, but it's stupid calling black people negroes.

Mr_J
10-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Racial tension has made americans so sensitive/uptight.

Black people are negros. It's basically the equiv of caucasian (well negroid is, but no doubt people will have problems with that too lol).

10-05-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if it is racist but it sure as hell is funny and entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paluka
10-05-2005, 10:45 AM
It isn't being a racist, but it is being as [censored].

B Dids
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Lebatard's views on race tend to be pretty on point from what I've read.

The radio bit described in the OP sounds pretty damn ignorant.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You find it entertaining?

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Even the other people on his own radio station bitch about him. He goes off on some racial tangent about every other day. Anytime there's a fight between two players, a player and a coach, a player and an official, anyone of two races, he goes off regardless of whether he even knows anything about the situation. He's a complete jackass. The media needs to stop stirring up this crap.

obsidian
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That was a typo. A bad one too.

Not sure if it is racist but it sure as hell isn't funny or entertaining

B Dids
10-05-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Even the other people on his own radio station bitch about him. He goes off on some racial tangent about every other day. Anytime there's a fight between two players, a player and a coach, a player and an official, anyone of two races, he goes off regardless of whether he even knows anything about the situation. He's a complete jackass. The media needs to stop stirring up this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The resonse I have to this question just delves into an argument that's a little too sophisticated for OOT in general and you specifically.

All I'll say is that race matters, and it and the biases that are attached to it have a much greater affect that people who don't have to deal with them probably realize.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All I'll say is that race matters, and it and the biases that are attached to it have a much greater affect that people who don't have to deal with them probably realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not disagreeing with this. However, this doesn't mean the media should go out of its way to antagonize people by creating tension where there isn't any. There are enough real racial issues without this crap.

M2d
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
It's insensitive to other people's feelings. it's rude. it's not funny. whether it's racist or not apparently depends on whichever working definition the rainbow coalition that is OOT decides on for that day.
I'd say yes, it is.

10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She responded with "not a lot". He then asked why, did they have a problem with white people or what?

She said no, they didn't, and was pretty uncomfortable. The guy then asked if she liked white people, or had any issues with white people, etc. Really uncomfortable radio.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Radio like this exposes people's ugliness. If you think about it, there is absolutely no reason she should be uncomfortable with these questions. Puttting weak minded people on the spot is always amusing and highly entertaining. Exposing their closed minded attitudes is a valuable public service imo.

10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That was a typo. A bad one too.

Not sure if it is racist but it sure as hell isn't funny or entertaining

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Now that's funny (scroll up)

M2d
10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about the woman in the barbershop, so how do you make the leap from
[ QUOTE ]
Radio like this exposes people's ugliness. If you think about it, there is absolutely no reason she should be uncomfortable with these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]
to
[ QUOTE ]
Puttting weak minded people on the spot is always amusing and highly entertaining. Exposing their closed minded attitudes is a valuable public service imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
what about this makes the woman "weak minded"? what about this should be her fault? If anything, it exposes the hosts as insensitive assholes. given the context of the questioning, the forum in which the questions were asked and the probable situation the woman was in (living day to day in a historically racially charged neighborhood), there's no reason to believe she should have been comfortable with it at all.

10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what about this makes the woman "weak minded"? what about this should be her fault?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that she got uncomfortable. When someone asks "Do you have a problem with white people" anyone without issues would say "No, why should I?" or something similar. If you asked the same question about Brazilians, native Africans, or Asians, I'm quite sure she'd react differently. So she probably has racial issues regarding whites, or else an inability to act assertively when someone asks about her beliefs. Either makes her weak minded.

M2d
10-05-2005, 11:37 AM
where do you get weak minded from uncomfortable? sure, in eden, this would likely be a giveaway, but you haven't even considered the history of south central LA. given that, I restate that I'd expect her to be uncomfortable with this type of questioning.

ObnxNole
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Borderline racism yes.

10-05-2005, 11:54 AM
No, asking someone if they don't like white people isn't racist.

It's pandering.

Stop coming up with these stupid racism threads, you whistleblower.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, asking someone if they don't like white people isn't racist.

It's pandering.

Stop coming up with these stupid racism threads, you whistleblower.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Are you retarded?

10-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Every racist thread in OOT seems to come from you. Just stop it.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any idea what you are talking about. However, I would like to take this time to ask you to kindly go [censored] yourself.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have any idea what you are talking about. However, I would like to take this time to ask you to kindly go [censored] yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

He lives in Atlanta. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<font color="white"> That should stir the pot nicely. </font>

10-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Examples of racism: Every Chappelle show, Paul "Tiny hands" Mooney, Chris Rock, DL Hughley, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc.

There are only like 4 black funny guys that can be funny without leaning on racism constantly: Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy, Patrice O'Neal, Damon Wayans. The rest are not funny at all. DL Hughly, Chris Rock, Tracey Morgan, Paul Mooney, Mr. 3000... these guys aren't true comedians.

10-05-2005, 12:25 PM
You had another one where you kept insisting that your friend was racist...because he said he'd never date a black girl. Get a life.

10-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Who lives in Atlanta??

PoBoy321
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
It's not racist, per se, but it is certainly ignorant and insensitive.

wacki
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a question, and a legit one. Anybody that doesn't think there is a difference between the typical behaviors or a black person and a white person, the athletic abilities of a typical black person vs white person, the brain of a female vs a male, or the typical behaviors of a gay person and a straight person, or even the typical behavior of an american and japanese is delusional. It's not racism it's reality. Now if you make laws or punish people due to a stereotype, that's racism.

PoBoy321
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Examples of what everyone thinks is racism but is actually just insensitivity: Every Chappelle show, Paul "Tiny hands" Mooney, Chris Rock, DL Hughley, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chappelle's Show, Paul Mooney, Chris Rock, they aren't racist. Granted, they often prey on current racial attitudes and stereotypes for a large part of their humor, but that isn't racist.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You had another one where you kept insisting that your friend was racist...because he said he'd never date a black girl. Get a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're confusing me with someone else.

10-05-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Examples of what everyone thinks is racism but is actually just insensitivity: Every Chappelle show, Paul "Tiny hands" Mooney, Chris Rock, DL Hughley, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chappelle's Show, Paul Mooney, Chris Rock, they aren't racist. Granted, they often prey on current racial attitudes and stereotypes for a large part of their humor, but that isn't racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine Mooney, Chappelle and Rock were all white dudes. Replace all their white jokes with black jokes.

Still feel the same way??

Mooney is the worst. His inherent hatred of all things caucasian just oozes from his tiny shoulders, hands, and oblong-shapen head.

I love being lumped in with the mistakes of some American Whites from the 1700's to the mid-1800's, especially since each branch of my family tree was back in Ireland during this time period.

Me = blue eyed white boy = "ancestors must have pwned slaves." This logic from a large sector of the African-American population is ignorant and sickening.

10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
If so, then my mistake.

BTW, who started that other thread?

PoBoy321
10-05-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Imagine Mooney, Chappelle and Rock were all white dudes. Replace all their white jokes with black jokes.
Still feel the same way??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I'd still feel the same way. Their jokes may be ignorant and insensitive, but they're not racist.

[ QUOTE ]

Me = blue eyed white boy = "ancestors must have pwned slaves." This logic from a large sector of the African-American population is ignorant and sickening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it would be ignorant of an african-american to assume, because you're white, that your family owned slaves. It is not, however, racist.

Mars357
10-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Not that it has anyting to do with anything but are the DJs white or black?

Shajen
10-05-2005, 01:21 PM
There was a thread... this one maybe? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=3459268&amp;Fo rum=,,f20,,&amp;Words=racist&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=75&amp;Mai n=3459268&amp;Search=true&amp;where=sub&amp;Name=&amp;daterange=1&amp; newerval=20&amp;newertype=w&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyp rev=#Post3459268) I dunno.

Either way, that was rather unexpected. I was like WTF? It's all good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not that it has anyting to do with anything but are the DJs white or black?

[/ QUOTE ]

white

daryn
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what about this makes the woman "weak minded"? what about this should be her fault?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that she got uncomfortable. When someone asks "Do you have a problem with white people" anyone without issues would say "No, why should I?" or something similar. If you asked the same question about Brazilians, native Africans, or Asians, I'm quite sure she'd react differently. So she probably has racial issues regarding whites, or else an inability to act assertively when someone asks about her beliefs. Either makes her weak minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find myself agreeing with this man

Sephus
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"ancestors must have pwned slaves."

[/ QUOTE ]

my ancestors pwned slaves at lawn bowling.

PoBoy321
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
my ancestors pwned slaves at lawn bowling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

HopeydaFish
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're confusing me with someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was a girl who started that thread, not you.

HopeydaFish
10-05-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If so, then my mistake.

BTW, who started that other thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a regular poster on here. It was a 20 year old girl. And it was about her co-worker saying that he'd never marry a black girl.

daryn
10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
man, i just saw the hottest black chick EVERRRRR in baja fresh. i would marry her on the spot

Sponger15SB
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my ancestors [b]beat slaves to death and raped their wives[b]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

imported_The Vibesman
10-05-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Examples of racism: Every Chappelle show, Paul "Tiny hands" Mooney, Chris Rock, DL Hughley, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc.

There are only like 4 black funny guys that can be funny without leaning on racism constantly: Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy, Patrice O'Neal, Damon Wayans. The rest are not funny at all. DL Hughly, Chris Rock, Tracey Morgan, Paul Mooney, Mr. 3000... these guys aren't true comedians.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have selective perception. If Hughley, Rock, and Mooney et. al. are guilty of what you say, then definitely so are Martin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy, Patrice O'Neal and Damon Wayans. Murphy did tons of jokes about whites and gays. Patrice O'Neal's entire schtick on Colin Quinn's show was the angry white-bashing black dude. Damon Wayans was fired from SNL for being too racial, and his standup has long included bits from that pool. Martin Lawrence has never been funny for one second in his life, and I honestly can't say what his material consists of, as I've never been able to stick with him for more than 5 minutes.

Jokes about the behavior of different types of people are a staple of comedy since time out of mind. That's not going to change. Most of these comedians also joke about the differences between black people in different neighborhoods, or from different time periods. Chappelle Show seems to perpetuate stereotypes on both sides of the fence; c'mon, the Rick James bits? His Prince impressions? Those "playa hatah" guys that dress like pimps and talk in jive?
Chris Rock seems to me to tell more jokes about black people than he does about any other topic, most of them denigrating jokes. They're also hiliarous; Chris is without a doubt the smartest, fastest, funniest comedian working today. To put it in baseball terms, he has all his pitches working beautifully at this stage of his career.

Mooney does seem to have that "white-hating" thing down. I'm not that big a fan of him, it seems one-sided a lot of the time. I don't know enough of his material to argue that. I've seen some of Hughley's show and I don't see this racist angle.

Sharpton and Jackson, I've seen them sometimes and they're not that funny, although Jesse has his moments.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 02:08 PM
My ancestors did own slaves. What the hell does that have to do with me? I'm pretty sure most slaves' ancestors owned slaves too.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My ancestors did own slaves. What the hell does that have to do with me? I'm pretty sure most slaves' ancestors owned slaves too.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? was this meant for someone else?

HopeydaFish
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my ancestors beat slaves to death and raped their wives[b]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they beat the slaves to death? That's a -EV play.

MCS
10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
What race are the radio hosts? That matters. It's certainly insensitive, and whether or not it's "racist" seems like semantics to me. That's such a charged word. But I think it's inappropriate and probably unacceptable, and probably even "racist."

But of course, it's all freedom-and-equality-loving-libertarian to say how race wouldn't be an issue if "people didn't keep bringing it up." Which is nonsense.

And the argument that "black people can say things whites can't" is stupid too. Of course they can. As a culture, they have different experiences and different sensitivities than whites. Whites can say things that blacks can't as well, you know. They just don't often feel the need to, because whites happen to be the privileged race in this country.

If you're RaceA, it's really hard to understand what it's like to be part of RaceB.

10-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I said there are about 4 black comedians that CAN BE funny without race.

All the others are not funny unless they are telling a racial joke. Those guys are like the Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, et al, of comedy...all bubble-gum.

Chris Rock at the top of his game!? lol. Right. We get it, J-Lo has a big ass.

Martin Lawrence not funny!? Rent "You So Crazy".

imported_The Vibesman
10-05-2005, 03:07 PM
K' dude. We'll agree to disagree. Anyone who thinks Chris Rock is not funny or can't be funny without being racial, and at the same time thinks Martin Lawrence is funny is not going to find common ground with my idea of funny.

I'd say I think you're in the minority, but you'd probably think that's racist.

Phoenix1010
10-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I never had a taste for that brand of black comedy which relies heavily on a race, and mostly on bashing white people. There are some people who can do it and still be very funny (Chris Rock), but most of it falls flat on it's face in my eyes.

In the ghetto, there's an attitude of disdain and often hatred toward white people that I never understood as I was growing up (I had to deal with a lot of [censored] for looking like a white kid). I never agreed with reverse racism as a means of getting even, and since the few white people that I did know seemed to be very intelligent and open minded people, I didn't think there was anything current to get even for. As I've grown up and integrated myself in predominantly white communities, I've learned that this kind of ignorance is still prevalent on the other side as well. I've encountered tons of people who just seem to have no respect for other cultures, either because they still hold onto the same ethnocentric roots as those they have such distaste for, or because they're part of this... new thing which is so dominant among middle class white kids that I don't really know how to explain yet.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? was this meant for someone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. There were a bunch of these slave owner posts and I didn't feel like picking which one to respond to because they're all pretty stupid.

Hal 2000
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM
If SPORTS radio hosts have to resort to this, they are obviously hacks, who can't come up with enough banter amongst themselves, or scare up enough good guests to get the ratings.

Sephus
10-05-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my ancestors beat slaves to death and raped their wives

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

but your version doesn't work without mine coming first.