PDA

View Full Version : Downswings

10-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Currently on a 24 consec tourney downswing. I dropped down to the 55's from 109's and was ITM first 4 tourneys. Now I follow that up with a 24 tourney downswing. Even with variance I do not see how anyone can go 24 in a row (and not multitabling either)! Funny thing is the reason I dropped to 55's is I felt it coming. It feels like someone at PP has turned the never win again switch on! Up until this past month I was a 40%ITM at 109's now I don't think I can ever win? I hit a 20 tourney downswing on the 109's a couple of weeks ago as well and fought back with a semi successfull run. My question to the more experienced players is this a sign to get out or do good players experience dry runs this bad. Two 20+ tourney downswings in a month at two levels!!

Chris Daddy Cool
10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
my biggest out of the money streak was 12.

play enough poker and crazy things will happen....

Mr_J
10-05-2005, 09:34 AM
"I was a 40%ITM at 109's"

So you were running hot...

10-05-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you were running hot...

[/ QUOTE ]

A hot streak that runs 250+ games seems a little extreme but yes that thought had occurred to me? Even at that 2 20+ downswings in one month? I can't believe this to be common even for the worst of fish!! But that is my question to the experienced players here.

Mr_J
10-05-2005, 10:09 AM
"A hot streak that runs 250+ games seems a little extreme"

It may seem like a good sample since it'd take awhile (you were single tabling??), but it's actually quite a small sample, and is pretty meaningless. That's just a normal 2-3 days work for some people here.

"I can't believe this to be common even for the worst of fish!! But that is my question to the experienced players here."

What you encountered isn't rare at all, even for solid winners. Sounds like you dropped roughly 40 buyins overall, and while that's ugly, it's definately possible to run this bad. Most serious players have run this bad or worse at some point, and probally more than once.

10-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks excellent reply! I guess I was looking at the lengthy time frame as 24 tourneys seems like a lifetime when you can only play 2 or 3 a night. It does help to know that seasoned veterans hit this tipe of swing. I just didnt think it was possible to drop 24 in a row! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

1C5
10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
25 in a row is my record.

MegaBet
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
We seem to have this meaningless discussion every week. Variance happens. Downswings happen. Upswings happen. I'm sure when you were placing in 6 tourneys in a row you weren't complaining. It's much more likely to have a long OOTM streak than an in the money streak. That's poker. Live with it or leave. It happens to everyone.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-05-2005, 11:00 AM
I have had some long down swings (20 or so)and in the middle of all the variance I usually find a few things I am doing wrong... I might even consider it very minor tilt... mixed with some bad luck... they seem to go hand in hand. Check you HH to be sure you have not adjusted you play slightly...

10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We seem to have this meaningless discussion every week

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry fairly I am fairly new here. I did a FAQ search and ran across a few posts but they did not answer my basic question. Is 24 OOTM's common, somewhat common??

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure when you were placing in 6 tourneys in a row you weren't complaining

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't complaining just a newby wondering if this type of streak common, uncommon, or unheard of for good to above average players.

[ QUOTE ]
Live with it or leave

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I thought this forum was for posting questions and soliciting feedback. Luckily a few of the posters have provided constructive feedback and I thank them. Did I catch you on a bad day mega?

MegaBet
10-05-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I thought this forum was for posting questions and soliciting feedback. Luckily a few of the posters have provided constructive feedback and I thank them. Did I catch you on a bad day mega?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies for my rather sniping post. This question is posted here once or twice a week at least. It just gets frustrating when you see the same question again...and again...and again. I post here fairly often so I probably see these duplicate threads more than most. The search function will help you. Just last week there was a thread on "what is your longest OOTO streak". I'll find it for you.

MegaBet
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3453777&page=&view=&s b=5&o=

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3539623&page=&view=&s b=5&o=

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3502957&page=&view=&s b=5&o=

MGM, the search function came up with these matches, all within the last couple of weeks. Enjoy.

10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I dont think I'll ever get tired of any type of any post!!
I mean if you don't like it don't read on.
Geez 24 in a row one at a time!!! That is horrible
Wait no, ok yes HORRIBLE!!! I would have needed meds after 15 in a row 1 table at a time. Good luck bro. You are due

Nicholasp27
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
you're never due for good luck (or bad luck)

10-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks. So you only found three that were identical??LOL.. Those were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MegaBet
10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. So you only found three that were identical??LOL.. Those were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped looking after 3 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lacky
10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
for some perspective, I've averaged about 15% ROI over thousands of sng's, 55 to 215's, and have had periods over 300 sng's long not making a profit. The "normal" fluctuations in poker are worse than most understand.

Steve