PDA

View Full Version : The Academy of American Poets

Zeno
05-21-2003, 03:22 AM
The Academy of American Poets lovingly sped a note my way soliciting some money for membership. This paltry group of mangy hacks and sentimental sycophants want support for poetry because:

“…you will become an important financial patron of this great national tradition—and an art form which, without your help, cannot be self-sustaining.”

The good news is that it cannot be “self-sustaining” though an explanation for this phenomenon was not included in the sobbing note they send me.

Also included in the blubbering blurb was this gem (a quote from Marie Bullock, the founder):

‘Upon enrolling in Columbia University, she was outraged to find that “poets I had looked forward to meeting in class were not given the time off from such jobs as soda-fountain jerk – or salesmen in a clothing store – to come and read.” ‘

The implications of the above quote are too nauseating to explore.

This lurching, lachrymose letter left me limp. Other overwrought themes were employed to garner support including stabs about the World Trade Center/September Eleventh Tragedies.

Also included was a special note, “From the Desk of: Tree Swenson, Executive Director.”

On the basis of the name alone, this individual should be hanging from the Golden Gate Bridge by a piano wire, slowly twisting in the fog, food for birds, bugs and flies.

I will not be joining.
I’m off to read some Juvenal.

-Zeno

MMMMMM
05-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Well, contribute or not to whatever you like...

If tastes in Art had not declined so greatly over generations, poets today would have a better chance of actually earning a living through poetry. Great poets such as Robert Burns and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow not only became famous, they earned good money with their works. It's depressing that many of today's musicians make millions churning out garbage while poets make pennies crafting true works of art. Of course most of today's poetry is inferior as well. Rod McKuen that hit it big somehow, probably through slick marketing, but...ughhhhhh.

What tastes in Art can we expect from a public who prefers soap operas and rap music over literature, poetry and Classical music? It's sad...really, really sad. And when I get the occasional glimpse of today's poetry it's usually sad too. I read a poem in some magazine or newspaper and I want to run and grab an earlier poet's work just to remove the aftertaste.

nicky g
05-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Occasionally, when I get very very drunk, I'll do a "Rap is the poetry of today" spiel. I think there really is a case for some rap being amongst the most innovative and exciting uses of language today, but admittedly it's few and far between. Then again, most poetry is awful too - that's why the good stuff is so good. Paul Muldoon, who just won the Pulitzer for his latest collection, is a must.

MMMMMM
05-21-2003, 11:25 AM
I suppose there are some good poetic lyrics in any genre of music--even rap. But why must they spit out the words at us?

Thanks for the recommendation--I'm off to see if I can pull up some Muldoon on the web...

nicky g
05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Cool, though I warn you, he's an acquired taste.

nicky g
05-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Here's a link to one of my favourite short Muldoon poems, Aftermath (it's near the end of the article), which is obliquely about the Irish Troubles. Hope you like it (it's not very Longfellow-like, I fear!)

Aftermath (http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,3867763,00.html)