PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a real, life-changing day?

diebitter
10-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Not a stop and make you think day or event, but something that changed your perspective on life permanently?

Here's mine:

I was going out with a girl, and I eventually got around to telling her I loved her (dont anyone satrt that 'you told her first!' crap), and she started acting odd. I wasn’t sure how to take it, so didn’t say anything.

And here's my life-changing day:
The next morning I went to work, but was sad, thinking on her, and also thinking about my Grandfather for some reason. He’d been the only father figure I’d had, a good, kind man, and he’d died a few years before. I’d cycled past the place he was cremated, though it was out of my way, and he was on my mind.

I got to work, and had to go to the dean’s office (I worked in a medical school bar). He told me my job was finishing, they didn't need me any more. Tough, I worked my shift, and then rung my girl – needing some sympathy. She dumped me. She didn’t want to get into anything serious. I felt absolutely terrible.

No job, no girl, and really missing the only grown-up guy that meant anything to me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I went outside, sat on the steps of the medical school while people passed, giving me funny looks (you just didn’t do that). I looked up, and it was a beautiful sunny sky, with clouds here and there. And then I started laughing, really laughing, laughing at how this had turned into the worst day ever, when just the day before I was getting all excited about telling the girl I loved that I loved her. I said something like ‘what, no rain? You might as well put the cherry on the cake!’ or something like that up to the sky, and grinning and laughing like an idiot. And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

I guess you can take so much crap before you just think ‘to hell with it. It’s not going to drag me down’.

daryn
10-05-2005, 05:29 AM
it would have been better if it started raining.. like, if when you looked up, a raindrop fell into your eye. yeah.. that would have been awesome.

bugstud
10-05-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it would have been better if it started raining.. like, if when you looked up, a raindrop fell into your eye. yeah.. that would have been awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by raindrop, you mean a bum peeing in his eye, I agree.

interesting story though, looks like I need to lose a job and a girlfriend in a couple hours sometime.

daveymck
10-05-2005, 05:44 AM
My life changing day was nearly 8 years ago.

At that point was working in Finance in a hospital, was 25 still living at home with my parents going out with the lads drinking 6 nights a week pretty much carefree stressfree life. Hadnt had a girlfriend in two years after a five year realtionship and wasnt that bothered.

Works night out ended up clubbing around 1am club is busy so we didnt have seats couple of us were standing round a table in the middle of the floor some other people we didnt know, was two girls standing there one getting chatted up the other listening in to the friends conversation, I said was rude to listen into her friends conversation, turned out she worked at the hospital too, got chatting to her for the rest of the night. From that day on I ended up in a world of divorce, marrige break ups, step kids and stupid exes and within 6 months was living with her in another town and barely out with the lads, a year and a half after that I was a dad.

Vavavoom
10-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Well, I lost (My choice though) my GF and the job is looking dangerously bad at the moment.....so maybe we can meet up for a beer.....and play Poker in an internet cafe !

Us English 2+2ers have gotta stick together.....

deacsoft
10-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Some people react differently to types of trauma. I believe it to be the #1 thing that can shape an adult's mentality. Others may call it growing up when it happens for the better.

-Skeme-
10-05-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something.

daryn
10-05-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by "But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something" you mean, "everything you said was perfect as is", well then i agree.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

I guess you can take so much crap before you just think ‘to hell with it. It’s not going to drag me down’.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have days like that periodically but they never take permanently.

diebitter
10-05-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have days like that periodically but they never take permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just came together right - I was lucky.

-Skeme-
10-05-2005, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if by "But instead, it was like, sulfuric acid or something" you mean, "everything you said was perfect as is", well then i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would be incredibly weak. If not acid, then lemon juice at least.

stigmata
10-05-2005, 07:36 AM
I guess I had the same thing as you, but kinda reversed.

I was living alone in London, and didn't have many friends. London can be lonely if you are isolated. I worked hard but didn't like my workmates or work that much. I didn't have a girlfriend for a long time. Basically I was sad & lonely, but like you say, kind of "resigned" to it, such that I never let myself fall into full blown depression. I was still chatty and jokey at work and with family, nobody really noticed.

One day an email arrived in my inbox -- from freinds reunited of all place. It was from an old flame. Unfinished business. Before even opening the email, I knew my life had changed dramatically and irrevocably. 4 years later, I have moved from London (which I hated), have an active social life, and am getting married next year!

InchoateHand
10-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Wow, you are a loser. Its good for society that you are content with that.

4thstreetpete
10-05-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a stop and make you think day or event, but something that changed your perspective on life permanently?

Here's mine:

I was going out with a girl, and I eventually got around to telling her I loved her (dont anyone satrt that 'you told her first!' crap), and she started acting odd. I wasn’t sure how to take it, so didn’t say anything.

And here's my life-changing day:
The next morning I went to work, but was sad, thinking on her, and also thinking about my Grandfather for some reason. He’d been the only father figure I’d had, a good, kind man, and he’d died a few years before. I’d cycled past the place he was cremated, though it was out of my way, and he was on my mind.

I got to work, and had to go to the dean’s office (I worked in a medical school bar). He told me my job was finishing, they didn't need me any more. Tough, I worked my shift, and then rung my girl – needing some sympathy. She dumped me. She didn’t want to get into anything serious. I felt absolutely terrible.

No job, no girl, and really missing the only grown-up guy that meant anything to me /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I went outside, sat on the steps of the medical school while people passed, giving me funny looks (you just didn’t do that). I looked up, and it was a beautiful sunny sky, with clouds here and there. And then I started laughing, really laughing, laughing at how this had turned into the worst day ever, when just the day before I was getting all excited about telling the girl I loved that I loved her. I said something like ‘what, no rain? You might as well put the cherry on the cake!’ or something like that up to the sky, and grinning and laughing like an idiot. And I swear, since that day, I have been a really, deep-down, happy person – what’s that about, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great story, I'm kinda like that too. During the last few years I've really developed a '[censored] the world attitude' and have been genuinely happy with myself. If I were to be depressed about something, I would have so much to be sad about. I chose to be happy instead and not let things drag me down.

RunDownHouse
10-05-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're doing an excellent job of channeling ThinMan today.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that was pretty [censored] up.

diebitter
10-05-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great story, I'm kinda like that too. During the last few years I've really developed a '[censored] the world attitude' and have been genuinely happy with myself. If I were to be depressed about something, I would have so much to be sad about. I chose to be happy instead and not let things drag me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate what you mean here, and it is an admirable approach to the world's BS, but it wasn't really '[censored] the world', it was more 'gee, the world ain't so bad, even on a pretty bad day'.

Smelling the roses instead of the BS they grow in, I guess.

10-05-2005, 11:57 AM
911 was life-changing for all of us, and I live in Houston.

diebitter
10-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Of course, but I sort of meant this on a personal level.

10-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Well, not knowing if the chemical plants in my hometown were going to get terrorized, and knowing that America would be changed forever, and that the economy would take (what turned out to be) a 2-3 year hit, certainly affected us all on a personal level.

Other than that, I can't think of a day that only altered my life drastically. I'm assuming it will be they day my kid is born or if a loved one dies prematurely or something. In my instance, I haven't reached this day yet.

tonypaladino
10-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I can't narrow it down to one moment, but this summer was like that for me. I dumped my girlfriend in February after agonizing over whether or not to do it for almost a year.

I was depressed as hell, then o April 1, I broke my foot, and was confined in my home for 2-3 weeks (how I got started in online pok*r and found 2+2 btw).

I was really depressed and thought about killing myself almost every day. I stopped talking to most of my friends, because I became depressed when I did. Then by the end of the month, 4 new people started at my job, who were all really awesome people, and we became friends really fast.

I spend the whole summer hanging out with this new group of friends, and at one point during the summer, I was drinking a beer with my friends, and realized how totally happy I was.

People who knew me from more than 6 months ago cannot beleive how happy I seem all the time, and I think I'm finally truely enjoing my life.

Congratulations on realizeing you're a happy person. I hope life stays good for both of us,.

kipin
10-05-2005, 03:52 PM
I walked onto an escalator going up with my left foot today.