PDA

View Full Version : Pot-Limit Book

10-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Hey guys,

Looking for a good book that covers in-depth Pot-Limit Hold 'em. I don't play tournaments but mostly cash games.

Any point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Li.

imported_PocketAces
10-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi:

The best book on the market is Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker by Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben.

Aceshigh7
10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Pot Limit & No Limit Championship Hold'em by T.J Cloutier & Tom McEvoy is an excellent book.

betgo
10-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Reubens' "How Good is Your Pot Limit Holdem" is the obvious choice.

In reality there is not a lot of difference between pot limit holdem in Europe and no limit holdem in the US, as a cash game.

Therefore, Brunson's section in Super System (which is somewhat dated) and Harrington on Holdem (which is geared to tournaments) are probably the best resources.

Cooker
10-05-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reubens' "How Good is Your Pot Limit Holdem" is the obvious choice.

In reality there is not a lot of difference between pot limit holdem in Europe and no limit holdem in the US, as a cash game.

Therefore, Brunson's section in Super System (which is somewhat dated) and Harrington on Holdem (which is geared to tournaments) are probably the best resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked his PL Omaha book and his sections in the PL and NL poker book, however, I think some of his advice can be a little strange. For instance he check calls with a straight flush on the end in How Good is Your PL Omaha? because it is the idiot end of the straight flush (his opponent actually flopped quads and slowplayed letting him hit the SF cheaply). I can't imagine seeing monsters under the bed of that nature. Also, I think he recommends folding KK preflop to a raise and reraise in PL holdem early in the holdem book. At most any table I have played at this would be a terrible mistake. Take his advice with a grain of salt and consider the makeup of the table before you play too tight.

jojobinks
10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pot Limit & No Limit Championship Hold'em by T.J Cloutier & Tom McEvoy is an excellent book.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the record, it is not. let's not steer the noob astray.

Aceshigh7
10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, it is. It is a very worthwhile book and has been recommended by pro's and amateurs alike as one of the best works on PL & NL for years.

If you broaden your horizons beyond the typical 2+2 groupthink you might realize that.

orange
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. It is poorly written, and much of the advice is weak/tight.

Luv2DriveTT
10-07-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. It is poorly written, and much of the advice is weak/tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

its crap.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

tdp
10-07-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first nl book I studied and it's truly horrible.It does a decent job at survival strategy but it doesn't teach chip accumulation at all.I had to unlearn this book to become a successful player.

bygmesterf
10-07-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, it is. It is a very worthwhile book and has been recommended by pro's and amateurs alike as one of the best works on PL & NL for years.

If you broaden your horizons beyond the typical 2+2 groupthink you might realize that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, I liked Championship PL/NL. If you read what cloutier has said elsewhere people missread him as being super solid. He's solid, but underneath he has alot of moves. But you can only/should only make moves against weakness. Hence the need to learn to read situations and be solid.

PL is different from NL, and this book scratches the surface of that. NL is about making big raises, PL is about getting in cheap, and escalating te pot so you can make big bets on the turn.

Another book with a good treatment of PL Hold'em is Mahmood's science of poker.