PDA

View Full Version : improving on the intangibles

lmw
10-05-2005, 04:39 AM
Does anyone have any tips for improving one's discipline and concentration? I have been playing and studying to improve my game for a little over a year now, and feel like i have a pretty good grasp of the basic winning principles of SSNL. Recently, I have noticed a disturbing trend, where i have made plays I knew where incorrect. I'm sure there are several posters here that have dealt with or are dealing with similar discpline issues. I am hoping some of the more experienced players in this forum will be kind enough to offer some insight into what helped them improve their discipline as they moved up through the SSNL levels.

lmw
10-05-2005, 05:27 AM
anyone?

j0wlev
10-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Get PokerTracker. Seeing your results will improve your play.

jacknine
10-05-2005, 07:32 AM
2 books that have done miracles for my discipline are Zen & The Art of Poker and Psychology of Poker.

If you find yourself making wrong decisions even though you know they're wrong - I think it's time for a break.

PinkSteel
10-05-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2 books that have done miracles for my discipline are Zen & The Art of Poker and Psychology of Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read Zen, but Psychology of Poker is THE cure for knowing what's right and then doing what's wrong anyway. The specific piece of advice therein is to verbalize your thinking on every play, but get the book.

lmw
10-05-2005, 02:54 PM
thanks for the input. I have read parts of the psychology of poker when i first staryed playing. i don't consider myself to really be a gambling type player who just craves action and takes crazy chances. Sometimes I just ignore the instincts that i have spent so much time trying to hone. The only thing that seperates us from the donkeys is the knowledge and experience to correctly play different situations, and it's really frustrating to give away that edge with undisciplined play.