PDA

View Full Version : Opponent chip dumping in 3/6 game at Stars

William Wilson
10-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Our goal is to win money every time we sit, but can it ever go too far?

Tonight, I lucked into a 3/6 short-handed table on Stars which I chose because of the abnormally high average pot statistic. When I began playing, it became clear immediately that a player with a large stack (around $500) was playing nearly every hand and capping it to the river.

Nobody said a thing as they scooped huge pot after huge pot -- I won a $220 pot three-handed with unimproved aces, and several others with middle pair and ace-high. It was that obvious.

When the player got down to about $150, he/she announced she was playing her boyfriend's account and that she was losing his money to get revenge for him screwing her friend.

When she busted, she said, "spend it, boys." Then she said her boyfriend had a lot more money and she would lose it all. Most at the table tried to convince her to rebuy.

Then one guy -- the kind who says "wtf" and "omg" every time he loses -- convinced her to play $100 heads-up SnGs with him. They actually negotiated the best scenario and she agreed, telling him all the cash was his.

I didn't check to see if they actually played, but they both left.

Are we under any moral obligation here? Is it right to sit down with someone who is openly giving his/her money away? I know this could have been a high player blowing off steam, but the story seemed a bit too real considering that player's play.

speirs
10-05-2005, 04:03 AM
I would probably not believe the story but when it's true (or not, whatever) I will take as much money as possible.

10-05-2005, 09:38 AM
In a .50/1.00 partypoker table, I once played with someone who sat down with $3000 (normal buyin is $25) and proceeded to play any 2 cards and raise every bet that came to him on all streets. Great fun was had by all, except perhaps him as he lost $130 in about an hour. I assumed he was a high stakes player who was just blowing off steam, he was babbling away in the chat the whole time, trying to encourage everyone to reraise all his raises.

Other players have seen similar things, this happens from time to time. However, if this girl really was trying to purposely lose money, going into heads up play with her while she tried to lose would not be a good idea. This will set off alarm bells in the website's software as it will look like money laundering. Purposely losing in heads up play to transfer money from one player to another is heavily frowned upon.

William Wilson
10-05-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm just not sure it's right.

This may be too obscure a reference, but on the DVD of High Fidelity, there's a deleted scene where a neglected wife wanted to sell her husband's record collection worth thousands to record-store owner Rob Gordon for a few hundred bucks. He declined the golden opportunity because he just couldn't bring himself to do that to the guy, even if he was cheating on his wife.

I guess I felt like that a little bit once she disclosed her purposes. Funny how it didn't bother me when I thought I was simply dealing with a very bad player.

autobet
10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
It's not right, but if you don't take it someone else will.

As long as you are not involved in the scam, you are not doing anything wrong. I think players asking her to rebuy (if he has any money let in his account) is getting involved in the scam...

Is taking the money off someone who doesn't know how to play, or someone drunk wrong?

10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
What kind of idiot would give out their password :P ?

William Wilson
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of idiot would give out their password :P ?

[/ QUOTE ]

He/she said the cheating bastard left his computer on.

10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
She could be in a lot of trouble (as in, going-to-prison type of trouble); you, not so much.

An alternate scenario, though: "she" comes in, dumps a buy-in and arranges some HU games, then proceeds to take a few chumps to the cleaners. ("Oh, I had a lucky run in those last couple of games. Let's play for double so you can get the money back faster.")

Ironically, that would probably be perfectly okay with the site.

A_C_Slater
10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Why wouldn't she sit at a $100-200 table and lose it all in one orbit? Maybe having fun Lagging it up?

I would have this bitch murdered.

GoCubsGo
10-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Why am I picturing this woman's boyfriend as a poster at OOT?

dtbog
10-05-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why am I picturing this woman's boyfriend as a poster at OOT?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Al Schoonmaker
10-05-2005, 10:26 PM
You reminded me of a story I read once (which was probably untrue). A newspaper ad said, "Brand new Cadillac for sale $500."

The seller was allegedly the widow of a man who had just died, and the proceeds of the sale were to go to his girlriend.

I don't know whether it ever happened, but angry lovers do some extremely stupid, nasty things.

Al

DWarrior
10-06-2005, 12:20 AM
It reminds me of a story from Sports Illustrated about that college dropout who went pro making 40/hr. One of the stories was him taking money off an angry girlfriend chip dumping her boyfriend.

Word to the wise: password-protect your computers and LOCK them every time you leave (Ctrl+L, not hard). I don't trust my friends, family, or my girlfriend with my computer.

But yeah, she's in for a beating.

GoCubsGo
10-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Wonder if this is the same crazy bitch. Pissed at her husband for playing poker. Anyone recognize that user name?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-MORE-SEX-I-CUT-IT-OFF-MYSTERY-BOX_W0QQitemZ5622159199QQcategoryZ102534QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem