PDA

View Full Version : I now understand the Miers Nomination for the Supreme Court...

whiskeytown
10-05-2005, 03:09 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9593793/

The lady, while not amassing a ton of opinion on anything legally related, has made it clear she's a very strong member of the Religious Right - and joining churches that send 50% of their money to missions.

This is GWB's parting gift to the Religious Right - she'll be anti-abortion without a paper trail. Just some hearsay that someone heard her say at a pro-life rally that she believed life began at conception.

This is gonna be REAL interesting to see if Republicans and Democrats will change their tune- Republicans have been vocal against her while Democrats have been sorta waiting to see...

RB

etgryphon
10-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Yes.

Here is a good article on it (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/orl-brown0405oct04,0,203548.column?coll=orl-opinion-headlines).

Bush could have made one of the most brillant moves of his career or one of the stupidest. We all have to trust his abilities. Now, what that actually means is up to you. You could be aiming high or aiming lower.

I still think it is too much of a risk. I want a fight...

-Gryph

El Barto
10-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't reveal our "stealth home run" to the world.

We still need Reid and the Democrats to make a few "errors" in letting her get through the Senate. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dotson
10-05-2005, 10:09 AM
As a Democrat I also think a fight would be good, but I don't think one is going to be led by the Dems over Miers. If Miers nomination does go down because she is pulled or she is stopped in committee or on the floor it will be because she is unacceptable to the right. The right will say she is a crony and undistinguished. The dems should not go along with these arguments. The dems do not need to be doing the republicans dirty work here. The dems should talk up her civil rights for gays and international criminal court positions and say the right doesn't want her because she is moderate. They could even add that if she were a man and not a modest southern woman no one would question her ability. If Miers nomination were to still fail and the dems blanketed the news and airwaves with this message than that would put the President in a tough position. Not only would it be embarassing for the Miers nomination to fail but if he went on to pick a Luttig or Estrada type conservative scholar he would look like he was pandering to the right. The dems would then be better positioned to filibuster. My guess is this won't happen and Miers will get through. If the republicans in the Senate undercut Bush on his supreme court pick he is not going to have the power or the party discipline to get any of their agenda through and the corporate lobby will not stand for that.

zipo
10-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Google conservative columnist George Will's townhall column on the pick.

He rips GW Bush a new one - basically calling him stupid - unusual for a hardcore conservative /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Repubs are now eating their own - this pick has set the dogs to yapping /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
10-05-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He rips GW Bush a new one - basically calling him stupid - unusual for a hardcore conservative

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously dont know much about George Will then.

zipo
10-05-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He rips GW Bush a new one - basically calling him stupid - unusual for a hardcore conservative

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously dont know much about George Will then.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't know much about what I know, or don't know.

Will has been critical of certain Bush administration policies, but if you know of instances where he has intimated more clearly than the column I referenced that the President is stupid, please link them here.

Usually, conservative voices have been rather delicate in opposing this administration - burying their collective noses up the arses the White House crony gang, groveling and currying favor even while uttering feeble and timid objections to issues like the exploding deficit and out-of-control pork.

Now that the chickens have come to roost, and the collective disastrous effects that the White House and conservative Republican majority has inflicted upon the nation over the last 5 years is becoming painfully apparent, they are turning on each other like a pack of starving jackals.

And I'm just sitting back, enjoying the show /images/graemlins/grin.gif

El Barto
10-05-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Bush's plan. The Democrats sit back and watch the conservatives squabble (instead of fighting her nomination), and the next thing you know, Miers has been confirmed to the court. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

vulturesrow
10-05-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously don't know much about what I know, or don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. Good thing I was just referring to your fairly obvious lack of knowledge of George Will.

Your assertion that Will intimated Bush is stupid in this article is a clear attempt on your part to project your fantasies onto Will's criticisms of Bush. Will in general has been very critical of many of Bush's policies.

Dotson
10-05-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's Bush's plan. The Democrats sit back and watch the conservatives squabble (instead of fighting her nomination), and the next thing you know, Miers has been confirmed to the court.

[/ QUOTE ]

An ex Democrat, who donated to the DNC in 92 - when Bush 41 was running for pres, who is somewhat supportive of gay rights and international law, and is sixty is probably the best the Dems could hope for. If this was his plan, it was not a good one. A better plan would have been to nominate a staunch conservative, have the base excited, break the dems filibuster with the nuclear option, dominate the news cycle, and eventually win which would show the president as strong and the republicans as united. And ride that wave to the 06 elections.

zipo
10-05-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Bush's plan. The Democrats sit back and watch the conservatives squabble (instead of fighting her nomination), and the next thing you know, Miers has been confirmed to the court. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let her be confirmed.

This administration has done incredible damage to this country over the last 5 years, both at home and with our reputation and standing abroad - morally, economically, and politically.

The selection of this crony hack, this celibate evangelical Christian is just another of many fat middle fingers extended by this White House to the Constitution and the American people.

Well, the American people might have been stupid enough to tolerate the selection of this gang of cronies in 2000, and even reelect theim in 2004.

But they're not stupid enough to avoid the collective realization that they've been had over and over and over again, being lied to and having their pockets picked by a gang of amoral corporate shills.

The chickens are coming to home to roost. The big con is starting to unravel. And when we've collectively had that epiphany, perhaps the knowledge we've gained will be worth the pain we have endured for the last 5 years.

jaxmike
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let her be confirmed.

This administration has done incredible damage to this country over the last 5 years, both at home and with our reputation and standing abroad - morally, economically, and politically.

The selection of this crony hack, this celibate evangelical Christian is just another of many fat middle fingers extended by this White House to the Constitution and the American people.

Well, the American people might have been stupid enough to tolerate the selection of this gang of cronies in 2000, and even reelect theim in 2004.

But they're not stupid enough to avoid the collective realization that they've been had over and over and over again, being lied to and having their pockets picked by a gang of amoral corporate shills.

The chickens are coming to home to roost. The big con is starting to unravel. And when we've collectively had that epiphany, perhaps the knowledge we've gained will be worth the pain we have endured for the last 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess ignorance really is bliss.

Colonel Kataffy
10-05-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your assertion that Will intimated Bush is stupid in this article is a clear attempt on your part to project your fantasies onto Will's criticisms of Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will Said: "[Bush] has neither the inclination nor the ability to make sophisticated judgments about competing approaches to construing the Constitution."

Not having the ability to make sophistacated judgements = stupid.

vulturesrow
10-05-2005, 03:10 PM
You left the next sentence out:

"Few presidents acquire such abilities in the course of their prepresidential careers, and this president, particularly, is not disposed to such reflections."

Nice try though.

Colonel Kataffy
10-05-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and this president, particularly, is not disposed to such reflections."

[/ QUOTE ]

this president is particularly stupid and ignorant.

Nice try though.

10-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Even if hardcore Republicans hear about this insider info that she's pro-life, it's not good enough. I've seen many of them on TV today who heard this news but reasonably argued that there were plenty of people who Bush could've appointed who both claimed to be pro-life in private but more importantly have proven that when they are on the bench, they decide things along the lines of these personal beliefs. Miers has not proven this and therefore they feel strongly that Bush could've done much better.

I'm pro-choice and generally anti-Bush so I wish she wasn't pro-life in her personal beliefs. Since it's unlikely that Bush would ever appoint someone that I'd be happy with, I'd probably take a chance on Miers just hoping that maybe once she's on the bench, she'll slide left like others before her have. The same thing that I'm hoping for is what hardcore Republicans are fearing and they should. They could've had a sure thing but Bush pussed out for some reason.

John Ho
10-06-2005, 05:59 AM
It is crazy to think Bush would appoint someone to the Supreme without knowing whether he/she is pro/anti Roe v. Wade.

It is similar to Clarence Thomas stating during his confirmation hearings that he had never, ever discussed Roe v. Wade with anyone.

Of course Miers is pro-life. I'm not that cynical about Bush to believe his public displays of faith are for purely political purposes. He is a true believer and anyone he appoints to the bench will be of like mind.

jaxmike
10-06-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet has a higher IQ than Gore and Kerry, and I believe Clinton...

vulturesrow
10-06-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to work on your reading comprehension.