PDA

View Full Version : I'm poor

DasLeben
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
So, I came home last night after work and found that my internet was down. I troubleshot a bit, restarted my cable modem, rebooted my router, etc. Nothing worked. I booted up Firefox to try again, but this time was directed to a CableOne site. A bit to my surprise, the site read:

"Your internet has been deactivated due to nonpayment. Please contact your local CableOne office."

Whoops. I suck at life. I'm so damn poor that I couldn't afford to pay my cable bill until a week ago (then in true dumbass fashion, forgot to pay it until I was 'reminded' yesterday). Yay to being a restaurant server. :/

10-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Anyone have an unsecured wireless router in your building?

DasLeben
10-05-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have an unsecured wireless router in your building?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in a house, but nobody near me has one up. Not like it matters now. I paid my bill and they reactivated it this morning.

nervous
10-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Play [censored].

Yeah, I typed it. So what.

Slacker13
10-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Maybe try getting a better job. No offense, but there are plenty of opportunities out there to better yourself, if you have the drive to make them happen they will happen. I came to Florida with 35$ in my pocket and made [censored] happen.

pokerjoker
10-05-2005, 01:17 AM
does the word poker get sensored here?

pokerjoker
10-05-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does the word poker get sensored here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]...woulda been cool if it get censored in OOT. we need more bigbrother type domination IMO

mmbt0ne
10-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Me too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

At least my internet is always on though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DasLeben
10-05-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe try getting a better job. No offense, but there are plenty of opportunities out there to better yourself, if you have the drive to make them happen they will happen. I came to Florida with 35$ in my pocket and made [censored] happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I do have a college degree. You're preaching to the choir here, chief.

I have this job as an interim thing before I go to ATC school in January (already admitted, actually).

Slacker13
10-05-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have this job as an interim thing before I go to ATC school in January (already admitted, actually).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, missed that part. I've been there. I scrubbed toilets to get me thru college and I once ate potatos and onions for a week. Finish school, it is well worth it. It will turn around for you, you just have to give it time.

Voltron87
10-05-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I do have a college degree. You're preaching to the choir here, chief.

[/ QUOTE ]

how are you paying for ATC school, or is it an apprenticeship thing? how good a career is it?

DasLeben
10-05-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how are you paying for ATC school, or is it an apprenticeship thing? how good a career is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have to give a bit of background first. The FAA has contracts with 13 colleges around the US under the Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI). Basically, you have to go through a 2-4 year program (depending on the school), and then after graduation, you're processed for hiring by the FAA as a controller.

The school I'm going to is actually a community college in LA. It's cheap ($26/credit), and since I already have an aviation degree, I only have to take 5 classes in order to get hired by the FAA. I'm simply going to take 2 classes per semester (1 during the summer), and take something like 6 credits per semester. With that, I'll have no problem whatsoever working full-time while taking two semesters to finish the program. The downside is that I'll have to spend a while more with a BS job. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The upside though is that controllers start out at roughly $40,000/year at an enroute facility as a trainee. After roughly 4-6 months, you're trained as an "associate controller" and make somewhere along the lines of $60,000/year. It takes 3-5 years to complete training to become a fully certified controller, but once certified, you're pulling in $100k-$130k/year. Not too shabby.

ThaSaltCracka
10-05-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Me too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

At least my internet is always on though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
10-05-2005, 01:37 AM
if you like planes and that stuff (sounds like you do) it looks like a really good deal. plus when you add in the amount of tang you'll get as a certified ATC... sign me up!