PDA

View Full Version : Old drunks are very sad

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I went to Oktoberfest again tonight. I got there early, before the big crowd showed up. There was an old man at the bar next to me drinking peppermint schnapps and milk. The other day I saw him drinking Scotch & milk. Scotch & milk is a kind of old fashioned standard so I didn't think much of it. Tonight he had a bottle of Tums as well and was throwing them down. He went through a gallon of milk and finally left after he had consumed all the bars milk and couldn't drink anymore. The whole thing made me sad.

captZEEbo1
10-05-2005, 12:59 AM
similar to most people with addictions...sad when people are addicted to gambling, drugs, etc...

10-05-2005, 01:00 AM
It's really sad because they probably have grown kids or no kids, maybe a widower, they just want someone to talk to and by the time someone does talk with them they are already so drunk they can't carry on a conversation and people stay away, which makes them drink even more.

tdarko
10-05-2005, 01:00 AM
every sunday night i used to go to this bar and see this guy in his mid 40's and he would drink about 6 jack&waters and at exactly 12:00 he would get up and go to the bar next door and drink the same thing till it closed. i always assumed he did this every night, either way he always looked sad and lonely and it made me feel sorry for him evertime.

i stopped going to this bar, went back about a year later and there he was alone and drinking jack&water.

whiskeytown
10-05-2005, 02:00 AM
guys like that are what keep me on the wagon - I'd see an old drunk trying to get one from the bartender who had cut them off -

and they kept thinking if they kept asking they'd get another freebie....that ended up being one of the nails in my coffin -

RB

Ray Zee
10-05-2005, 10:18 AM
those are the same guys who years before ran around posting on the internet about how drunk they were.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
those are the same guys who years before ran around posting on the internet about how drunk they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

But dude, I'm SOOOUhgb WAISTEedggg!!

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Best response ever.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Best response ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that I think he really meant the guys that do that now will sopmeday be that old drunk. I'm pretty sure this guy never posted to an Internet forum in his life.

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I know your original post wasn't about what the old drunks say, but this just came to mind.

There is a local bar that is very convenient to me. I don't go there because of the "old drunks" you are talking about. I used to go there when I was in my mid-20's and even then I tired easily of what I call the "old drunk stories". So many pathetic old drunks love to tell their stories about "my ex-wives were all perfect 10 models", "I own half of the county", "I make $200K/year working for the city". I have noticed that the only friends the old drunks have are each other. They tell their crazy stories to each other and don't realize how stupid they sound. They don't realize (or don't care) or are too drunk to know how stupid they seem to any outside person.

10-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I used to be a barteder and although I do agree that it is very sad, I also find it somewhat amusing.

The greatest drunks are the ones who think and act like it is their job to go to the bar and get drunk and let everyone else know how the town (that they should own or be mayor of ) should be run and how they could really make a differnce.

Then there are the drunks who have, at one time, done something that at one time would have been worthy of respect. They now need to repeat what and how they did it to everyone, and most everyone could actually tell the story word for word for that drunk.

And then there is my favorite kind of old of drunk. The one who plays nonsense music on the juke box, sings a long to every song, knowing the words or not, and encourages the rest of the bar to lighten up and have fun. If you are short on cash, always sit close to this type of drunk, as he will be more than willing to keep the drinks comming just so he can have someone to entertain.

All of the people I have just described will never change. They do not have a problem ( in their world ) it is their job, heck, they even have their own stools and probably consider the bar their desk!

cdxx
10-05-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
similar to most people with addictions...sad when people are addicted to gambling, drugs, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are saying he is addicted to milk?

wacki
10-05-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Best response ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that I think he really meant the guys that do that now will sopmeday be that old drunk. I'm pretty sure this guy never posted to an Internet forum in his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, wake the [censored] up.

10-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Yet young drunks are something to behold...

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Best response ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what I meant.

HopeydaFish
10-05-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I think it's even more likely with the posters on here, considering the number of addictive personalities a poker message board attracts.

mmbt0ne
10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
He went through a gallon of milk and finally left after he had consumed all the bars milk and couldn't drink anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

But did he do it in under an hour?

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He went through a gallon of milk and finally left after he had consumed all the bars milk and couldn't drink anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it took him all day. He'd been there awhile when I got there.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
the worst kind of old pathetic drunk is the old lonely female drunk.

Sad.

offTopic
10-05-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha...vnh

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the worst kind of old pathetic drunk is the old lonely female drunk.

Sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. there are always a lot more lonely old drunk men so the lonely old drunk woman can always hook up when she wants. The men are just [censored].