PDA

View Full Version : for those of you who have moved on into the real world

JcTc
10-05-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm a college senior and I'll be graduating in May. After I graduate I'm going to work one last summer in my hometown so that I can save up some money and have tons of fun with my friends one last time. After that, I am moving cross-country in the fall, to Arizona.

The thing is, I have no idea what to expect. What was it like going from just being a college kid, to a full-time working adult? When did you realize this transformation had taken place? How long did it take for you to get settled into your new role? Obviously, these are broad questions, but right now I'm 22 and still feel like a kid, and less than a year from now, apparently I'm going to be an adult.

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Don't worry about putting yourself into some kind of category.

10-05-2005, 12:45 AM
The toughest part is having to be somewhere all day, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, doing work you may or may not like, when you are used to getting up whenever you want, maybe going to class, getting drunk any night you feel like. You'll also value weekends a lot more and find that girls have now become women, and that is not fun. On the bright side, you'll finally have money.

DasLeben
10-05-2005, 12:46 AM
I graduated last May, and I'm working some BS full time job to pay bills until I move off to LA in the spring. If you live off campus, going into the "real world" isn't anything really different. I get up, go to work, make money, pay bills, repeat. I don't have stupid classes to deal with anymore, and that's about it.

Oh, and I still don't have money. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jacki
10-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I didn't feel like an adult until my first child was born. A 40-hr a week job isn't much of a responsibility compared to a human life.

smb394
10-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I first realized the transformation when I watched college football and I wasn't there. Working didn't do it at first b/c I always interned during breaks.

I did live at home for a few months, so this was less of a shock (and cheaper). When I finally did move out, it became way more obvious that I was past the college stage.

About the only thing that's the same is the eating situation. Still lazy as [censored] to cook myself dinner every night.

Corey
10-05-2005, 12:51 AM
If it's anything like my first six months in the "real world", You'll find it's very similar to your first six months in college and all the same rules apply. Meet as many new people as possible, try as many new things as possible, and drink a lot.

Yeah, nothing really has changed. Working has replaced studying. Working long nights replaced studying before tests. Vacations and going to work hungover has replaced skipping class. The only thing that has changed is the steady flow of disposable income.

MonkeeMan
10-05-2005, 12:08 PM
"So, what's it like in the real world? Well, the food is better, but beyond that, I don't recommend it."

Bill Watterson

Dominic
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was it like going from just being a college kid, to a full-time working adult? When did you realize this transformation had taken place? How long did it take for you to get settled into your new role?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 42. When you find the answers to these questions, let me know.

HopeydaFish
10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
One thing that I noticed when I was done school and was working full-time was that I didn't have the constant feeling that I should be studying/doing schoolwork. When I was in school I was also working full-time at a crappy job, so I didn't have much free time to myself. Whenever I had free time, all the school work that I still had to finish would be weighing on my mind and I had a hard time enjoying myself. Once school was finished and I was able to find a decent job, I found that the weight of unfinished school work was no longer on my shoulders. It was liberating.

10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I was working as an intern during 4th and 5th year in college so after graduation I just started working full-time. No change.

I would not blow a bunch of money with your friends. This seems really silly. Save your money. Struggles always lie ahead, sir.

samjjones
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was working as an intern during 4th and 5th year in college so after graduation I just started working full-time. No change.

I would not blow a bunch of money with your friends. This seems really silly. Save your money. Struggles always lie ahead, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did just that. Its overrated. Enjoy being free for a year. In the long run, saving $5K or whatever over a summer doesn't amount to much. Have fun. Then, when the year is over, get to work.

asofel
10-05-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...find that girls have now become women, and that is not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree wholeheartedly

tolbiny
10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Someone beat me to the best line, but the rest is applicable. (http://home3.inet.tele.dk/stadil/spe_kc.htm)

tonypaladino
10-05-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...find that girls have now become women, and that is not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree wholeheartedly

[/ QUOTE ]

I love teenage girls. I keep getting older, and they stay the same age. Oh yes they do.

flair1239
10-05-2005, 03:14 PM
At first it was a lot easier. Working 8-10 hours a day then going home and having weekends off, was like a vacation compared to a 20 credit semester, with classes, 14-20 hours of homework/studying a week and a 15-20 hour part time job with the majority of those hours worked weekends and evenings.

I really did not know what to do with the free time. I think when you get married or start living with a serious girlfriend is when it hits you.

Or as my girlfriend and I joke about, when it is 9pm on a Friday night and you have had a few drinks at the bar and decide it's probably a good idea to call it a night and decide to go home rather than stay out.

HopeydaFish
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I love teenage girls. I keep getting older, and they stay the same age. Oh yes they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.matthewmcconaughey.net/dazedlarge/cap264.jpg

Your Mom
10-05-2005, 04:52 PM
It sucks.

Benal
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
find that girls have now become women, and that is not fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this not fun?

goofball
10-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I graduated 2 years ago. For teh first year I taught gymnastics, lived in the same college city, most of my friends were still going to college including most of my cowokers. Basically, my life was the same but I had a job I really liked and no homework.

After that I mvoed to vegas and started playing some kind of game.