PDA

View Full Version : Calling raises in a loose game

Your Mom
05-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Just wondering how you guys play suited cards and small/medium pairs in loose games after a raise. For example in LP(cutoff or button) with 3 limpers and then a raise, what do you do with these 3 hands - 44, Axs, and T9s? Also, does it change your reasoning if you know the BB and probably the SB will come along as well. Thanks.

Bob T.
05-21-2003, 12:41 AM
I would probably muck all of these. With a small pocket pair, and 3 players already in, I think that you are close to a call, but the other hands are just going to be to expensive to play for this price.

Vehn
05-21-2003, 12:50 AM
If I was feeling particularly frisky I would play T9s and 44. I would not play Axs (which I think is massively overrated anyways). But usually I would muck 'em.

Your Mom
05-21-2003, 01:30 AM
I muck all of them and was wondering if I was too tight. Good to hear I'm on the right track. Thanks guys. I can always count on you two for a prompt response to my questions.

Vehn
05-21-2003, 01:35 AM
That's not a complement though, just proof I have no life. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

bernie
05-21-2003, 09:42 AM
1st off. it depends on who's raising.

if this is typical in this game, 2 bets to the flop, with 5+ players, id call with the pair and Axs. especially if you think the blinds are coming along. the T9s i may call in a much later position, though id usually fold. id be careful with that hand. also consider how well your opponents play post flop. do they go too far with hands? chasing when they shouldnt? calling 2 bets is much different than if it were 3 or 4 bets to you. or if it might be reraised behind you. you can take the texture into consideration when calling. id much rather be suited in this situation that's for sure.

if it can get aggressive post flop, i probably wouldnt call the T9s, but id definitely call the pairs and maybe the Axs. since the pairs, if you hit a set, you will get all the action you need to pay it off.

thing to watch for: your swing will go up a bit. and you better be able to play postflop well. which brings up another point of how aggressive the postflop is. some games are more aggressive preflop then slows down on the flop. hence you wont get charged much if you flop a draw.

much more to factor in than just a raise to you.

b

Ralle
05-21-2003, 09:48 AM
In most games I would fold all those hands, but maybe I'm too tight.

Homer
05-21-2003, 10:35 AM
44 - Call

Axs - Fold

T9s - Could go either way depending on postflop aggressiveness of table

-- Homer

lil'
05-21-2003, 03:40 PM
With a low pocket pair, I would call, if I know the blinds will come along. You either flop a set or you don't.

10-9s I would play if the table was very passive and good for chasing draws. (The type of table where everyone would check to the raiser and call on the flop)At a table with any aggression it could get pricey.

A-xs is the least attractive to me and has the most potential to cause trouble later on.