PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in soulmates?

webmonarch
10-04-2005, 10:59 PM
So, let's hear it: Do you believe in soulmates? That is, that somewhere on this earth there is a perfect match for you, to be found and loved for eternity (or something along those lines).

If so, let's hear a story or two. Where di you meet said soulmate, how did you know, etc.

istewart
10-04-2005, 11:03 PM
This is the equivalent of believing in horoscopes.
Which makes you a flaming homosexual.

theben
10-04-2005, 11:06 PM
no

battschr
10-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Of course not.

Sightless
10-04-2005, 11:09 PM
yes

gorie
10-04-2005, 11:12 PM
yes. what is sad is that my soulmate voted no. and i will never be with him.

Soulmates do not exist.

joshman1204
yes too bad she cost $20 a dance

private joker
10-04-2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.walldrawn.com/holidays/santachair.jpg

Ho, ho, ho! Of course there's such a thing as soulmates! Please also provide me with your PayPal username and password!

battschr
10-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Ha!

manpower
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Nah man,
I've had too many 'near soulmate experiences' if you have any idea what i'm talking about.

theben
10-05-2005, 12:01 AM
no way. how can you

10-05-2005, 12:01 AM
soulmates usually piss me off

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 12:31 AM
One perfect person for you? no. There are a number of people that any person could be happy with. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't even know what will make the happy and are looking for the wrong things.

edit: make that nearly everypne.

gunt
10-05-2005, 12:58 AM
no, and i dont believe in souls either.

Colonel Kataffy
10-05-2005, 01:39 AM
I wish this thread existed a few years ago, cause i found out the hard way.

[censored]
10-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I don't believe in soul mates as in there is one person out there for you, but I do believe for instance there is a certain type of girl who is the best match for me. Lucky for all of us there are many girls who make up the qualities to be our ideal match. Which is good because otherwise it would suck when they get by buses and [censored].

CardSharpCook
10-05-2005, 02:13 AM
I'm the sad fcuk who both believes in soulmates and knows that he'll never see his again. THIS SUCKS!!! No, the worst part is that it has been, what, 4 years? and I still fcuking believe. WHAT THE FCUK IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?!?

bholdr
10-05-2005, 02:15 AM
I don't even believe in souls...

but i do believe that people can find someone and create a relationshiop with them that's as perfect as anything else in this life, if you wanna call that a 'soul mate'.

AngryCola
10-05-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm the sad fcuk who both believes in soulmates and knows that he'll never see his again. THIS SUCKS!!! No, the worst part is that it has been, what, 4 years? and I still fcuking believe. WHAT THE FCUK IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.

Cancer Merchant
10-05-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called fatalism. Either she'll come back, or you'll be making love to the bottle, becoming one of the old guys at the bar jake described.

See you on the transplant list.

MelchyBeau
10-05-2005, 02:19 AM
nope. I don't believe in love either.

Melch

EliteNinja
10-05-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can I be your soulmate, gorie? (='_'=)

Pyromaniac
10-05-2005, 04:58 AM
There's a notion that any two people, given the right circumstances, can be soulmates for each other. That any two people can connect intensely enough to be soulmates. That we are all each other's soulmates.

Most of the time that doesn't happen, but the potential is often there. In that sense, I believe in soulmates. In the strict sense of one and only one, no.

(really, you know, what happens if your soulmate happens to be a grandmother of thirty in Guatemala...or a divorced truck driver in Nevada named Frank...)

peachy
10-05-2005, 05:22 AM
100% yes

BeerMoney
10-05-2005, 07:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even believe in souls...

but i do believe that people can find someone and create a relationshiop with them that's as perfect as anything else in this life, if you wanna call that a 'soul mate'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Paxosmotic
10-05-2005, 07:44 AM
If she puts out nightly, I'll believe anything she tells me to.

ChipWrecked
10-05-2005, 08:08 AM
I believe in a basic compatibility combined with lots of communication and sweat equity.

radek2166
10-05-2005, 08:38 AM
People come up with [censored] like soulmates to justify their feelings. Its a human thing thats all.

dcasper70
10-05-2005, 08:54 AM
With a little luck, those of you that voted 'No' will find that you are mistaken.

TheTROLL
10-05-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With a little luck, those of you that voted 'No' will find that you are mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... because it's better to have one suitable partner than several million out of the 3 billion candidates ?

sexdrugsmoney
10-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Great poll but could you considered doing another one but with these options:

Yes, I am male.
Yes, I am female.
No, I am male.
No, I am female.

Cheers,
SDM

ChipWrecked
10-05-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... because it's better to have one suitable partner than several million out of the 3 billion candidates ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your numbers are way overinflated. To wit:

ELAINE: So what you are saying is that 90 to 95 percent of the population is undateable?

JERRY: UNDATEABLE!

ELAINE: Then how are all these people getting together?

JERRY: Alcohol.

mslif
10-05-2005, 10:07 AM
I do not believe in soulmates /images/graemlins/frown.gif

dcasper70
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who said anything about only one?

jakethebake
10-05-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether there are in fact soulmates or not, I like the fact that some people have found a reason to believe in them.

2planka
10-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Blame Aristophanes. His speech in the Symposium is where the notion of soul mates comes from. Plato's Symposium (http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/symposium.html)

[ QUOTE ]
And when one of them meets with his other half, the actual half of himself, whether he be a lover of youth or a lover of another sort, the pair are lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy, and would not be out of the other's sight, as I may say, even for a moment: these are the people who pass their whole lives together; yet they could not explain what they desire of one another. For the intense yearning which each of them has towards the other does not appear to be the desire of lover's intercourse, but of something else which the soul of either evidently desires and cannot tell, and of which she has only a dark and doubtful presentiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

JihadOnTheRiver
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Holy [censored] batman

Sifmole
10-05-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great poll but could you considered doing another one but with these options:

Yes, I am male.
Yes, I pretend I am female.
No, I am male.
No, I pretend I am female.

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

mackthefork
10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
...the primeval man was round, his back and sides forming a circle; and he had four hands and four feet, one head with two faces, looking opposite ways, [190a] set on a round neck and precisely alike; also four ears, two privy members, and the remainder to correspond. He could walk upright as men now do, backwards or forwards as he pleased, and he could also roll over and over at a great pace, turning on his four hands and four feet, eight in all, like tumblers going over and over with their legs in the air; this was when he wanted [190b] to run fast. Now the sexes were three, and such as I have described them; because the sun, moon, and earth are three; and the man was originally the child of the sun, the woman of the earth, and the man-woman of the moon, which is made up of sun and earth, and they were all round and moved round and round like their parents.

After the division the two parts of man, each desiring his other half, came together, and throwing their arms about one another, entwined in mutual embraces, [191b] longing to grow into one, they were on the point of dying from hunger and self-neglect, because they did not like to do anything apart; and when one of the halves died and the other survived, the survivor sought another mate, man or woman as we call them, -- being the sections of entire men or women, -- and clung to that. They were being destroyed, when Zeus in pity of them invented a new plan: he turned the parts of generation round to the front, for this had not been always their position, and they sowed the seed no longer as hitherto like grasshoppers in the ground, but in one another; [191c] and after the transposition the male generated in the female in order that by the mutual embraces of man and woman they might breed, and the race might continue; or if man came to man they might be satisfied, and rest, and go their ways to the business of life: so ancient is the desire of one another which is implanted [191d] in us, reuniting our original nature, making one of two, and healing the state of man. Each of us when separated, having one side only, like a flat fish, is but the indenture of a man, and he is always looking for his other half.

Chaosmagic.com (http://www.chaosmagic.com/archives/greekandroman/constructed-soulmate.shtml)

Nonsense, but sweet and harmless enough.

Mack

2planka
10-05-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nonsense, but sweet and harmless enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but this is where "soul mates" and "my better half" come from. Not to hijack the thread, but I find Aristopanes's speech to be the most entertaining in the Dialogue.

miajag81
10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I keep reading this thread topic as "Do you believe in submarines?"

Yes, yes I do believe in them.

gorie
10-05-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can I be your soulmate, gorie? (='_'=)

[/ QUOTE ]
k! did u vote no ?

10-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Yes I do and is something that you don't know untill you experience it but i don't think is about to believes is just about to feel and freely and I think everybody is gonna have at least one experience like that in the life, the hard thing is being able to see it. for more info on this read Richard Bach books.
thank you