PDA

View Full Version : big river bluff

Marlow
10-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Villian is reasonable, if not a touch on the agg side. I'm killing the table right now and am getting lots of respect from everyone. I have not yet been caught out of line. Villian has about 900, I cover.

3-6 NL 6max

Everyone limps to the button who makes it 33 to go. I decide that now's the time to cash in on my image and pick off a possible preflop steal. I reraise to 117 with JJ in the SB. Everyone folds to button who thinks for a while and calls.

pot= ~250

Flop: A 5 Q rainbow

we both check

Turn: 7

we both check

River: 9

I check, he bets 105, I raise pot.

Great, good, not so good, or totally fckd?

Marlow

mgsimpleton
10-04-2005, 10:35 PM
you're really checking your set of anything other than aces here three times? if you have a lower set looks like you'd try to get value from an ace (queens or something) and if he has an A it is hard to put you on AA, so i'm gonna say he calls if he has an A, but likely folds if he doesn't. oh except another set, he'll call with that too.

yvesaint
10-04-2005, 10:39 PM
i think if you're going to represent AA you should bet the turn ...... go for that 'yea, i checked top set on the flop' thing

captZEEbo1
10-04-2005, 10:46 PM
I like check-calling river MORE than chk-raising pot. However, I think he has an ace and won't believe your [censored].

Also, your reraise preflop is likely for value.

greg nice
10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
not so good at all.

first of all if you are gonna do a preflop 'steal' do it with something a little more marginal. 'steal' with JJ? because of this faulty thinking, you basically gave away the fact that you were 'stealing' by checking 3 streets after the flop.

there is some wise advice in a ciaffone book saying that if you are gonna bluff, do it when it is clear and easy for someone to put you on a hand. there is no hand in the world that you would take this line with, except a poorly played bluff attempt.

Marlow
10-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Both you and fslexcduck seem are including an AK-type hand in his range of possibilities. I gotta say that I don't see how this is possible given his play.

Check-calling was my plan B. Folding never entered my mind. I decided that I wanted to try something new here. I thought that this bet sold my hand as AA pretty well, and that it would be very hard for him to call with anything else other than QQ. Would you really call this river bet with AK?

mgsimpleton
10-04-2005, 11:04 PM
wow. you actually think someone would fold AK? wow. for the reasons i said, i would call this with any ace. and this is how i would play any ace, if i called preflop with it.

captZEEbo1
10-04-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both you and fslexcduck seem are including an AK-type hand in his range of possibilities. I gotta say that I don't see how this is possible given his play.

Check-calling was my plan B. Folding never entered my mind. I decided that I wanted to try something new here. I thought that this bet sold my hand as AA pretty well, and that it would be very hard for him to call with anything else other than QQ. Would you really call this river bet with AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I wouldn't be in the hand in the first place, but yes.