PDA

View Full Version : Guitar and Piano Band

theBruiser500
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Playing songs on the piano is great but no songs are made up of just piano. A lot seem to be based on the piano and/or guitar, so would the best most versatile simple and awesome band be simply composed of a guitar and piano? I have a friend that plays guitar, could we play a lot of good songs with our two instruments?

SossMan
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.nirvanaclub.com/pics/elton_vma92.jpg

Boris
10-04-2005, 09:06 PM
hey bruiser, check out a band called Spoon. they have more than just a guitar and a piano. but they're pretty cool. If you can sound like these guys you will get poontang no problem.

tomahawk
10-04-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so would the best most versatile simple and awesome band be simply composed of a guitar and piano?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

Kyo Souma II
10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend that plays guitar, could we play a lot of good songs with our two instruments?

[/ QUOTE ]

With your taste in music? Probably not.

-kyo

Kyo Souma II
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so would the best most versatile simple and awesome band be simply composed of a guitar and piano?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. You need a rhythm section unless your keyboardist has a damn good left hand.

-kyo

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot seem to be based on the piano and/or guitar, so would the best most versatile simple and awesome band be simply composed of a guitar and piano?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best two-man band? Guitar and bass.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend that plays guitar, could we play a lot of good songs with our two instruments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you will be awesome.

I am very proud of you, Bruiser. Seriously.

offTopic
10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot seem to be based on the piano and/or guitar, so would the best most versatile simple and awesome band be simply composed of a guitar and piano?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best two-man band? Guitar and bass.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you will be awesome.

I am very proud of you, Bruiser. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude. The guitar player is going to get all the hot chicks while Bruiser is wheeling the Wurlitzer upright back into the van...he'll have achieved musical acclaim, but it won't have addressed the girl problem!

razor
10-04-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude. The guitar player is going to get all the hot chicks while Bruiser is wheeling the Wurlitzer upright back into the van...he'll have achieved musical acclaim, but it won't have addressed the girl problem!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruiser will use one of those new-fangled, light-weight, easily transportable keyboards that were first introduced 20+ YEARS AGO! It will have many wicked awesome sounds/samples. He will play great. Many chicks will want to bang him.

razor
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
great avatar!

theBruiser500
10-04-2005, 09:49 PM
American Pie and Tears In Heaven sound like piano/guitar songs. Also, for those who think guitar is cooler hopefully at some point I can learn guitar too, then I will really be kicking some serious ass.

Sponger15SB
10-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Bruiser stop being so damn ambitious its making me jealous.

Lazymeatball
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Do they still make those synthesizer's that you wear like a guitar? get one of those.

JoshuaD
10-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Jamming with guitarists is hard. You'll be frustrated the first 10 times you jam with the dude.

wacki
10-04-2005, 10:02 PM
My favorite 2 man band would be a guitarist that can shred and sing and a kick ass drummer. The reason for this is because I love rock n roll.

On the other hand I would think a guitarist and a keyboardist (slightly different than a pianist) would be the most successful in todays musical climate. A drummer and a bass guitarist can be somewhat compensated for by a keyboardist.

Follow your heart bruiser. Listen to a wide variety of music and make stuff that sounds good to you.

wacki
10-04-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jamming with guitarists is hard. You'll be frustrated the first 10 times you jam with the dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my good friends and I would play G'N'R all the time. We had no problem.

rusellmj
10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American Pie and Tears In Heaven sound like piano/guitar songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, we all know American Pie is a great, well written song. If you intend to bore the vaginas closed on unsuspecting women, this could do the trick.
Remember the commercial that depicts a couple at the beach? The guy is in the car finishing up listening to this song while the girl sits on the curb outside? Think about it.

If you wanna learn the song, great. Maybe not the best choice for getting laid though.

Music is an excellent way to get tail. I wish you luck.

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason for this is because I love rock n roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words, baby. White Stripes.

JMP300z
10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
a few friends of mine were jamming out the other day....one song i remember being good was "dont look back in anger" by oasis. i cant recall what else they played tho.

-JP

theben
10-04-2005, 10:59 PM
go for it

imported_anacardo
10-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I guess my biggest question at this point is how Bruiser can possibly find a woman that loves him more than El Diablo.

10-04-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess my biggest question at this point is how Bruiser can possibly find a woman that loves him more than El Diablo.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

pokerjoker
10-05-2005, 01:16 AM
it depends if you guys can sing..most pop music is based on melody far more than the more rhythmic guitar and piano parts. Simon and garfunkel did it and they didnt even have a piano.

tdarko
10-05-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tears In Heaven

[/ QUOTE ]
aka pantydropper.

good luck bruiser.

chuddo
10-05-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason for this is because I love rock n roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words, baby. White Stripes.

[/ QUOTE ]

a couple more: death from above 1979

[censored]
10-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Sounds like an awesome idea, I say go for it and perhaps keep an eye for a drummer.

JaBlue
10-05-2005, 02:48 AM
It depends on what you're playing but generally guitar and piano is a horrible combination. You'll often be playing in the same register and get muddied up. Yuck. I'm not sure who you want to play with as a pianist - a good vocalist is always a good choice, or learning to sing yourself would be awesome. Maybe get a capable bari sax player and you'll be in business.

of course jamming with anybody in general is fun

daryn
10-05-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like an awesome idea, I say go for it and perhaps keep an eye for a drummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll think about it if he gets a top notch vocalist

JoshuaD
10-05-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on what you're playing but generally guitar and piano is a horrible combination. You'll often be playing in the same register and get muddied up. Yuck. I'm not sure who you want to play with as a pianist - a good vocalist is always a good choice, or learning to sing yourself would be awesome. Maybe get a capable bari sax player and you'll be in business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Piano's got a huge range. If he's playing in the same register as a guitar and it doesn't sound good, he's not being very inventive.

zephed
10-05-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I found an exception.

Boogie With Stu (http://rapidshare.de/files/5896972/Led_Zeppelin_-_Boogie_With_Stu.mp3.html)

college_boy
10-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Bongo drums and an acoustic guitar is solid as well.

KaneKungFu123
10-05-2005, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With your taste in music? Probably not.

-kyo

[/ QUOTE ]
nice av

daryn
10-05-2005, 05:51 AM
ha, i can't believe i didn't remember this. i was in a band once with two guitars, bass, drums and keys. it was pretty good stuff. we did a show on orchard hill at umass, "fill the hill" festival or something.

http://www.umasspoker.com/show.JPG
http://www.umasspoker.com/show2.JPG
http://www.umasspoker.com/show3.JPG

anyway the real issue, did i get chicks? the answer is no, but i had a girlfriend at the time. no excuse i know /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eurotrash
10-05-2005, 05:58 AM
what about your solo jam sessions?

http://www.umasspoker.com/drum.JPG

daryn
10-05-2005, 06:02 AM
nice dig up

Eurotrash
10-05-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nice dig up

[/ QUOTE ]

haha thanks, there's another one at the drums in the last pics thread.

BeerMoney
10-05-2005, 07:52 AM
VanMeter!!

daryn
10-05-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

VanMeter!!

[/ QUOTE ]

well, very close! #1 is webster or grayson i believe. #2 is definitely greenough, and #3 is greenough and a bit of baker