PDA

View Full Version : Monster set - easy laydown - for ECondreras

Joe Tall
05-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Foxwoods 2/4 - loose game from the weekend. Has turned a little aggressive after my monster straddle hand. (Homer, did you read about my straddle? 'Table of the Dead and my live straddle' I was going to title it 'Ode to JTG, my first live straddle') Anywho, on to the hand

I'm in the BB w/ A /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

UTG limps, MP limps, MP2 raises (new guy but seems solid).
CO (call station) calls, button and SB fold and I 3-bet.

UTG calls, MP calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I bet out, UTG folds, MP folds, MP2 raises, CO calls, I 3-bet, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
I bet, MP2 raises, CO calls, I call. (should I check to lead out?, or should I put him on 1 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and ram it more?, I took the middle ground here. But I think I 'bet for info' too much according to you'all.)

River: 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I check, MP2 bets, CO calls, I fold.

MP2 turns over K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and takes down a big pot.
CO turns over Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and asks me what I had, I said AA, she says, 'NO WAY you lay that down', I shrug my shoulders and say 'how could I not?'

Homer
05-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Heh. Yeah, I saw that post. I can't bring myself to straddle...doubt I ever will.

I would be tempted to three-bet the turn, but would almost certainly end up just calling as you did. CO isn't a concern (maybe he has a bare spade) and MP2 is just as likely to have ATs or AxK /forums/images/icons/spade.gif as he is to have K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif or K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. On the river, you have an easy check-fold.

I'm not sure how this is similar to ECondreras's hand. He definitely had to see the turn despite the three-flush on board, and once he filled obviously he pounds with it from there.

-- Homer

cferejohn
05-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Someone (I think it was Homer) did say in the ECondreras thread that he could consider folding on the river if he did not fill up. In this case, I agree with Homer that folding the river is a no brainer unless your opponents are monsterously tricky.

ECondreras
05-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanks for that example. I definitely follow the thought process.

So if the river card was the 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , then what do you do? Call and have him show you the K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , right?

Joe Tall
05-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Good question, I had to think about it for a while before I responded.

Well, In this particular hand, I was 99.95% sure that MP2 had the Flush (via a tell, his prior play, and his mannerisms), if I was heads up with him and an off suit hit the river, I might check-call, the pot is big enough for a showdown. However, with the CO in the hand and the way it played out, I have think someone has the flush and I can feel a lot better about laying my set down.