PDA

View Full Version : Annika Sorenstam: over/under

Inthacup
05-20-2003, 03:15 PM
The over/under on Annika is 76.5. If I bet on things like this, this is an EASY under. She'll shoot better than a 76 for sure. She hits her drives about 275. The colonial is not soo long that it's going to force her to go high. Anyone disagree?

Homer
05-20-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure that people think she is going to shoot high because of a lack of driving distance. I think it is because she is going to have trouble holding greens (due to having to hit longer irons in) and because her short game isn't anywhere near as good as that of the men.

I have no idea how well she will do. The only thing I know is that she is going to play better than this - http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0520/1556694.html

-- Homer

HDPM
05-20-2003, 03:50 PM
I think she is capable of a 76. But it's no lock. She is almost certainly going to miss the cut. I expect one round above 76 and perhaps into the 80's. A combination of factors could add up that will lead to potentially big numbers. Hypothetical: Take a long par 4. Annika hits less than her best drive, which she often does under pressure. She has 200 left to a tucked pin. She has no club in the bag to attack the pin. The men are hitting 8-iron-wedge into the green. Annika either can't hold the green near the pin with her low ball hitting or has to play safe. She is a lousy lag putter by Tour standards. She can blow 40 footers 8 feet by on the LPGA greens. If she misses the green, particularly on the short side, she is going to have problems. Her short game is not that great. She is also going to be under a lot of pressure. In a way it is unfair to judge her on her first performance in a men's event, but that is going to happen and she's going to feel the heat. Tiger's right, it might be better to see what she can do in 4 or 5 events. I think 76.5 looks like a good number and I don't know how I'd bet it. I expect to see Annika do something like 81-73 or vice-versa. With big numbers possible if she plays bad. I kind of hope I'm wrong, but there is the potential for her to look bad.

Inthacup
05-20-2003, 04:54 PM
I remember when Tiger sprained his wrist in the Masters the year(or two) before he turned pro. Weird stuff like that happens. One time I was playing with a guy, and his ball was sitting on top of some muddy ground where the water from a pond had receded. He caught the ball fat and hit a rock with his club. Mud flew all over him, he bent the club like it was a boomerang, he slipped due to the awkward angle, and in his fall, the club hit him in the groin. Go figure.

Tom D
05-21-2003, 12:25 AM
I have to think she’ll be lucky to break 80, especially after reading HDPM’s post. It’s my impression, after watching the ladies live, at Dupont, and on TV, that the women’s courses are pretty tame compared to the men’s, with wide-open fairways and nothing much in the way tee to green.

I’m starting to get very concerned she might embarrass herself, but I’ve got to go with the over. Has she ever played the course (men’s tees)? I hope she knows what she’s doing.

Tom D

Inthacup
05-22-2003, 04:22 PM
So who's cashed in off my wise prediction? Anyone Anyone?

Never question Bruce Dickenson!