PDA

View Full Version : Big happy family - J8s

StellarWind
10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Party 5/10 6-max (6-handed)

Hero is BB with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Preflop: Everyone limps and Hero checks.

Flop (6 SB): 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif (6 players)
5 checks, Button bets, only Hero calls.

Button is 71/13. Postflop he is very loose even for a calling station. If you want to move him off a hand, as the Warren Zevon song goes, bring dynamite and a crane. He's passive but bets at loose pots. I haven't seen him in action but his stats suggest he cannot be trusted. He loses an awful lot of hands after showing aggression.

Turn (4 BB): Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

River (6 BB): K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls.

Bonus question: Suppose the river is J /images/graemlins/club.gif?

admiralfluff
10-04-2005, 07:05 PM
with so many people left to act behind you, I really hate the flop call. Given that you got there, I think you should have checkraised the river.

Lurkmaster Flex
10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I 3-bet the river. If he has a lone 6 he's liable to raise thinking you bet with a K or 2 pairs. A J /images/graemlins/club.gif river I prolly check call, I don't want to pay 2 bets to see his 6.

goofball
10-04-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm inclined to check call a J or even an 8 river. Against this lag player I think you should 3bet the river.

Drontier
10-04-2005, 07:16 PM
given your description, I think i c/r both rivers. If you think he has a decent chance of having a 6, why are you peeling this flop. Given that I got here, I 3 bet river.

NLSoldier
10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
I dont really get the flop call. 6-1 with overs and backdoor draws, a passive guy betting and 4 other guys behind you? Meh.

StellarWind
10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
I thought I would get better opinions on 3-betting of the river if the original hand post showed the hand ending in a call.

But now I see that many of you like the river 3-bet idea so I will ask the follow-up question.

Should I call the cap?

krishanleong
10-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I can't see not 3-betting that river. Given the amount of action in the hand, I think he'll push a lone 6 pretty hard here on the river. Your read makes it even more likely that your hand is good. Flop call looks medicro unless you thought that a single pair hand would win the pot the majority of the time. And if you thought that, a flush should win an enormous amount of the time.

Krishan - 96

ALL1N
10-04-2005, 10:45 PM
If you're not going to make a play at the pot when you pick up a draw, then the flop call is bad.

StellarWind
10-05-2005, 02:56 PM
The flop call is marginal. Counting the backdoors and overcards this adds up to nine outs. Discounting for all the obvious problems it might be worth about five. The risk of being raised by one of the players behind me is a serious issue. Counterbalancing that is the substantial possibility of getting a free card on the turn because the bettor has the button. It is of course possible that this player has a real hand but it isn't particularly likely and he may already be planning on checking the turn through.

Overall this has potential to be a big pot and no one has indicated much strength. It seems worth making a small investment to stay in.

Getting heads up was pretty unexpected. This looked like a flop that would attract lots of callers. The turn card is great and normally I would bet it. However against this player that would be a waste of money. I'm the first to point out that calling stations actually fold a lot, just not nearly enough, but this player is an exception. He just reduced the field from six to two and there is almost no chance he is going out now.

The river is a serious mistake. One of the reasons for calling the flop is the expectation of getting overpaid by this bad player. My decision not to 3-bet was a poor one despite the board pair. No one took the bait and answered my question about calling the cap, but clearly I need to.

Villain actually showed T9o and my hand was always good.