PDA

View Full Version : What to do in life?

Rooster71
10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
<<Originally posted to Psych forum, but it probably belongs here in OOT>>

Hello all. I am 34 years old (single with no children) and for the last year I have been permanently disabled (on SSDI and long term disability). I have a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that has caused me to lose most of the strength and sensitivity in my arms, legs, hand and feet. I can still walk, write and use a keyboard, however I am very slow at doing all three.

My purpose in posting this is basically to get comments, input and ideas, etc. from people I don't personally know. Things like "what would you do in a similar situation" and what others you have known may have done in similar situations. I especially value input from persons in similar situations. I am basically looking to expand my outlook on life in general, I guess.

I am unable to work, luckily my disability income covers my expenses. I have adequate savings to invest, so investing is definitely something I am interested in (not stocks & bonds).

Ogre
10-04-2005, 06:52 PM
play poker?

Brainwalter
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
investing is definitely something I am interested in (not stocks & bonds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what, pray tell?

Boris
10-04-2005, 07:59 PM
One of my best friends from highschool was rendered quadrapalegic in a drunk driving accident. He became a teacher. he teaches highschool english and loves his job.

Los Feliz Slim
10-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi Rooster,

I'm assuming this is legitimate, since I see no humor in making it up.

Since you've been so open and seem to be looking for honest thoughts, can I ask if the condition is expected to get worse? If so, when? Is there a point at which it becomes terminal?

Travelling the world would be near the top of my list in any case, but the answers to the above might have an effect on how I'd go about it.

LFS

Jeebus
10-04-2005, 08:16 PM
get really deep into the study of something, I'd say philosophy. Then write a masterful book and be regarded as a genius.

10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Why not try to find a cure for your disease. I mean if you don't who is?

polltard

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you've been so open and seem to be looking for honest thoughts, can I ask if the condition is expected to get worse? If so, when? Is there a point at which it becomes terminal?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes my condition is expected to get worse, BUT it does not result in death. It is a neuro disorder in the Muscular Dystrophy family of disorders. And my disorder doesn't affect the brain.

[ QUOTE ]
Travelling the world would be near the top of my list in any case, but the answers to the above might have an effect on how I'd go about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree on travelling the world. But that is probably 10+ years in the future for me.

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
play poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been doing alot of that. A new poker room is located near me, I had alot of fun there. But I am now back to playing online due to a recent surgery.

After this series of surgeries is complete, I will probably be traveling to various poker hotspots across the country.

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
investing is definitely something I am interested in (not stocks & bonds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what, pray tell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Real estate and related investments (buying notes, tax liens, etc.)

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get really deep into the study of something, I'd say philosophy. Then write a masterful book and be regarded as a genius.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been considering a Masters degree. I am interested in philosophy, guess I need to find some books on phil for starters. The two scholastic fields that interest me most are philosophy and psychology.

Shajen
10-05-2005, 11:43 AM
well, since your day to day expenses are taken care of via disability income, I'd say the answer is whatever you want to.

Got an interest in a particular field? Go to college for it.

Now is the perfect time for this I think.

If you happen to have a nice chunk of money saved up, you might consider real estate investing or the stock market.

(Now to go read some responses)

edit: just read the part about not playing the market. Disregard

FouTight
10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Not to insult you, but, why can't you work?

I know a guy that is in a lot worse shape then you are and he has no problem holding a job down as a computer programmer. He doesn't produce very quickly, but he gets his work done and is very good at what he does. He can't walk, and he can barely move his hands, but he sits at his computer and gets it done.

You can clearly type and I assume talk, and judging by your writing skills, you have the capacity to work an office job, so, why can't you do this?

Sincere
10-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I would do a lot of drugs/play a lot of poker/and bet a lot on dogs/horses/sports.

Wait, I do that anyway.

Rooster71
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to insult you, but, why can't you work?

I know a guy that is in a lot worse shape then you are and he has no problem holding a job down as a computer programmer. He doesn't produce very quickly, but he gets his work done and is very good at what he does. He can't walk, and he can barely move his hands, but he sits at his computer and gets it done.

You can clearly type and I assume talk, and judging by your writing skills, you have the capacity to work an office job, so, why can't you do this?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can type at a slow rate, same thing with writing. I can do alot of things but after a couple of hours I am virtually useless. I continued to work for a year after my doctor suggested I go on disability. I was a web programmer prior to disability. Without any attorney, I was approved for SSDI on the first try. Your question was not insulting, but frustrating. If I could work like a normal person I would.

somapopper
10-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Have you ever considered getting a law degree Rooster? To some extent it combines philosophy and psychology, and with a disabillity the probability of obtaining a full scholarship increases.

I suggest it because I've ben researching the idea myself, and it seems a law degree can provide many flexible career options. However you chose to practice, it would probably not be difficult or financially unrealistic to dictate all of your correspondance, notes, etc. if writing is or becomes to difficult.

A relative of mine who is blind was a very successful student at Georgetown, and is now doing well in private practice.