PDA

View Full Version : Variance contributors in NL...

DcifrThs
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Im curious as to the determinants of the reduced variance in NL.

so far ive come up with the following:

1) fewer players per pot on average (hands hold up more, grouping etc.)

2) fewer turns/rivers/showdowns seen.

3) worse odds to draw so the above is fulfilled

ANd here are some things that negatively contribute to the reduction in variance:

1) bet size on average/hand

2) cost of 2nd best hands

3) more hands played in position that limit

any thoughts or additional contributions?

thanks
Barron

AZK
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
2) fewer turns/rivers/showdowns seen.

I think this is key.

BubbleBoy
10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I've only played NL for a couple months now, switching over from mid-high limit games. MY VPIP is lower in full ring NL by a couple % points and my pfr is lower by 1/3rd or so. But my showdown percentage is something like 10%-13% (no PT in front of me) in NL versus low 30% showdowns seen in limit. I agree that this is probably a very big reason for the lower variance.

What is everyone's % of showdowns seen?

Yeti
10-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I believe that the main area where you can reduce variance is releasing your overpairs to raises on a two-tone flop.

matt holland
10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
"I believe that the main area where you can reduce variance is releasing your overpairs to raises on a two-tone flop. "

Because the percentage of the time people will attempt to represent a big semi-bluff with a set?

edge
10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I believe that the main area where you can reduce variance is releasing your overpairs to raises on a two-tone flop. "

Because the percentage of the time people will attempt to represent a big semi-bluff with a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's more that the amount you make over time by playing on in this spot is pretty small compared to the variance in this spot. You're up against a draw, set, or bluff most of the time, and it's really like rock/paper/scissors. You'll give up some money by folding every time, but you won't see as many swings.