PDA

View Full Version : Counting pot odds

10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Here's a situation I ran into today while playing a shorthanded, 3/6 game on party poker, and it's not the first time it's happened to me either.

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif
EP1 calls, 2 folds, hero calls from button, sb completes, bb checks the option.
pot size: 4 sb.

** Dealing Flop **A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
checks around
Pot size: 2 bb.
** Dealing Turn ** 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
sb checks, bb bets, mp folds, hero calls, sb check-raises, bb calls, hero calls.
Pot size: 8 bb
** Dealing River ** Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
sb bets, bb folds, hero folds.
Final Pot: 8 bb.

Alright, so here's my logic. when it was all checked around on the flop, i'm thinking that if I hit my J or 9, then 2nd pair might be good enough. Anyway, when the bb bets on the turn, I started counting my odds and came to a conclusion that I had 15 outs: 3 9s, 3 Js and 9 clubs. That's about 3:1, and that's what the pot was paying me. I decided that he didn't have an A just based on the way he had been playing. But then the sb check-raised, and here is where my question comes in. The way I play cards, if I have money in the pot on a betting round and the pot gets check-raised, the money I've already put in is gone, it's not mine. Therefor, even tho I've decided I'm down to 9 outs, I'm getting the right pot odds to call since the money I already invested isn't mine anymore. Does this make sense? Does anyone agree with my call of the check-raise on the turn? If not, any reasons why? Thanks.

AP

paperboyNC
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Yes you have to call the check raise. your flush alone is enough outs.

PSW
10-04-2005, 03:27 PM
What about the first call? Not enough pot odds but do you still need to call for other reasons here?

Thanks,

psw

cold_cash
10-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of your initial limp.

I would also bet the flop.

Folding to the checkraise would be bad.

sy_or_bust
10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
This isn't a great spot to limp preflop if you're playing this weakly.

Pot odds don't matter - you need to bet the flop. You'll win it righ there, or with a turn bet, a good % of the time when you don't improve. Getting passive on the button here sucks. Reads are important as always - you should include them.

hobbsmann
10-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I play mostly 6 max and I don't mind your limp if the game is fairly loose passive. What you really need to be doing is betting this flop which will often times either a) thin the field and/or b) get you a free card on the turn.

BigEndian
10-04-2005, 04:02 PM
To answer your specific question, you have to call the hand on the turn given the specific situation even only on the merits of your flush draw. You're getting 3-1 immediate and if you make your flush you can, on average, at least make up the other BB.

You also have to call the turn CR, that's a given.

- Jim