PDA

View Full Version : Should I feel guilty about this stupid joke?

MarkSummers
10-04-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm home for the Jewish new year, Rosh Hashannah and my mom is busy making dinner for our guests coming over tonight. The phone rings and I answer it and it's one of my mom's friend who asks if any of the food she's making has nuts in it (presumably because someone she's bringing is alergic?).

I ask my mom and she says no there's nothing with nuts she's making. Her friend asks, "You sure, absolutely nothing?"

I relay to my mom, "You sure there's nothing mom? What about that nut salad?" My mom laughs as she picks up on my dumb joke and says that there's nothing with nuts. So I tell the friend that there's absolutely nothing. She says, "Wait, what about the nut salad?" I tell her that it was just a joke but she doesn't seem think it's funny.

Should I feel bad or was this harmless? I guess if you're alergic to nuts it's not very funny.

TheMainEvent
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess if you're alergic to nuts it's not very funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it very funny if you're not allergic to nuts?

MarkSummers
10-04-2005, 02:46 PM
No, I wasn't trying to funny. I was just trying to be affable. I guess I failed.

Richie Rich
10-04-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I relay to my mom, "You sure there's nothing mom? What about that nut salad?" My mom laughs as she picks up on my dumb joke and says that there's nothing with nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very clever...I would write that one down. Oh wait, you already did.

btw- Do you know how many Jewish grandmothers it takes to screw in a lightbulb?

A: <font color="white">(in a whiny tone) Forget it...I'll sit in the dark. </font>

cdxx
10-04-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's alright. not very funny, but definitely not offensive. i used to work with a guy who was allergic to nuts, alcohol, chocolate, and tofu (probably other things too, but i can't remember). we used to joke with him about how his life sucks. he was not offended. neither should this person.

Lazymeatball
10-04-2005, 02:49 PM
You could be just as offended by her asking you the same question a second time after you had just given her an answer, like you are some kind of moron or something. You were mocking her persistence, not the actual medical condition.

MarkSummers
10-04-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could be just as offended by her asking you the same question a second time after you had just given her an answer, like you are some kind of moron or something. You were mocking her persistence, not the actual medical condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but better safe than sorry.

10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
no you shouldnt feel guilty for being jewish

ddubois
10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
I thought it was funny and I think she's a bitch for asking a second time.

CardSharpCook
10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no you shouldnt feel guilty for being jewish

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's about what I see in this post too. She just didn't pick up on your sense of humor, man. No biggie.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Clearly the correct course of action at this point is to add nuts to everything. Either that or make jokes about her eating your nuts all evening.

M2d
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to work with a guy who was allergic to nuts, alcohol,...

[/ QUOTE ]
how can he get drunk and call her? hssckh

Colonel Kataffy
10-04-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tell her that it was just a joke but she doesn't seem think it's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a sense of humor like that, why invite her at all?

JayLear
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I relay to my mom, "You sure there's nothing mom? What about that nut salad?" My mom laughs as she picks up on my dumb joke...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a joke only a Mom could laugh at.

Warik
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Feel guilty for what? It was a joke... there was this dude in my office who was allergic to chocolate and I would make chocolate jokes all the time.

JayLear
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Make sure you relay this information when you see her tonight, and then let us know how it goes. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BradleyT
10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Quickly go buy a tray full of nuts and put it out on the coffee table in the entrance to the house.

PocketJokers72
10-04-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm home for the Jewish new year, Rosh Hashannah

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold pre-jew

HopeydaFish
10-04-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm home for the Jewish new year, Rosh Hashannah

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold pre-jew

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...I don't know why I found this funny...lol

HopeydaFish
10-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Some people just enjoy acting insulted and indignant in order to make others feel uncomfortable. It's a control/arrogance thing. This woman is obviously very self-important and doesn't want some youngster making jokes at her expense.

MonkeeMan
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
The joke is that you should in any way feel guilty about this. F' em if they can't take a joke.

The Yugoslavian
10-04-2005, 05:34 PM
You should have titled your post 'Ethical dilemma...'

As for the actual situation, I used to be allergic to many foods, among which were most nuts. I'd say if the person was offended, then he/she is nuts and insecure. At worst what you said was just a lame joke. More likely it was fairly to quite funny.

Yugoslav

tek
10-10-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I feel bad or was this harmless?

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily Yom Kippur is right around the corner /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave G.
10-10-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't get it