PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars differences between 16,27 & 60 dollar turbos

10-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I have been a low buyin SNG player for about a year. For the past 2 months I've been doing the 16 dollar turbos and keeping a very good ROI and ITM. My bankroll is ready for the 27s and might soon be ready for the 60s. What I'm wondering is if someone could give some analysis on the different levels of play. What will my opponents be doing differently and what kinds of things should I be doing differently? How long should I stay with the 27s before I go to the 60s? Any kind of info is appreciated. Thanks.

Iamafish
10-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Do you really think someone will answer your question? Well, um, they'll probably play better.

Play 500-1000 games and move up when you do well.

pooh74
10-04-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been a low buyin SNG player for about a year. For the past 2 months I've been doing the 16 dollar turbos and keeping a very good ROI and ITM. My bankroll is ready for the 27s and might soon be ready for the 60s. What I'm wondering is if someone could give some analysis on the different levels of play. What will my opponents be doing differently and what kinds of things should I be doing differently? How long should I stay with the 27s before I go to the 60s? Any kind of info is appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Well the reason I'm asking is because I did 8 27s yesterday. One of the things I noticed was that it was a bit tighter then the 16s early on which turned it into a stealing and racing fest at the end. The blinds were larger when we got down to 5,4 and 3 people and many of the players were in push/fold mode. I had one of them go to 600/1200 blinds and 4 people remaining. You never see that in the 16s (at least I've never seen it). I'm just wondering if this was normal or I just happened to have an odd couple of sets to start off.

10-04-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha. I did. But I like getting answers from multiple sources. Who is this?

Iamafish
10-04-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the reason I'm asking is because I did 8 27s yesterday. One of the things I noticed was that it was a bit tighter then the 16s early on which turned it into a stealing and racing fest at the end. The blinds were larger when we got down to 5,4 and 3 people and many of the players were in push/fold mode. I had one of them go to 600/1200 blinds and 4 people remaining. You never see that in the 16s (at least I've never seen it). I'm just wondering if this was normal or I just happened to have an odd couple of sets to start off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im still chump change and play the 16's. Ive had several that got deep into the blinds, how many have you played?

Edit: If the blinds get that high with 4 left, you probably might be missing pushes earlier. Ofcourse you can't always control it, so thats just the way it is moving up. Oh and you only played 8.

pooh74
10-04-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is who? Me? I'm pooh

pooh74
10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats abnormal. i had a 27 in HU at 100/200 no antes which ended there. Also abnormal

10-04-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im still chump change and play the 16's. Ive had several that got deep into the blinds, how many have you played?

Edit: If the blinds get that high with 4 left, you probably might be missing pushes earlier. Ofcourse you can't always control it, so thats just the way it is moving up. Oh and you only played 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I wasn't missing pushes. I was one of 2 bigger stacks to start off when we got 4 handed and by the time the 4th person busted I had 10,500 chips and the other 2 had about 1 thousand each....and the only times I had to show my cards is when some ultra small stack had no more choice but to call. But we didn't get down to 4 people until 300/600 because of the tightness of the table to begin with. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible. That is extremely rare at the 16s.

Also...understood about only playing 8. Thats why I was asking the more experienced players. 8 is clearly not enough to know anything for sure, but I did notice a pattern.

10-04-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is who? Me? I'm pooh

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your board name on Terptown. And don't say Poohterp. Is this Mowrmowr?

pooh74
10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is who? Me? I'm pooh

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i dont even know what Terptown is! Just figured you knew UMTerp is all. I play the 27s on PS.

"poohterp"? I like that...

10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is who? Me? I'm pooh

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i dont even know what Terptown is! Just figured you knew UMTerp is all. I play the 27s on PS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. I know UMTerp very well. We both post on the same Terps message board. Poohterp is one of our good friends as well. We all tailgate together. Your comment definitely made you think that you were one of our buddies on Terptown as well. What is your user name on pstars? I'll try to avoid you....

bluefeet
10-04-2005, 01:37 PM
I haven't played the 16's
I have played 600-700 27's
I just moved to the 60's, playing less than 200

In my short time at the 60's, I DO find them noticeably tighter than the 27's. Level 6, still 6-7 handed has been common place. I don't know what the "key adjustment" is quite yet. But at a minimum, be sure to have your push-play optimized.

(which one of you is the "confused1", hmmm?)

pooh74
10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask your brother "UM"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is who? Me? I'm pooh

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. I know UMTerp very well. We both post on the same Terps message board. Poohterp is one of our good friends as well. We all tailgate together. Your comment definitely made you think that you were one of our buddies on Terptown as well. What is your user name on pstars? I'll try to avoid you....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny. Sorry about the mixup.

Anyway, I have played about 2000 16s and about 3000 27s lifetime (total estimate-only recently started keeping stats again). I have played 10 60s.

The 27s and 15s are probably more similar than either is to the 60s. But like I said, thats just a guess.

level 4 and 5 are probably easily exploitable at the 60s because everyone is so tight mid-stage. But I have yet to deploy any sort of strategy there. I have been withdrawing all profits for the last 8 months and have only recently decided to keep some profit in my account, so I am not adequetely BR'd for the 60s (I would like at least 3k, but I am very risk averse).

Try a UMterp ladder approach maybe...

Paragon
10-04-2005, 04:00 PM
I played just shy of 1000 $27's over the summer and did about 550 $60's in September... but I'm still not sure I can give a good answer.

Probably the #1 difference is that you won't get as many loose allin calls. You know, the ones where you push AK utg and AT somehow calls directly on your left? That won't happen as much, sadly. There's also a lot less dead money early on I guess. However, I think later on there's more fold equity on the bubble and you can push any 2 as bigstack with more success.

Basically, you'll get fewer gifts, but if you had a winning strategy before, it will probably work now too. There's a lot of nuances to the PokerStars structure in my opinion...

On a side note, I'm also a UMD student at College Park /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fisherman112
10-04-2005, 07:04 PM
people will be more aggressive, better at reading you and less likely to tilt away their chips the higher you play.

10-04-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...In my short time at the 60's, I DO find them noticeably tighter than the 27's. Level 6, still 6-7 handed has been common place. I don't know what the "key adjustment" is quite yet. But at a minimum, be sure to have your push-play optimized.
(which one of you is the "confused1", hmmm?)

[/ QUOTE ]

a strong short handed, late-sng theory is a must have for higher level sngs. better players tend to be tighter early, and open up when the blinds increase to a point that would justify more aggressive play. The game becomes less about the cards youre dealt and more about knowing how players will react to different plays. oh yeah, if youre playing turbo's, winning races is crucial.

UMTerp
10-04-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try a UMterp ladder approach maybe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry, that's actually a good idea, and one I didn't think of for some reason. You multitable, right? I think you were asking about moving from $16s to $27s. If you're really that apprehensive about moving up, just mix in one table at the higher limit, then another, then another as you feel comfortable.

Like I told you, the difference between the $16s and $27s is very very negligible, and you're solid enough that I would think you could even show a small profit at the $60s. I wouldn't jump straight from $16s to $60s though.

10-13-2005, 08:46 PM
You rang?

I'm Confused1 on here, too. You have a question?