PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question about Death...

phil_ivey_fan
10-04-2005, 12:03 PM
OOT Post about "Amazing Pictures" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3571920&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post3573035)

After reading this post and going through alot of the photos and seeing some responses I am beginning to wonder if I am too dettached from death? I do not get one inkling of sadness in my body at the site of this stuff. My gf cringes when ppl get shot in movies and on tv, but it doesn't bother me. I usually kinda laugh to myself when its really gory like someone getting their head blown off or something along those lines.

I also remember Sept 11. The gravity of this incident never affected me. I didn't know anyone directly involved, but the images and stories I heard didn't affect my emotional side.

Is something wrong with me? The world goes on whether or not we take the time to mourn (sp?) ...

am I a heartless bastard who's eventually going to know what true loss is?

shakingspear
10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Have you ever lost anyone close to you? If so, how did you feel? If not have you ever seen anyone dead?

I was the same way until I saw my first dead body. Dude got burnt up in a car. It really upset me, even though I didn't know the guy. But until then I was pretty cold to death.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I think I've seen too much of it for it to bother me too much except for children. Then it really bothers me. I generally choose to avoid things like today's photo thread for that reason. It will put me in a funk for awhile sometimes. Thinking about my own kids really helps though.

steelcmg
10-04-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOT Post about "Amazing Pictures" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3571920&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post3573035)

After reading this post and going through alot of the photos and seeing some responses I am beginning to wonder if I am too dettached from death? I do not get one inkling of sadness in my body at the site of this stuff. My gf cringes when ppl get shot in movies and on tv, but it doesn't bother me. I usually kinda laugh to myself when its really gory like someone getting their head blown off or something along those lines.

I also remember Sept 11. The gravity of this incident never affected me. I didn't know anyone directly involved, but the images and stories I heard didn't affect my emotional side.

Is something wrong with me? The world goes on whether or not we take the time to mourn (sp?) ...

am I a heartless bastard who's eventually going to know what true loss is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Saddly to say after losing alot of very close people to me with in a short time i to do not get all that upset about people dying. If its someone close i may get a little upset but other then that i just say owell what ever. I realy dont know if theres anything wrong with me or u or who ever else feels this way.

captZEEbo1
10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
I was same way as you about sept 11. Some of the pictures were a LITTLE chilling. When I see deaths on movies/tv it's similar to seeing those pictures for me. The only time I was really sad/upset over death was when I went to a Holocaust museum (I have no relation to anyone from the Holocaust; it just makes me sick to think about tortured, racially-motivated deaths).

daveymck
10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
As the thread starter I guess I am the one that said "amazing" I think they were amazing because of what they captured and the quality of them rather than the emotions it "should" stir up.

Personally I found a lot of the pictures sad particulary the child ones, maybe there is some empathy there purely from being a father myself, I also found it a touch saddening that most of the winning pictures were of unhappy events there were very few (if any) of good times.

I can look at thing on ogrish and other sites with emotional detatchment but it does tend to be pictures with kids in that gives me a more emotional response.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no relation to anyone from the Holocaust; it just makes me sick to think about any tortured deaths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Escape
10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Check out the ogrish.com forums. They are full of people like you(and me).

Not to long ago I was laughing when some elderly people died in a fire accident while they were being evacuated. My parents gave me a weird look, oh well.

This is something I don't tell anyone, just like pokar nowadays. I'm a freaaak

gobboboy
10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
One of my grandfathers died in the Holocaust.
He fell from his guard tower.

OH.
OH.
OH.

Seriously though, I feel the same way. I have a really apathetic approach to death overall, but at the same time I can't think about my life without a few people in it. It's kind of sad, but all too common in our society. The people who run the US are even less sensitive to the deaths of civilians.