PDA

View Full Version : Leave when stack is TOO big??

Phishy McFish
10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
I play aggressive (too aggressive I am sure). However, as expected this makes my swings in PLO even more drastic. My question is do any of you leave a table because you simply want to not have any chance of putting all of your winnings from a rush into 1 pot (assuming there may be another huge stack on the table)??

For instance, you are at a PLO200 and score a big pot to get you over 1000. There is another PLO200 table on the same site. You move and your 800 is not at risk anymore. Or you wait the (site required) time limit to rejoin at table max and come back with the 200 max buy in accomplishing the same thing.

autobet
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, sometimes I like to lockup a big win. I tend to do this if I lost the night before. It can be very frustrating to quadruple up and lose it all in one hand.

If I have been running well or drinking well, I will be more likely to let it ride and play my big stack.

Of course a

DRKEVDC
10-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Maybe I am a little off here, however, wouldn't this define discipline?

10-04-2005, 05:03 PM
i think you are correct in leaving, especially with over 1000, you usually more than cover the rest of the table. Why put the extra chips at risk when at 200 you'll be more than comfortable

Big Dave D
10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
This is hugely contrary to how the best players online play. The reason that the best players on say Stars have big stacks is that often if the game breaks up, they stay logged in so that when the game starts again, they are already chipped up. Wanting to play short stacked in a game that is too big for you and that you are taking a shot at is fine; but a lot of profit can be made from big stack vs big stack confrontations. What you are suggesting is only a short term remedy and one that will further limit your ability to step up games.

gl

dd

Spellmen
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
If I think I have a good chance of winning money from the other bigs stacks (ie they are bad), I will stay. If I feel I am at a disadvantage because another big stack player is obviously better or equally skilled as me then I will usually leave rather than put my stack at risk

Big Dave D
10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
How will you get better playing big stacks if you never play them? It is too easy to give yourself an excuse that the other big stack is a good player and go. You don't have to push marginal hands against a good foe anyway. But what happens if he gets himself trapped in a hand where you will crush him? Or a donk starts to double or treble up.

If you never stay with a big stack in PLO you are missing out on some of the most profitable opportunties in the game.

gl

dd

10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
I always thought the standard line of thought was to build a big stack and not leave the game until it breaks up or dries up. I, however, understand how uncomfortable it can be to be sitting in a game where you have five times the buy-in and there are one or two others near your stack size. If they are very solid players, I leave because I don't see myself gaining much +EV from playing pots with them. On the other hand, if they are lucky fish or if the table is full of people with much smaller stacks than myself, I tend to stay and see how things play out.

fisherman112
10-05-2005, 12:48 AM
the only reasons for leaving a game because you have a lot of chips are
1) you're not truly comfortable at the stakes
2)you're on a losing streak and need the confidence boost of booking a win
3)game conditions are no longer favorable (there are dangerous players who cover you or your stack size is keeping people from giving you action)

Phishy McFish
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I think if you are super aggressive and you get a stack that big you need to "book the win". I do think that some players get the big stack and then everyone else has to be prepared to play for their entire stack any time they face them.....which has its advantages. I think my main concern is I am not disciplined enough yet to know that in order to get in a pot with anyone else at that point with a huge stack (relative to max buy in) that I need to hold a monster. I think where I have run into problems in the past is getting into a multi-way pot and one of the others being another huge stack....the 1-2 small/regular size stacks get all in and then you have to be able to get away from a hand for a side pot with the other huge stack that can felt you even though there is a huge pot out there.

Big Dave D
10-05-2005, 03:03 PM
If you only address the symptoms, and never cure the disease, how will you get better?

gl

dd

Phishy McFish
10-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Agreed. I still say I am half way there by being self aware. I know my style is to gamble too much.

I have read the 2+2 books, though on HE or general theory. I am not a "play only the group 1 & group 2 hands player." Never will ahppen. I do think though that you can play my style and be successful, it just takes more POST flop discipline.

Last week twice I was playing in a short handed game and was dealt QQ with a lower pair double suited....raised, got reraised, called and flopped AQx rainbow....bet half got reraised instantly pot and once called and the other time laid down......both times the other guy had aces. Both times I felt it (as everything screamed it). I guess the fold was right and the call was wrong both times (as there was little money from others in the pot and plenty of chips behind us both).....but I don't think over time I will lay that down 50% of the time.......I was in the zone the day I did.

I may have to pick up a Omaha book for the plane trip to Vegas this weekend.