PDA

View Full Version : Top pair got check-raised on the turn.

hemstock
10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
MP3 is new at the table so I treat him as an unknown typical loose and passive opponent.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>

Can he do that?
If he is passive then I am way behind.
If he is aggressive and a good player, he has to have at least a better top pair to make that move.

Fold or call down?

zuluking
10-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I would raise pre-flop. Call the turn raise and check/call the river.

hemstock
10-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes I think I missed a raise preflop too

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why though?

Fantam
10-04-2005, 11:32 AM
How about if he is loose (or slightly loose) and agressive ?

I would call down. A good player would probably have raised preflop with AQ or KQ, so you are probably only beaten by QJ if he has a better Q.

Also, some players like to bluff when a scare card appears, and I dont think that there are that many hands that MP3 would be likely to limp in with that contain a 3, (A3s perhaps).

66 is one of the few reasonable preflop limping hands that MP3 could have played this way, but you cant say for certain that he has that.

crownjules
10-04-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand has showdown value against an unknown, IMO. At this point, I would not be giving MP3 credit for a 3 since that means he's betting bottom pair on a Q high board. Maybe he has 63 or Q3. It's also possible he has 66/33.

I'm calling down because I want to see what he's playing this way and because it's still possible to have the best hand.

davelin
10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hemstock
10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Does the pot size matter?

davelin
10-04-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the pot size matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. It's big enough to consider calling down IMO.

MrWookie47
10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand has showdown value against an unknown, IMO. At this point, I would not be giving MP3 credit for a 3 since that means he's betting bottom pair on a Q high board. Maybe he has 63 or Q3. It's also possible he has 66/33.

I'm calling down because I want to see what he's playing this way and because it's still possible to have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best reason to call down, IMO. Had he not bet, I think you could probably fold (pot would be smaller, too).

10-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Call down. I have a hard time folding here. If villian has a better top pair then QQ I think he would have bet pre-flop. Now, if he hit trips we're in trouble but with TPGK we have good drawing options. I'd call to showdown UI.