PDA

View Full Version : Journey is my favorite "new" band

10-04-2005, 03:06 AM
We young'uns really missed out on some good music....

"She's just a small town girl.....livin in a looonely wooorld.."

comon, people who's with me?

PoBoy321
10-04-2005, 03:08 AM
While I definitely love Journey, you're still like 5 years behind everyone else in our generation. Unless you're like 15, then you're probably only like a year or 2 behind.

EDIT: I also think you meant to say that Journey is your new favorite band.

Dynasty
10-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Journey was super-gay for those of us who grew up in the '80s.

GetThere1Time
10-04-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in the 90s. They're still gay.

craig r
10-04-2005, 04:03 AM
What about Steve Perry's solo career? Is that cool?

craig

Hal 2000
10-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Some may find the music gay, but Perry's got an outstanding voice.

craig r
10-04-2005, 04:09 AM
Every time I hear his name, I think of Baseketball and how they weren't allowed to have any more "Journey psyche outs".

steve perrryyyy

craig

Dynasty
10-04-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt the talent. But...

http://jackwolak.com/cd/4753.jpg

The guy on the far left? The guy on the far right? C'mon.

A kid I went to Junior High with looked incredibly like Steve Perry. His name was Todd Sweeney. It was so weird.

Eurotrash
10-04-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt the talent. But...

A kid I went to Junior High with looked incredibly like Steve Perry. His name was Todd Sweeney. It was so weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

the guy on the far right actually kind of looks like an 80s Daniel Negreanu

PoBoy321
10-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Al Czervik: What? When I was your age, I used to lug blocks of ice up 10, 20 flights of stairs.

D'Annunzio: So?

Al Czervik: So? So let's dance! (turns on radio)

*She loves to dance, she loves to sing! She loves everythiiiiiiing*

<font color="white"> I'm sorry if I completely butchered that quote </font>

jason_t
10-04-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Dynasty,

STFU.

jason_t

stinkypete
10-04-2005, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Dynasty,

STFU.

jason_t

[/ QUOTE ]

except not jason_t

jason_t
10-04-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Dynasty,

STFU.

jason_t

[/ QUOTE ]

except not jason_t

[/ QUOTE ]

[03:53] jason_t: pete i don't understand your post in the journey thread
[03:53] stinkypete: haha
[03:53] stinkypete: i was just quoting your post
[03:53] stinkypete: agreeing with it
[03:53] stinkypete: but then i realized
[03:53] stinkypete: you signed it
[03:53] stinkypete: jason_t
[03:54] jason_t: haha
[03:54] jason_t: nice
[03:54] stinkypete: but iw as too lazy to change that
[03:54] stinkypete: i guess it was a confusing post
[03:54] stinkypete: which is fine

You hear that Dynasty? Don't ban me again.

Overdrive
10-04-2005, 07:45 AM
New York City NYC!
Pretty mean when it wants to be
Black leather knee hole pants
Can't play no high school dance
Fuzz tone hear em go
Hear em on the radio
Misfits
Twilight Zone
R-A-M-O-N-E-S
Ramones!

Bad boy rock bad boy roll
Gabba gabba see them go
Bad boys then bad boys now
Good buddies mau mau mau
Dee Dee he left home
Joey call me on the phone
Misfits
Twilight Zone
R-A-M-O-N-E-S
Ramones!

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. The only reason any straight guy listened to it was to get into the panties.

10-04-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. The only reason any straight guy listened to it was to get into the panties.

[/ QUOTE ]

This smells of revisionist history by old guys trying to seem cool to young guys.

While Journey eventually became gay, from the mid-late 70s through the Escape album in '81, Journey was cool, and Escape is one of the great pop-rock albums of the 80s.

Shout it loud. I like Journey and I'm proud.

ChipWrecked
10-04-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This smells of revisionist history by old guys trying to seem cool to young guys.

While Journey eventually became gay, from the mid-late 70s through the Escape album in '81, Journey was cool, and Escape is one of the great pop-rock albums of the 80s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Same gay-pile as 'High Infidelity' by REO Speedwagon.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying I don't like Journey. But at the time they were very gay. It was not cool for straight guys to listen to Journey.

10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Same gay-pile as 'High Infidelity' by REO Speedwagon.

[/ QUOTE ]

1982 and beyond -- true.
Pre-1982 -- false.

Are you aware that Journey was a "spin off" from Santana? Do you recall that Neal Schon was one of the best "young" guitarists around at that time? They got a lot of play on the prog rock stations of the time. Journey was definitely not gay, until they jumped the shark.

samjjones
10-04-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying I don't like Journey. But at the time they were very gay. It was not cool for straight guys to listen to Journey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake is correct here.

For the record, I do have Journey and REO Speedwagon on my iPod.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1982 and beyond -- true.
Pre-1982 -- false.

Are you aware that Journey was a "spin off" from Santana? Do you recall that Neal Schon was one of the best "young" guitarists around at that time? They got a lot of play on the prog rock stations of the time. Journey was definitely not gay, until they jumped the shark.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should just stop. Everything you keep saying just reads as "I am (or was) gay."

drewjustdrew
10-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Journey was big with the 15 and under crowd in the early/mid 80s. Both boys and girls. I can't speak for older people. I agree mostly with Niss on this topic, but it does sound gay to defend Journey.

If they never did videos, they would be revered, not shunned, by homophobes everywhere.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If they never did videos, they would be revered, not shunned, by homophobes everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure homophobic has nothing to do with it. I meant it was "gay" not gay.

drewjustdrew
10-04-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure homophobic has nothing to do with it. I meant it was "gay" not gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all know it's a "I ain't no [censored]" attitude the Journey haters take on. Maybe that's not homophobic, but it's not too far off.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we all know it's a "I ain't no [censored]" attitude the Journey haters take on. Maybe that's not homophobic, but it's not too far off.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know any such thing actually. When I said "gay" I was not referring to homosexuals at all.

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. But when we got older we realized that it turned out to be not gay after all and, in fact, awesome.

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Journey was big with the 15 and under crowd in the early/mid 80s. Both boys and girls. I can't speak for older people. I agree mostly with Niss on this topic, but it does sound gay to defend Journey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake has pretty much described the true facts. Maybe you were a pansy little kid or something, I dunno. Journey was not gay because we were homophobic back then. It was gay because they were all weak and not tough and badass while we were listening to cool badass bands like Warrant, Winger, Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, and Bon Jovi. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the slightly more badass guys were maybe listening to Slayer, Skid Row, Pantera, and other bands like that. I bet you were listening to White Lion and Europe, though.

Shajen
10-04-2005, 11:23 AM
El DiablOWNED.

10-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Quit life.

drewjustdrew
10-04-2005, 11:33 AM
All the bands you name except Crue became popular after Journey faded. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

steelcmg
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in the 90s. They're still gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

samjjones
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake has pretty much described the true facts. Maybe you were a pansy little kid or something, I dunno. Journey was not gay because we were homophobic back then. It was gay because they were all weak and not tough and badass while we were listening to cool badass bands like Warrant, Winger, Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, and Bon Jovi. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the slightly more badass guys were maybe listening to Slayer, Skid Row, Pantera, and other bands like that. I bet you were listening to White Lion and Europe, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make a probing inquiry into the inclusion of "Whitesnake" twice in that list, but then I read the name "Europe", and forgot what I was going to say in the ensuring laughter.

10-04-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy on the left must think he's Joe Satriani. The guy on the right... well... nobody's facial hair should be that many shades darker than their head hair. It just ain't right.

drewjustdrew
10-04-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All the bands you name except Crue became popular after Journey faded. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, none of your kick-ass bands had their own video game.

samjjones
10-04-2005, 11:42 AM
This is true. I played the [censored] out of that Journey Atari game. "Don't Stop Believing", indeed...

4_2_it
10-04-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy on the left must think he's Joe Satriani.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy on the left is Neil Schon and Joe Satriani probably wishes he was Neil Schon.

Neil in his prime:
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2553/neil3dv.png

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, man. We already know you loved Journey back then. If you weren't into badass music, you could have at least picked cooler bands like Kansas and Boston, though you were probably more into Chicago and Europe and Asia.

10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The guy on the left is Neil Schon and Joe Satriani probably wishes he was Neil Schon.

Neil in his prime:
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2553/neil3dv.png

[/ QUOTE ]

That is Neil's PRIME!? Wow. Please post a picture of Neil during his "Downtrodden" days. This pic makes Nick Nolte's mugshot look like a pamphlet for the Childrens Museum.

astroglide
10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
dude that guy is living the dream. i would kill to have one pic like that in my life.

Sponger15SB
10-04-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every time I hear his name, I think of Baseketball and how they weren't allowed to have any more "Journey psyche outs".

steve perrryyyy

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't believe how many times me and my friends throw this out while playing sports. I once threw a bocce ball through a plate glass window after someone psyched me out. True story. Yep.

Cancer Merchant
10-04-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Stuart.

So we have a difference between gay as in lame, and gay as in I-love-the-cock. Using the former still sounds crappy, and calls for the copout "not that there's anything wrong with that." There's a better term. Use it.

drewjustdrew
10-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Someone is fixated on Europe, but not me. Boston and Kansas were a little before my time. Journey's last really big hit was Separate Ways in 1983.

The funny thing is, of the "badass" bands you named, I would have only considered Crue and Whitesnake in that category. The others, including Bon Jovi, were basically for the big-haired metal chicks. The only reason to like those bands, as previously mentioned, was to get with the chicks.

Real early/mid 80s "badass" bands included Crue, Maiden, Sabbath (I know they were 70's, but they had real staying power), Ozzy, Dio, Rush, Van Halen (Not Van Haggar) and Def Leppard before the drummer lost his arm.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Stuart.

So we have a difference between gay as in lame, and gay as in I-love-the-cock. Using the former still sounds crappy, and calls for the copout "not that there's anything wrong with that." There's a better term. Use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being so PC that you're worried about people's usage of the word "gay" is gay.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Real early/mid 80s "badass" bands included Crue, Maiden, Sabbath (I know they were 70's, but they had real staying power), Ozzy, Dio, Rush, Van Halen (Not Van Haggar) and Def Leppard before the drummer lost his arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree that these as well as El D's list were all badass bands at the time.

MonkeeMan
10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I can now step forward and admit it...I own the Escape album. Hopefully this is offset by having met Keith Richards.

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're talking, baby.

theben
10-04-2005, 12:28 PM
unknown to me

Ulysses
10-04-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure what word you're suggesting here. Homosexual?

MonkeeMan
10-04-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fudge-packer?

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fudge-packer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still attest that, AIDS is a much better word to describe what "gay" is supposed to. Something that is lame and horrible.

Journey is nothing other then awesome.

StevieG
10-04-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is true. I played the [censored] out of that Journey Atari game. "Don't Stop Believing", indeed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dodging the Burger King looking manager foes always tripped me up for some reason.

But first (http://coinop.org/g.aspx/100288/Journey.html) came the Journey arcade console game (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=J&amp;game_id=8242), which I remember playing. Neil Schon's level was tough.

lucas9000
10-04-2005, 01:01 PM
journey's pwnageness is timeless, and spans the generations.

lucas9000
10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude that guy is living the dream. i would kill to have one pic like that in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aloysius
10-04-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm 30. I like the Journey alot, but figured they would remain, much like Kansas or Boston, a good band that is maybe a sentimental favorite of people who enjoyed them when they were actually popular and selling albums. (I'm even a little young for them, really.)

Then I see Ryan, on "The OC", hooking up with Marisa while "Faithfully" plays in the background. (I think Journey may actually be his favorite band.) Next, I watch as Stephen on "Laguna Beach" drives LC around listening to "Don't Stop Believin." Then I read this thread...

Thoughts-

1) This is in keeping with the 20-Year Lag Rule for what highschool kids will listen to.
2) Who's next? I predict- The REO Speedwagon

samjjones
10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30. I like the Journey alot, but figured they would remain, much like Kansas or Boston, a good band that is maybe a sentimental favorite of people who enjoyed them when they were actually popular and selling albums. (I'm even a little young for them, really.)

Then I see Ryan, on "The OC", hooking up with Marisa while "Faithfully" plays in the background. (I think Journey may actually be his favorite band.) Next, I watch as Stephen on "Laguna Beach" drives LC around listening to "Don't Stop Believin." Then I read this thread...

Thoughts-

1) This is in keeping with the 20-Year Lag Rule for what highschool kids will listen to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Toto.

drewjustdrew
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts-

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys win. Journey is gay.

Jbrochu
10-04-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you were a big Meatloaf fan too....

B Dids
10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
This thread doesn't even exist until Neal Schon himself posts in it.

RacersEdge
10-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Did you get this from Family Guy episode I just saw? They were karaoking to "Don't Stop Believing". Perry has a great voice. I think I have 1 CD of theirs.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts-

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys win. Journey is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* You've learned nothing!!! Journey was gay!

ChipWrecked
10-04-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish to expand my answer.

Ridin' the Storm Out - not gay.

Anything 'High Infidelity' - Taking cock in the ass gay. I'm proud to say that it was never played in my car, and my running buddy and I immediately expelled anybody who did play that [censored]. Which carried weight, because we had the best weed. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dcasper70
10-04-2005, 02:39 PM
&lt;---

Boris
10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
hey Bro - I was listening to Ratt. pure badass.

razor
10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I had an opportunity to listen to "Don't Stop Believin'" tonight, I took that opportunity...

Journey = still gay

Neal_Schon
10-06-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Harry Potter was super-gay for those of us who aren't 48 year old virgins living in Vegas applying foot cream and listening to Styx

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP