PDA

View Full Version : NiR's dreadful story (on edge) . a must read!!!

NiR
10-04-2005, 12:57 AM
ok guys if you guys dont no, i builded myself up to be playing the 55's 8 tables in a little over a month preety damn fast. i made a post about me trying to move super fast to the 215's to play there because i knew i was a winning player. i didnt have enough sngs in each of the levels but i felt that i was ready to move up. well i started 8 tabling sng's and after about 100 55's, my roi was preety bad at around 6%. and my friend who moved to 400NL made 8kk in last 10 days or so with a 12bb/100(variance i know). but made me greedy. i wanted to be making as much as him. so i decided i would give 400nl a shot. very inadequately rolled but i was willing to give it a shot. if i lose ill just fall back.

BUT MAN was i wrong on the fallling back part. i thought i was disciplined enough. so i moved to 400nl (3 days ago), and i started playing 1 tables. day 1 i made 600$ life was good. i was playing great!! day 2 i was still playing and i added 1 more table and was playing. i lost about 700 then but i wasnt that worried. i wouldnt play the hands any didfferently. i got stacked twice . once set over set and the other AA where i got my money in on flop. but today the horror began...

i came from college after acing the chem test and thought this will be my day. i sat down and decided to 3 table. first i catch a hand against someone who sees me as a true LAG. i catch top 2 on flop. i over bet it he calls. turn i check as i know he will bet. he bets hard i push all in he calls with bottom 2 and catches river house. ok there goes 500! (he had me covered). 2nd hand against him again!! i have AA. i reraised preflop and he still caled. flop i potted he called. turn i check called. river i check called all in..... (maybe i shoulda pushed turn? ) he showed me his hit gut shot draw on river. i got potted again. then on other table i have AA yet again. against someone i played alot with. he also sees me as a LAG. flop 3JJ i bet pot he raises i push all in he calls. he shows me 34.

overall i lost 2k of profit since i moved to 400nl. i am sad. very sad. i controled myself to stop playing as i was as tilty as it gets after the third AA loss. i never seen myself like this. i went down to eat a over waited meal. and couldnt eat... i was shaking and eager to sit back on the 400nl tables. i ate half of my meal and came back up. but then i just focused and controlled myself. and sat back limits. not 8 tabling 55's... but i needed a sure thing. i sat back 8 tabling the 22's. im back where i started. life is great.

lesson? money and higher limits are inevitable. there is no need to rush. this time ill stay in sng's and play them longer and move to cash maybe.. if i am adequately br for it. my 2c. back to the 22's i go guys. also ill actually move to 109's and 215's this time. i realized that my friend was just having a good rush. he is down 2k since yesterday as well..

Python49
10-04-2005, 01:08 AM
1) Don't move up in stakes until you are sure you are a winning player at the previous limit... with a nice sample size.

2) Make sure you are overly bankrolled if moving back down will take hella long to rebuild to given the difference in stakes. (22 Sngs and 400 NL are pretty big jumps)

3) Variance can own anyone.

NiR
10-04-2005, 01:10 AM
well i fell back to 22's cause well i wasnt rolled for 55's anymore. but i originally made the jump from being a 8 table 55's player to 400nl.doing 22's now... sigh .

10-04-2005, 01:13 AM
incredibly big sidenote to above post.

it can own anyone, and WILL own YOU at some point.

guaran-damn-teed.

NiR
10-04-2005, 01:16 AM
confused? please explain. what can own anyone? 400nl?

10-04-2005, 01:18 AM
variance, or "bad luck"

was my reply vague?

haha, I didnt think so, but I think my post got pushed down one by someone who responded just before me.

I meant variance.

davehwm
10-04-2005, 01:33 AM
From the way it sounds, it may even do you good to take a few days off and re-evaluate where you are with poker in general. If money isn't really and issue and you're not playing for a living then it's fine to take some shots, but even this sounds a little out of control.

A few days of no poker at all can do absolute wonders.

Ogre
10-04-2005, 01:56 AM
be glad you made the mistake now instead of later when there is more money at stake and learn your lesson.

Mr_J
10-04-2005, 02:17 AM
"Don't move up in stakes until you are sure you are a winning player at the previous limit... with a nice sample size."

I think it's ok to take 'premature' shots at higher stakes if you're diciplined enough. It's definately fine to move up if you're confident in your game but don't have the sample size. You should have some idea where you're at whether you have a large sample size or not.

"Make sure you are overly bankrolled if moving back down will take hella long to rebuild to given the difference in stakes. "

Totally disagree. Any decent player who plays at least 6 tables won't take long to rebuild a BR for most stakes, even starting from the $11s. This is why it's great to be aggressive in moving up levels in SNGs, because if you lose some you can just drop back down, player a few days at lower limits and then be ready for another shot.

"22 Sngs and 400 NL are pretty big jumps"

Well yeh, I'm not disagreeing here. Now he knows he doesn't have the dicipline to take 'cheap shots' at higher stakes.

"3) Variance can own anyone."

I'd change that to "variance owns everyone".

The Don
10-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Tough luck but this wasn't nearly as entertaining as "Daliman on the Edge."

Mr_J
10-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Tall poppy syndrome...

NiR
10-04-2005, 02:39 AM
well like i said i didnt move from 22's to 400nl. i moved from 8 tabling 55's to 400nl. big difference.

and next time ill try to make my losses a little more entertaining...............

xorbie
10-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Take a break, drop down and grind.

Mr_J
10-04-2005, 03:24 AM
"and next time ill try to make my losses a little more entertaining..............."

I mean people will always enjoy watching a $215 superstar crashing down than a mortal $55er /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NiR
10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
little update... made 400$ back since yesterday. 100 22's /33's mixed, played... 20% roi. well 1600 more to go. back to the tables.

Freudian
10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
A big part about being a winning player is game selection and bankroll management. A lot of people like to put an asterisk next to their most donkish poker experiences, as if they don't really count because hey - they are a winning player somewhere in the poker universe.

I think most of us need to get stinged to learn though, so there is no need to panic if indeed you learned something.