PDA

View Full Version : A late position play question

02-18-2002, 07:27 PM
I was reading HPFAP and I just want to relay what I believe I have interpreted, and then ask a question.

In the middle positions HPFAP indicates that with 3 or fewer callers and no raised pot you should only be calling with 98 suited or above, 88 or above, and some big cards like AQo as well.

When there are four or more players and the pot has not been raised it indicates you can play with as little as 22, 54 suited, or even 75 suited. (How loose/tight/aggressive the game is also influences these recommendations).

This makes perfect sense to me. With only a couple people playing, the pot won't be big enough to get the odds you need with the smaller pairs and suited connector hands.

Now here is the question. Should the late positions be played about the same? HPFAP isn't as clear here. The tables on playable hands have more than the playable hands for Middle Positions, but if only 2 people are in the pot wouldn't the logic for Middle Position play apply here as well -- if not more so? Would the recommendations of 88 or 98 suited change?

The blinds of course are different. I realize I can play with complete garbage in the BB as I have already made my bet. Similarly I can almost play with garbage in the SB as it will only cost half a bet.

02-19-2002, 12:04 AM
Late play is more complicated. Being last to act is worth something, so sometimes a calling hand becomes a raising hand in the cutoff. On the button, a raise might be appropriate as value or to get a chance at a free card on the flop.

Mostly, the # of callers should be about the same, since you have less chance of callers behind you. However, you should be playing a more hands. For example, with 3 limpers, I'll call with anything down to 22, since there will be at least 5.5 BBs in the pot before the flop AND I don't fear a raise behind me so much b/c I'm in late position. Besides, I will have late position all three rounds, and that is mighty valuable to a drawing hand.

To answer your question directly, you will play 88 and 98s for one bet in late position in almost every situation. Position is worth that much.

Mojay

02-19-2002, 12:45 PM
If I take a look at pot odds for this problem do I need to consider second best hand?

For example, there are 3 people in the pot with 4.5 bets in the pot but I think I'll get an extra .5 bet from the small blind. So should I play with 45 suited? Am I really getting 5 to 1 odds if I sometimes have the second highest straight or flush that will cost me money?

Going in a pot from a late position with 88 or 98 suited is an easy call if I have a lot of opponents in the pot or not. But if I only have 3 people in the pot why should I play with 45s or 22 when I am in a late position? Wouldn't this cost me money in the long run?

If I'm all wet here can someone please explain why.