PDA

View Full Version : LC: Non hypothetical hypothetical

Chaostracize
10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
You are playing a 4 game set. You lose your connection just as you've finished two of them. You're chip leader on one with 5 left and you're mid stack with 6 left. No one can play for you. You rush to a friends house to use his computer. When you get there you've already lost both tournies. Should you count these two tournies towards your ROI if you keep track?

skoal2k4
10-03-2005, 10:14 PM
you lost money on them right? Then yes

edit: I only say that because I personally count everything. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was being a smartass /images/graemlins/blush.gif

lorinda
10-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Yes. Count everything.

Lori

Chaostracize
10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Even though they're not a reflection of skill?

Edit: I should point out I wouldn't count it if I made the money either.

lorinda
10-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Having an internet connection that works is part of the skill of playing online poker.

Lori

Chaostracize
10-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Haha, ouch. I blame Ithaca College. But point taken.

KingDan
10-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I count it... I would also count if I misclick allin or some other crap.

skoal2k4
10-03-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even though they're not a reflection of skill?

Edit: I should point out I wouldn't count it if I made the money either.

[/ QUOTE ]

count it, but make a note in your database or whatever you're using to track it. Perhaps you can filter the games that are lost by internet connection issues?

The Don
10-03-2005, 10:31 PM
I lost entire sets of 8 in the 22s and 33s this summer while playing during lightning storms like an idiot and I counted them...

Mr_J
10-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeh you should. ROI isn't used to track skill (although over a large sample ROI can reflect skill level), but to track your return. In the big grand scheme of things a loss every now and then won't make much of a difference in ROI anyway.

Chaostracize
10-03-2005, 10:37 PM
It is when you're a 3% ROI player like my humble self.

Degen
10-03-2005, 10:41 PM
no

and you need to get some buddies who you can trust to play them for you...and call them when this happens

edit: you know, you should count it...ROI=Return on Investment..well you invested that money, and it went astray...though if possible i wouldn't count it agaist ITM as that is pretty much for you own enjoyment

Mr_J
10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Hitting 3% ROI doesn't mean you have an EV of 3%, which is why it doesn't matter when you include it into your ROI. Alot of people on this forum seem to think ROI is primarily used to measure skill. Well it's not, it's just a statistic that measures your success so far. In the longrun, ROI does reflect what your approx EV is, but by the time you get into the longrun, any losses you have experienced by some bad connections are pretty insignificant.

Mr_J
10-03-2005, 10:47 PM
"ROI=Return on Investment..well you invested that money, and it went astray"

This is true. Bad luck is a part of life. It's a bit like a tennis player not accepting a loss because of a bad call. They got unlucky and have to deal with it. So do we.

10-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I tried to say this before and got flamed. If you're playing poker for money and not for fun, as we tend to assume people are on the tournament, you should consider everything (even extra-game details), both when making decisions and when evaluating your play after.

top6
10-03-2005, 11:15 PM
You should count them.

If you don't, then you need to make some sort of an effort to figure out how many tourneys you've finished ITM because someone else had connection problems, and then put a $ value on that and subtract if from your ROI.

theben
10-03-2005, 11:33 PM
if the server bombed while playing HU and the other person went absent, would you count that as a win?