PDA

View Full Version : Knicks get Eddy Curry

IndieMatty
10-03-2005, 09:55 PM
No report on the players involved. Most likely IMO, Sweets, Tim Thomas, picks, maybe David Lee, perhaps Bill Bradleys Jersey and the rights to the soul of Alan Houston.

Phoenix1010
10-03-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No report on the players involved. Most likely IMO, Sweets, Tim Thomas, picks, maybe David Lee, perhaps Bill Bradleys Jersey and the rights to the soul of Alan Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Paxon made the right decision. This is a huge gamble for the Knicks. If he turns out to have a bum ticker, we basically got screwed out whatever we gave up for him. The Bulls practiced patience and the Knicks blindly charged ahead. Typical Isiah. Anyway, it looks like my Knicks/Bulls regular season record bet just got a lot better for me.

It also says that the Bulls offered Curry $400,000 a year for 50 years if he failed the DNA test. He turns down 20 mil guaranteed?

Joe_d72
10-03-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not Sweets that would suck

IndieMatty
10-03-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not Sweets that would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetney is my favorite player. But he's def gone. Looks like TT, Sweets, Jermaine Jackson (for sal cap reasons), and the Spurs 1st for Curry and Antonio Davis.

mblax10
10-03-2005, 10:45 PM
As a Bulls fan who dosen't really follow the rest of the league, what can I expect from Thomas and Sweetney? I remember both players from college but haven't paid attention to them since.

In Eddy Curry, you Knicks fans can expect an over-rated one-dimensional scorer. His defense is very poor, he never boxes out, and rarely puts forth much effort. He can score in bunches when he feels like it. Basically has 1 move inside, but his first step is so quick that it's effective. Heart problems or not, I'm glad to see him move on.

TomHimself
10-03-2005, 10:56 PM
i didnt read the other thread where the bulls offered a DNA test or something. but why would curry refuse a test when they will give him so much money. was there some sort of twist?

god i hate isiah thomas. he sucks

JayLear
10-03-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Bulls fan who dosen't really follow the rest of the league, what can I expect from Thomas and Sweetney? I remember both players from college but haven't paid attention to them since.

In Eddy Curry, you Knicks fans can expect an over-rated one-dimensional scorer. His defense is very poor, he never boxes out, and rarely puts forth much effort. He can score in bunches when he feels like it. Basically has 1 move inside, but his first step is so quick that it's effective. Heart problems or not, I'm glad to see him move on.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he was healthy, they should have kept him. But there was no doubt they needed to move him. He really seemed to come into his own last year.

I just hope everybody is considering the questions about this kid's health. There are still a lot of questions.

JayLear
10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didnt read the other thread where the bulls offered a DNA test or something. but why would curry refuse a test when they will give him so much money. was there some sort of twist?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was either a civil rights stand, or he was afraid of the results. Your guess is as good as mine. He stands to make much more than $20 million though over the life of an NBA deal.

brettbrettr
10-03-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
god i hate isiah thomas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sources say the Bulls will get Michael Sweetney, Tim Thomas and Jermaine Jackson, whom the Knicks re-signed Monday. Curry could make up to $10 million in his first year—nearly double the amount of the Bulls' qualifying offer.

New York also will include a first-round draft pick and two second round picks as well. The deal still was being finalized late Monday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the Chicago Tribune website.

Most importantly, this allows me to slide Chandler over to center in my fantasy basketball league.

brettbrettr
10-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Isaih is absolutely [censored] horrible.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetney *and* a #1. That's as good as I could've hoped for as a Bulls fan.

brettbrettr
10-04-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*And* *TWO* *2's*?!?!?! (Oh, and Tim Thomas)

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*And* *TWO* *2's*?!?!?! (Oh, and Tim Thomas)

[/ QUOTE ]

The #2's don't have much value, but yes, I'd rather have them than not. Thomas is a necessary evil due to the cap. How long is left on his absurd contract?

brettbrettr
10-04-2005, 01:16 AM
There have been some decent players come out in the second round, I think. I don't know [censored] about bball these days. I'm a Knick fan, sort of stopped watching post-Patrick during the Layden era. If we had different owners, I'd watch. But the Dolans:

1. Hire morons to run the team
2. Didn't release Allan Houston when the Allan [censored] Houston Rule passed
3. (The biggest reason) Blocked the Jets Manhattan Stadium.

I [censored] hate them. I dont' even think L Brown could make me want to watch. Fairweather, sure. But I [censored] hate them.

Voltron87
10-04-2005, 01:32 AM
the west side stadium was a pretty crappy idea for a variety of reasons.

brettbrettr
10-04-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of which included the Jets playing on the West Side. That was a brilliant idea.

Voltron87
10-04-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None of which included the Jets playing on the West Side. That was a brilliant idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-04-2005, 02:02 AM
God I love the fact that Isiah has a job running a NBA team. Without that, NBA offseason would be so boring. This man is just so stupid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go_Blue88
10-04-2005, 02:18 AM
You gotta be kidding me. [censored] [censored], that's terrible news. God, I bet he'll play out of his mind this season; he has a lot of doubters to prove wrong. Man, he was key to getting us to the playoffs; didn't they see how the Wizzard's tore us apart without him? Tyson Chandler sucks.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta be kidding me. [censored] [censored], that's terrible news. God, I bet he'll play out of his mind this season; he has a lot of doubters to prove wrong. Man, he was key to getting us to the playoffs; didn't they see how the Wizzard's tore us apart without him? Tyson Chandler sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless what you think of Curry, this is a great deal for the Bulls. Thomas was apparently bidding against himself since no one else was interested. This is a coup for the Bulls, who had no choice but to move him at this point.

Look, he was a serious question mark as far as giving him the max deal he wanted BEFORE the heart problems. His defense, work ethic and attitude made that contract a huge risk. Yes, he's a potentially dominant low post scorer, but overpaying for potential is a disaster in the NBA (witness new Bull Tim Thomas' contract). This is as good as could have been hoped for.

And Chandler is going to be Ben Wallace Jr. Wash out your mouth.

hoyaboy1
10-04-2005, 02:26 AM
If you can keep Sweetney in shape and you actually let him play 30+, he should be a lock for 15 and 10 - and he's a good compliment to Chandler.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can keep Sweetney in shape and you actually let him play 30+, he should be a lock for 15 and 10 - and he's a good compliment to Chandler.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm excited about getting Sweetney.

Go_Blue88
10-04-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless what you think of Curry, this is a great deal for the Bulls. Thomas was apparently bidding against himself since no one else was interested. This is a coup for the Bulls, who had no choice but to move him at this point.

Look, he was a serious question mark as far as giving him the max deal he wanted BEFORE the heart problems. His defense, work ethic and attitude made that contract a huge risk. Yes, he's a potentially dominant low post scorer, but overpaying for potential is a disaster in the NBA (witness new Bull Tim Thomas' contract). This is as good as could have been hoped for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the contract certainly has some risk, but the guy is very talented. Having him in the post, with Heinrich and Gordon at point is a high-powered combination. And, Noccioni (sp) is Ben Wallace Jr., except he scores more. That guy is an animal. I sort of resent Tyson Chandler, b/c he was so hyped up, and has done nothing but let me down. Maybe this season he'll fulfill the potential everyone boasts about, but as of right now I have a pretty cynical outlook. Good analysis though, I'm now less annoyed than my initial reaction.

P.S- Wash out my mouth? I don't even consider Sh.t to be a swear word, but fer some reason the mods here do. Anyways, sorry mom

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

P.S- Wash out my mouth? I don't even consider Sh.t to be a swear word, but fer some reason the mods here do. Anyways, sorry mom

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to the swear word. I was referring to the blasphemy that Chandler sucks. He's the glue. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go_Blue88
10-04-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to the swear word. I was referring to the blasphemy that Chandler sucks. He's the glue. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh ha, well a lot of the reputable analysts agree with you. We'll see. Overall though, I'm very optimistic about all of the Chicago sports teams. The Blackhawks will be great this season, the Bulls are coming off of a hot streak, the Bears have an outstanding defense and the White Sox are finally playing well again (although I'm a Cubs fan). Whenever I think about this, I feel pretty good.

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 02:52 AM
The Bulls made the smart choice, and got about as good a deal as they could hope for. Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out. He proved that he could be a dominant scorer, it wasn't just about potential anymore. If he's going to be a productive player for the next ten years, then the Bulls got screwed out of a future allstar for the last pick in the first round draft, a decent backup PF, a salary cap killer, and some second round draft picks. If it turns out that Curry really is a health liability, then they basically got something for nothing. It's probably best for them to move on, but this a big hit, and a shame for them. They can't look forward to the same success next year.

mmbt0ne
10-04-2005, 03:22 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

All he's gotta do is get out of Tayshaun Prince's weight class.

xadrez
10-04-2005, 09:13 AM
I heard it was the Knicks 1st rounder in 2006.

pokerdirty
10-04-2005, 09:46 AM
bust.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. This is like poker and you can't be results orieneted. Based on all information available at the time, this is a total steal. What you wrote is like "whether or not it's a good decision to go for it on 4th down depends on if they make it." GMAB. I agree that they won't be as good, but I fully expected them to regress a little this year anyways.

Regarding Curry's talent in particular, the all-star talk is way out of line, even in the Eastern Conference. He may make one, but it's not like he's ever going to be a perennial all-star with his work ethic. And "productive player" at a max or near-max deal is just as big a salary cap killer as Tim Thomas is, but with a whole lot more years left. Ugh. I'm glad the heartache is over for the Bulls.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We will find out soon enough, remember the Knicks have two picks next year. And two seconds as well. Initial reports have an exchange of picks as well. Who knows, it's a risky move, but in the end its just Sweetney for Curry, which if the doctors say fine, you have to do.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Still, whether or not any of this is a good turn of events for them will be determined by how Curry's health turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no. This is like poker and you can't be results orieneted. Based on all information available at the time, this is a total steal. What you wrote is like "whether or not it's a good decision to go for it on 4th down depends on if they make it." GMAB. I agree that they won't be as good, but I fully expected them to regress a little this year anyways.

Regarding Curry's talent in particular, the all-star talk is way out of line, even in the Eastern Conference. He may make one, but it's not like he's ever going to be a perennial all-star with his work ethic. And "productive player" at a max or near-max deal is just as big a salary cap killer as Tim Thomas is, but with a whole lot more years left. Ugh. I'm glad the heartache is over for the Bulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a steal for who? Deal looks to be in the 6 years at 36-40m range (similar to Crawford). I think it's even or leaning the Knicks way to be honest, and I really like Sweetney. He just needs to quit fouling so much and stay on the court.

Edit: I have no idea what the deal is now the Tribune is reporting some things, MSG others. Apparently the knicks will release AD, which makes no sense. I guess, I'll just wait.

Clarkmeister
10-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Funny quote I saw from an interview with Skiles early last year.

Reporter question: "what can Curry do to improve his rebounding?"

Skiles answer: "Jump."

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 10:47 AM
FYI; I just picked this up yesterday.

2005-06 Knicks Micro Plan C

Knicks Micro Plan C

Philadelphia 76ers Sat Nov 26
12:30 PM

New Jersey Nets Mon Dec 26
7:30 PM

Detroit Pistons Thu Jan 19
8:00 PM

Los Angeles Clippers Tue Feb 7

Denver Nuggets Mon Mar 13

Indiana Pacers Fri Apr 7
8:00 PM

Charlotte Bobcats Mon Apr 17

xadrez
10-04-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We will find out soon enough, remember the Knicks have two picks next year. And two seconds as well. Initial reports have an exchange of picks as well. Who knows, it's a risky move, but in the end its just Sweetney for Curry, which if the doctors say fine, you have to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be happier if I find out its the Spurs pick though. Regardless, the Knicks needed to make this move, I agree with you 100%.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be happier if I find out its the Spurs pick though. Regardless, the Knicks needed to make this move, I agree with you 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Isiah has stocked up on draft picks, it's going to be at the point where we couldn't even sign them anymore. Vee will see. I really can't complain with a rotation like this...

C Curry/James
PF Frye/Rose/James/MoT
SF Q-Rich/Ariza?/Lee/MoT
SG Crawford/Q Rich/Ariza/Nate
PG Marbury/Crawford/Nate

xadrez
10-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I like a starting 5 of

C-Curry
PF-Frye
SF-Ariza
SG-QRich
PG-Marbury

I think Ariza will develop into a starter this year. Also, Im glad we didnt give away Lee. I think he might be the best pick the Knicks made this past draft.

lil_o
10-04-2005, 12:07 PM
This is a high risk/reward move. Having Larry Brown at the helm, he won't tolerate a lazy work ethic or poor attitude from Curry so he will have to earn his minutes. Jerome James will be forced to work harder if he wants minutes. Apparently Crawford and Curry were friends in Chicago so maybe there will be some positive chemistry.

If Curry dies does his salary come off the cap?

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a high risk/reward move. Having Larry Brown at the helm, he won't tolerate a lazy work ethic or poor attitude from Curry so he will have to earn his minutes. Jerome James will be forced to work harder if he wants minutes. Apparently Crawford and Curry were friends in Chicago so maybe there will be some positive chemistry.

If Curry dies does his salary come off the cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, after a year.

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. I never questioned whether it was a good decision. I believe they made the best decision available to them, and I said as much. I'm not judging the decision, the only way I'm being results oriented is in judging... the results. Saying that this whole fiasco is a good thing for them is stretching. Knock Curry all you want, but he was perhaps the biggest factor in you guys making the playoffs last year. Come on, he's a big man with proven scoring ability, and he's 22. It's a shame that the Bulls were forced into trading him, and everyone in the organization would have rather kept him, no matter how you slice it.

I never said that he would be a perrenial allstar, but he will be an allstar caliber player. Michael Sweetney will not. And in regards to his work ethic, that's why we have LB (although I'm terrified at how this relationship will turn out).

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way; Isiah has turned this roster around in less than 2 years. I can't complain. Look from a Knicks Messageboard I lurk at:

10-04-2005 1:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know we do this a lot, but it strikes me that the roster we had almost two years ago is nothing like the one we have now, moreso than ever. Two years ago we were hoping McDyess would magically heal and we got excited when Frank Williams got into the game. Sweetney wasn't even playing.
started with:
PG Ward
PG Eisley
PG FWilliams
SG Houston
SF Anderson
SF KVH
PF Weatherspoon
PF Harrington
PF Sweetney
PF McDyess
PF/C KThomas
C DMutombo
C MDoleac

now:
PG Marbury
PG NRobinson
PG/SG JCrawford
SG Hardaway
SG Houston
G/F QRichardson
G/F Ariza
F Lee
PF Rose
PF/C CFrye
PF ADavis
PF MoTaylor
C JJames
C ECurry

Huskiez
10-04-2005, 02:57 PM
The roster definitely looks much more competitive. But the salaries of some of these players (Marbury, Crawford) is pretty high.

The only thing I care about is having enough money to sign Lebron in two years. I really hope Isiah is keeping this in mind.

How does the signing of free agents work? Do you have to be under the cap to do so? What is the cap even?

Anyway though, this team does look pretty solid overall. I think they should be able to make it to the playoffs.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The roster definitely looks much more competitive. But the salaries of some of these players (Marbury, Crawford) is pretty high.

The only thing I care about is having enough money to sign Lebron in two years. I really hope Isiah is keeping this in mind.

How does the signing of free agents work? Do you have to be under the cap to do so? What is the cap even?

Anyway though, this team does look pretty solid overall. I think they should be able to make it to the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a douche, but if you don't know about the NBA salary cap, I don't even know where to start...It's a long complicated process. In a nutshell, yes for good players, you have to be under the cap, or do a sign and trade, or have them take the MLE...

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
I think it's tough to judge. Yes, on paper our roster is a lot stronger than it was before Isiah took over, and certainly worth more attention. On the other hand, he has made some pretty terrible deals, and killed our cap space (even more than before) giving out absurd contracts like candy. What it boils down to, I think, is that Zeke understands what New York sports is all about. We want to be a contendor NOW, we want to be worth watching NOW, we will not idly support a lackluster team while it rebuilds the right way. I think there was an enormous amount of pressure for Zeke to make the franchise do a 180 immediately. So he's been in rush mode ever since he took over, and what we have now is a salary cap disaster, but a team which seems to be on the cusp of a playoff berth after only two years of wild deals. I'm not sure but I think the fact that Isiah was prematurely ousted from his old job before he got a chance to fully develop his young players may be contributing to some of the hysterical panic mode deals he's made.

10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm glad the Bulls got rid of Antonio Davis and that ridiculous 14 million a year he was getting. Front line of Chandler and Sweetney with a great backcourt is going to be fun to watch.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's tough to judge. Yes, on paper our roster is a lot stronger than it was before Isiah took over, and certainly worth more attention. On the other hand, he has made some pretty terrible deals, and killed our cap space (even more than before) giving out absurd contracts like candy. What it boils down to, I think, is that Zeke understands what New York sports is all about. We want to be a contendor NOW, we want to be worth watching NOW, we will not idly support a lackluster team while it rebuilds the right way. I think there was an enormous amount of pressure for Zeke to make the franchise do a 180 immediately. So he's been in rush mode ever since he took over, and what we have now is a salary cap disaster, but a team which seems to be on the cusp of a playoff berth after only two years of wild deals. I'm not sure but I think the fact that Isiah was prematurely ousted from his old job before he got a chance to fully develop his young players may be contributing to some of the hysterical panic mode deals he's made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand, unless you only added 1m a year players, as long as Houston was on the team, we would be over the cap until he retires. Whether it be 3-5m over, or 25m over, I don't care it's Dolans money.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad the Bulls got rid of Antonio Davis and that ridiculous 14 million a year he was getting. Front line of Chandler and Sweetney with a great backcourt is going to be fun to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Expiring contract for an expiring contract, TT makes even more then Antonio Davis btw. He will also be a douchebag.

Sweetney is a very likeable player, Chicago will love him.

10-04-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget that the player needs to be with your team for three years for Bird rights. (Isiahs biggest mistake to date was only signing Ariza to a two year deal)

Huskiez
10-04-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand, unless you only added 1m a year players, as long as Houston was on the team, we would be over the cap until he retires. Whether it be 3-5m over, or 25m over, I don't care it's Dolans money.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Hoops Hype (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm), the Knicks will have a salary of 49 million at the end of the 2006/07 season, the year Lebron becomes a FA. The salary cap for last year according to Inside Hoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-salary-cap.shtml) was 49.5 million.

Does the addition of Curry (which will vault the Knicks over the probable salary cap in 2007/08) preclude them from signing Lebron as a FA? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part because Isiah will probably trade Penny this year and Houston, Mo Taylor, and Shandon Anderson next year to dig us deeper in this hole.

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
This isn't the Yankees, the well is not bottomless. Giving out and taking on huge contracts for people who don't deserve them severly handicaps our ability to sign players in future free agent pools, and locks up our ability to make any kinds of trades in our favor. We're taking on all of the bloated contracts that smart GMs are trying to get away from.

Huskiez
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to just sign him as a FA (and not trade for him)? I just think it would make sense for the Knicks to ensure they are under the cap the year he becomes a FA so we can at least have a shot at signing him.

Obviously if we have to trade for him we have no chance.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't the Yankees, the well is not bottomless. Giving out and taking on huge contracts for people who don't deserve them severly handicaps our ability to sign players in future free agent pools, and locks up our ability to make any kinds of trades in our favor. We're taking on all of the bloated contracts that smart GMs are trying to get away from.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only contract that runs beyond Houstons is Marbury's correct? Give me all the bloated contracts you want as long as they end in 07.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to just sign him as a FA (and not trade for him)? I just think it would make sense for the Knicks to ensure they are under the cap the year he becomes a FA so we can at least have a shot at signing him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. The Heat traded for Shaq. Sign and trades happen.

Huskiez
10-04-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only contract that runs beyond Houstons is Marbury's correct? Give me all the bloated contracts you want as long as they end in 07.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crawford, Q, Malik Rose, Jerome James, and Eddy Curry (?) will all make 6-8 million in 2007/08.

Huskiez
10-04-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right but the Knicks don't have any talent to do a sign and trade for a player like Lebron, so our only chance is FA signing, no?

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Hoops Hype (http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm), the Knicks will have a salary of 49 million at the end of the 2006/07 season, the year Lebron becomes a FA. The salary cap for last year according to Inside Hoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-salary-cap.shtml) was 49.5 million.

Does the addition of Curry (which will vault the Knicks over the probable salary cap in 2007/08) preclude them from signing Lebron as a FA? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part because Isiah will probably trade Penny this year and Houston, Mo Taylor, and Shandon Anderson next year to dig us deeper in this hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Knicks would have to do something to get under the cap by 07, correct. This is par for the NBA though.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Crawford, Q, Malik Rose, Jerome James, and Eddy Curry (?) will all make 6-8 million in 2007/08.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored], I'm so used to saying this that I forgot about the new players in the last year. Please forgive me, I suck.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Right but the Knicks don't have any talent to do a sign and trade for a player like Lebron, so our only chance is FA signing, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Often an expiring contract + draft picks is enough, look at what the Lakers got for Shaq (Butler/Odom and Grant); or what Denver gave up for New Jersey (3 picks). It's not that unreasonable to believe, that Mo Taylor(for the $$ expiring contract), Trevor Ariza/Robinson/Lee/Frye (whichever young kid(s) ends up being good) and a few #1s would be more then enough. Knicks take Lebron and whatever garbage cleveland makes us take (I bet Ilgouskas will be almost crippled by 2007)

Aytumious
10-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Getting Lebron is a pipe dream for the Knicks. They clearly won't be under the cap, so a trade is the only way it happens. That isn't likely since the Cavs would basically have to agree to do it. Sign and trades generally happen when the original team doesn't want to pay -- Kmart -- the player is very unhappy and making huge salary demands -- Shaq -- or extenuating circumstances a la Curry.

Fun stat on the Knicks center postion. Knicks 2 centers (Curry and James) combined for 8.4 rebounds in 45.5 minutes last year.

Dan Gadzuric went for 8.3 rebounds in 22 minutes last year.

James actually averaged more fouls than rebounds last year while Curry would have ranked #12 in rebounds per game amongst shooting guards.

Here is Jerome Curry's stat line 45.3 minutes

The good....

21 points
52.5% FG
72% FT
2.31 BPG

The bad....

.62 SPG
3.7 TO's

The awful....

8.4 RPG
0.8 APG
6.7 PF

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
You're forgetting his one good playoff series, which totally warranted a big contract, despite years of mediocrity.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I really wanted Gadzuric. Good post.

xadrez
10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Isiahs biggest mistake to date was only signing Ariza to a two year deal)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], I did not know this. This just ruined my day.

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're forgetting his one good playoff series, which totally warranted a big contract, despite years of mediocrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a few moments yesterday I thought Jermaine Jackson was Jerome James and was very happy...

10-04-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not Thomas' choice to sign him to a 2 tear deal. All NBA draft picks have preset deals coming out of the draft depending on where they were picked. First round picks have three year deals, second round picks have two year deals (this is what screwed the warriors with gilbert arenas, who was drafted in the second round). This is definitely the way it was under the old cba, im not sure about the new one

10-04-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Often an expiring contract + draft picks is enough, look at what the Lakers got for Shaq (Butler/Odom and Grant); or what Denver gave up for New Jersey (3 picks). It's not that unreasonable to believe, that Mo Taylor(for the $$ expiring contract), Trevor Ariza/Robinson/Lee/Frye (whichever young kid(s) ends up being good) and a few #1s would be more then enough. Knicks take Lebron and whatever garbage cleveland makes us take (I bet Ilgouskas will be almost crippled by 2007)

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true except for two factors. 1. by 2007 Lebron could be the best player in the league and 2. More importantly the owner of the Cavs would have to be insane to let his team trade Lebron because Lebron is worth so much to the team marketing wise. If they lose Lebron, they are automatically rebuilding and they lose a large portion of their fan base.

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
I think it's going to depend very heavily on what Lebron wants to do. There have been a lot of stars in the past who would make you say that the owner would have to be insane to let them go, but they demand a trade and they're gone. Shaq, Joe Johnson, and Vince Carter are examples. If they know they're going to end up losing him anyway the following year, they have to scramble to get as much for him as they can while they still have a chance, or end up with nothing.

For the next two years, it's really all about making Lebron happy enough to stay there. They seem to be on the right track, but a front office melt down like last year's, or some unforseen problems, and Lebron will be asking out, and they won't really have much chance other. Who knows what he wants? The extra 20 million that the Cavs can offer him as a RFA will play a role as well.

TomHimself
10-04-2005, 07:09 PM
doesnt matter how the team looks now from2 years ago. they still suck and are expensive

instead of old,shitty,expensive they are young shitty expensive

and marbury isnt that good

IndieMatty
10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not Thomas' choice to sign him to a 2 tear deal. All NBA draft picks have preset deals coming out of the draft depending on where they were picked. First round picks have three year deals, second round picks have two year deals (this is what screwed the warriors with gilbert arenas, who was drafted in the second round). This is definitely the way it was under the old cba, im not sure about the new one

[/ QUOTE ]

Second rounders can get 3 years. See Carlos Boozer.

Phoenix1010
10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Marbury is a loser and a team killer. The only good thing about him is that when teams trade him away, they always get a lot better. The good news is that since Larry Brown is more important than him, he will either become a winner or he will be traded. That's really the good news with the entire team. People are underestimating the Larry Brown factor. Fellating LB almost makes up for all of Isiah's mistakes.

Joe_d72
10-07-2005, 01:22 AM
I am crazy to think the Knicks could win the Atlantic Division this year. With LB at the helm the starters should be

PG Stephon Marbury 21.7 3.0 8.1
SG Jamal Crawford 17.7 2.9 4.3
SF Quentin Richardson 14.9 6.1 2.0
PF Eddy Curry 16.1 5.4 0.6
C Jerome James 4.9 3.0 0.2

and coming off the bench will be

F-C Antonio Davis 7.0 5.9 1.1
F-C Channing Frye -- -- --
G Allan Houston 11.9 1.2 2.1
G Nate Robinson -- -- --
F Malik Rose 8.3 4.4 0.7

They are better then Boston, Toronto and Philly.(IMO) I think the only team that might be better is NJ.

Phoenix1010
10-07-2005, 01:35 AM
We've got an extremely talented backcourt, and a deep and strong front line. The problem is that everyone on the roster has had trouble actually playing as well as they're capable. It's really all going to come down to how much LB can squeeze out of these guys, and with his track record as far as getting people to play their best ball, we have every reason to be optimistic.

We will not win the division though. New Jersey is leaps and bounds ahead of New York. And depending on fast Boston's kids develop, they might not be far behind. I don't see Philly doing much this year, although Webber still has a chance to prove me wrong. I still think New York has an excellent chance of making the playoffs (if the Curry deal goes actually goes through that is), although home court is out of the question.

Aytumious
10-07-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am crazy to think the Knicks could win the Atlantic Division this year. With LB at the helm the starters should be

PG Stephon Marbury 21.7 3.0 8.1
SG Jamal Crawford 17.7 2.9 4.3
SF Quentin Richardson 14.9 6.1 2.0
PF Eddy Curry 16.1 5.4 0.6
C Jerome James 4.9 3.0 0.2

and coming off the bench will be

F-C Antonio Davis 7.0 5.9 1.1
F-C Channing Frye -- -- --
G Allan Houston 11.9 1.2 2.1
G Nate Robinson -- -- --
F Malik Rose 8.3 4.4 0.7

They are better then Boston, Toronto and Philly.(IMO) I think the only team that might be better is NJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the rebounding numbers of your frontcourt. And that the two best defenders are on your bench -- AD and Rose -- and both are quite limited in what they bring to the table.

The Knicks will have to be one of the highest scoring teams in the league because they are going to give up a ton of points.

NJ is much better and I think Philly has the edge despite their lack of depth simply because they have a much better defensive team. Boston and Toronto are both pretty bad.

Clarkmeister
10-07-2005, 03:25 AM
The Knicks are a dog to make anything higher than a 7 seed.

IndieMatty
10-07-2005, 02:37 PM
ESPN Radio News in Boston is reporting that Eddie has failed the physical. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brad22
10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
It's good for the Knicks I think. Sucks to give up Sweetney - I think he's gonna be a solid player.

Btw, what are the Bulls doing with Deng, Sweetney and Tim Thomas at SF?

Phoenix1010
10-07-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN Radio News in Boston is reporting that Eddie has failed the physical. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, ESPN.com is saying that the trade went through and doctors have cleared him to play.

Popinjay
10-07-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, ESPN.com is saying that the trade went through and doctors have cleared him to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051008/capt.chtx10110080101.knicks_curry_chtx101.jpg

Curry at training camp, it looks like he cleared.

Aytumious
10-07-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's good for the Knicks I think. Sucks to give up Sweetney - I think he's gonna be a solid player.

Btw, what are the Bulls doing with Deng, Sweetney and Tim Thomas at SF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetney is a 270 lb PF. Deng is one of the Bulls cornerstone players at SF, so he will be the starter. TT will come off the bench for a year then sign elsewhere, most likely.

Brad22
10-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Sweetney never played the 4 with the Knicks, did he? I thought he was always the SF.

Aytumious
10-08-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sweetney never played the 4 with the Knicks, did he? I thought he was always the SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Sweetney spent a lot of time at center last year, with his other minutes coming at the 4. He didn't play one minute at small forward.

I don't know if you've watched him play, but if you had, you'd know he's not a small forward.

Brad22
10-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I thought he came in as the SF. He should be fine with the Bulls at PF then.

IndieMatty
10-08-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's an undersized PF, but tenacious. 6'8. You'll love him. He's always going to the line, and he's pretty good FT shooter. If he gets minutes and keeps his fouls down, you're looking at 12-9 to 14 - 10 easy.

Aytumious
10-08-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is that you are completely mistaken. He hasn't spent one minute at SF in either college or the NBA. How many 6'8 280 pound SF's have you ever seen?

He's fine as a PF with his girth, long reach, and surprising agility.

HajiShirazu
10-09-2005, 06:43 AM
My guess is that he already took the test privately elsewhere and knew the result.

Clarkmeister
11-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Has anyone watched Sweetney lately? Dude is blowing up.

hoyaboy1
11-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Told ya before the season, give him 35 minutes and he's a lock for 15 and 10, if not more - with good shooting percentages to boot.

IndieMatty
11-21-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone watched Sweetney lately? Dude is blowing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't have me on ignore, you would have seen how I predicted this.