PDA

View Full Version : I am going to lose

10-03-2005, 07:42 PM
I like poker alot and whenever I sit down and play I have a good time. I play NL100 with what is considered a big enough bankroll (about 4000bb) and I am a winning player. Despite all this I have a difficult time making myself actually sit down and play because for some reason before I start playing I believe I have forgotten everything about poker and that I am going to lose big.

Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have any good advice for me?

I especially can't sit down and play if I am going to meet friends later in the day, or if I'm going to a party, because I'm afraid I'll become blue due to a possible loss.

Pog0
10-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Even though you have enough of a bankroll to handle a downswing, you still feel attached to the money and don't want to lose it. Obviously, none of us want to lose money, but we can attribute it to varience and think nothing of it as long as we're playing well.

I guess the only advice I can give you is to play a lower stakes game such that if you were to lose 1-3 buy-ins, it won't affect how you go about the rest of your day. You can always move back up later once you grow accustomed to it.

I'm sure there are more experienced and more knowledgeable players who know more on this topic than I do. I just know that I used to let it affect me as well, but then several tens of thousands of hands later, I've grown more and more impartial to the result.

10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Sort of along the line of what PoqO was saying, when you know you're going to be doing something and you may be bringing a "table attitue" with you, play a smaller table.

Maybe even set up a b/r for low-limit-I'm-not-so-concerned-with-it play. If you win, you'll be in a good mood. If you lose, it won't be a big deal. Then it's a win-win situation.