PDA

View Full Version : reckless or good read?

Dominic
10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
2-5 at the MGM...I'm running over the table to the tune of three racks of red.

I'm in BB with 5s5d...solid player in CU raises to 25....tricky but loose player on button calls, SB folds, I call.

FLOP: Td8d2h

It's checked around...I was hoping the preflop raiser, who was solid if unimaginitive, was going to bet so I could CR...oh well, guess I should've bet out on such a friendly flop.

The turn is the 4d.

I bet 30 to see if anyone wants to keep playing.

CU folds. Button raises to 90.

I've got him covered by at least 3-1. After some deliberation, I put him all-in, figuring him for some kind of draw with which he cannot call.

He folds.

Obviously the result was good, but I want to know if you guys think the play was good or just plain reckless...

AZK
10-03-2005, 08:26 PM
reckless.

fyi, killing a 2/5 game = at a minimum one rack of green

BobboFitos
10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

want to second that

1500 is only 3buyins... If it's 300 buy in 5 isn't even killing the game. but nice job.

Also, this is a c/f on the flop!

Dominic
10-03-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....well I had only been there 4 hours and had only bought in for $300, so there!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dominic
10-03-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

want to second that

1500 is only 3buyins... If it's 300 buy in 5 isn't even killing the game. but nice job.

Also, this is a c/f on the flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figured it was reckless, but recent success must have emboldened me...got to watch that, I guess...

But you're saying after it was checked around on the flop,you wouldn't have taken a stab at it?

creedofhubris
10-04-2005, 12:37 AM
If you want to fire on the turn, make it bigger than 30. 2/3 pot is much better than less than half.

BobboFitos
10-04-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I figured it was reckless, but recent success must have emboldened me...got to watch that, I guess...

But you're saying after it was checked around on the flop,you wouldn't have taken a stab at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would I? maybe.

To reraise the turn though once raised does take alot of balls, so you earned the hand. I dont think I have that in my arsenal

Dominic
10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to fire on the turn, make it bigger than 30. 2/3 pot is much better than less than half.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

10-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm fairly new to this 'playing poker properly' lark, have pretty much been a cowboy uptil now so excuse me if this is just plain dumb. By making the small $30 bet isn't he giving the guy more range for his raise and therefore giving himself a better decision after the raise, eg if he makes a large 2/3 pot raise the other guy can really either go all in or fold.

If he goes all in then OP ain't gonna call him is he? But the $90 dollar raise by the other guy gives him a better read and more confidence to reraise all-in??

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dominic
10-04-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly new to this 'playing poker properly' lark, have pretty much been a cowboy uptil now so excuse me if this is just plain dumb. By making the small $30 bet isn't he giving the guy more range for his raise and therefore giving himself a better decision after the raise, eg if he makes a large 2/3 pot raise the other guy can really either go all in or fold.

If he goes all in then OP ain't gonna call him is he? But the $90 dollar raise by the other guy gives him a better read and more confidence to reraise all-in??

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did make a small bet on the turn with the intention of re-raising if the Tricky Player re-raised me...I had seen him raise and/or re-raise on draws and just smoothcall his made hands....so I was hoping he would do exactly what he did. On the other hand, if the Pre-Flop Raiser had called or raised my bet, I was probably done with hand; hence, another reason for the smallish turn bet.

So you're right....if I make a large, pot-sized bet on the turn and get raised, I'll probably have to fold; if I then put the raiser all-in, he's pretty much pot-committed and will have to call.

creedofhubris
10-05-2005, 01:56 AM
The $30 bet is begging to be raised. If hero made that bet intending to reraise allin, he chose correctly.

If hero intended the initial bet to have a chance of taking down the pot, he chose poorly.

Dominic
10-05-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The $30 bet is begging to be raised. If hero made that bet intending to reraise allin, he chose correctly.

If hero intended the initial bet to have a chance of taking down the pot, he chose poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about choice C: I'll take the fold, but I'm gonna put you all-in if you raise!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif