PDA

View Full Version : Can I ever bet this underpair?

private joker
10-03-2005, 06:33 PM
The table is full of tight players -- avg VPIP 17. I've seen a bit of slowplaying going on, for what that's worth.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $5. CO posts a blind of $7. UTG posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, SB completes, UTG (poster) checks.

Flop: (7.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.70 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero...

toss
10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Wow 8 Players huh? Normally I'd say bet the turn, but I'm not sure how EV that would be getting 3.7:1 on your bet in a field of 8.

Nick C
10-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Man, that is weird. I mean, I know there were two posters, but how can eight players at a tight table see this flop and have all three postflop streets check through?

Anyway, I guess you could bet the turn, but four other people chose to enter this pot, and I'd kind of expect someone out there to be patiently waiting to checkraise.

I'm not sure if a Button bet would be convincing enough to push out a hand like 66, either.

I might bet the turn, really, but doing so does seem to have its hazards. (Edit: Among other things, there are potential draws that could call you, and if those draws do call, all sorts of river cards could beat you, even if you are somehow ahead on the turn.)

private joker
10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I mean I think the only street that might be right to bet is the river. If someone were waiting to checkraise they'd have bet the river. Then again, my bet would so obviously look like a stab at the pot than anyone with an 8 or a weak K or even 55-77 would probably call. I dunno...

W. Deranged
10-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Against 8 players, I don't ever see an opportunity to bet. Once you get to the big bet streets it's not even worth it.

You're probably up against at least one other underpair which is beating you but which may well call by the river.

Many opponents would not bet a K or even an A here. I doubt your ahead more than like 5% of the time, and a bluff is not getting through 7 opponents on the river here.

Evan
10-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Bet the flop.

Fnord
10-04-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please say more.

jason_t
10-04-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please say more.

[/ QUOTE ]

A paired board hits fewer people. An A would have likely bet the flop. We might fold small pocket pairs that are beating us. There's a great chance we can narrow the field here. It's an easy fold to a check/raise and likely gives us control on the turn too.

Evan
10-04-2005, 03:01 AM
yea, that sounds good. You'll also get lots of hands that "should" call to fold.