PDA

View Full Version : Name brand telivisions

illusionS
10-03-2005, 06:24 PM
So I'm sitting in math class today shopping online for flat screen TV's when the kid sitting next to me points and says "don't buy that one." It was a Sony 40-something inch. He then goes on to tell me that his family bought that one and has had a lot of problems with it.

That made me think of the Toshiba 32 inch that my family used to have. Only lasted 3 or 4 years. One of my uncles also had a Toshiba and the corner started turning purple after a few years. My brother has had some random brand television in his room for 10+ years. Our TV in basement is another long living generic brand. The lifespan of these things seems to be more random than have anything to do with the quality of the brand.

So the question is: what is the difference between a "name" brand telivision and something like an Insignia or Westington House etc? Is there any?

Also if anyone has any suggestions on affordable flat screens in the 20-40 inch range that'd be money. I'm really considering an Insignia 27 or so inch right now unless someone can convince me that a better brand is worth the money.

astroglide
10-03-2005, 06:29 PM
http://www.touronkai.com/99sympo/99sympo/siihp.jpg

marsvolta619
10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Insignia is Best Buy's brand. Honestly, the only way it would be worthwhile getting is if you can find someone to get it for you on our discount, it would be like half off. Other than that, we see them returned ALL THE TIME.

baumer
10-03-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the corner started turning purple after a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure there wasn't a speaker next to the TV?
I had problems with purple/green in one corner on my TV and I found out the giant speakers my roommate bought weren't magnetically shielded, and that's what was causing it.

Save your money and buy a bigscreen DLP.

10-03-2005, 07:24 PM
A lot of the off brands are just name brand items "rebadged" with a different company name. Company A buys a huge amount of Company B's TV's and gets a great discount, puts their name on it, marks it up but keeps it below the name brand and now you have an off brand. I have a list here at work somewhere of the off brands and their name brand if you want it.

illusionS
10-03-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the off brands are just name brand items "rebadged" with a different company name. Company A buys a huge amount of Company B's TV's and gets a great discount, puts their name on it, marks it up but keeps it below the name brand and now you have an off brand. I have a list here at work somewhere of the off brands and their name brand if you want it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, thats some very intriguing information. And yes, that list would be helpful. Thanks.

peachy
10-03-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Insignia is Best Buy's brand. Honestly, the only way it would be worthwhile getting is if you can find someone to get it for you on our discount, it would be like half off. Other than that, we see them returned ALL THE TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

my friend that worked there got me one of these Insignia flat screens..its been ALRIGHT so far...i mean i cant complain cause its a big flatscreen BUT the remote does not work and i cant find a universal one that does this brand! WTF! any recommendations?

pokerdirty
10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
you get what you pay for...

(usually)

astroglide
10-03-2005, 09:47 PM
lots of people use big brand tubes in monitors. you can get like a KDS monitor with a trinitron, for example. it's not identical to a sony, though, because the electronics (not just the enclosure) are different. what you say may be true of many situations, but it's not a universal effect.

PITTM
10-03-2005, 09:53 PM
the television in my room is an ESA. i think they were a company for like 2 minutes. i cant find anything about them. no website, no nothing. good thing its my shitty room tv. my real sitting room tv is a sweet samsung hdtv.

rj