PDA

View Full Version : 88 hand

alul
10-03-2005, 06:05 PM
3/6 live game 9-handed. Nice table, very loose and passive, except EP1 and MP1 who are also loose but can once in a while get tricky and/or aggressive. Usually 6-8 players to the flop, everybody is chasing anything.

I have 88 UTG.

I call, EP1 calls, EP2 folds, MP1 calls, 3 players call, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop AA2 (rainbow).
BB checks, I bet, EP1 calls, MP1 calls, rest fold.

Turn 3 (no flush draw possible)
I bet, EP1 calls, MP1 folds.

River 3
I...

What would you do?

10-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Based on where you've gotten yourself, I check-call, for a number of reasons. I'm assuming you're in a B&M game, my thinking here doesn't apply to online play. I've found BM 3-6 players tend to play fairly mechanically. If someone's holding the ace, about 90 percent will call the turn, and raise the river. Very few will wait for the river to hit the raise. If no one's raised on the turn, I've got to put EP1 on a pair, anywhere from 22-TT (excluding 8s). I like the check on the river, because it may induce EP1 to bet with a weaker pair or a king kicker. If EP1 is playing a bigger pair or slow playing an ace, you're only out one more bet. My guess is you are about a 4-1 favorite on the river, so your check-call may get you one more bet than leading into the pot here.

alul
10-04-2005, 12:21 PM
I bet, he calls with 34 and MHING. But was there a better way to play this hand?

SeaEagle
10-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I think you played it fine before the river.

On the river, I'd bet/fold. When nobody raised you on the turn you have to assume you're ahead. The 3 is scary but if you check he'll bet his better hands (and you'll have to call) but he'll check his worse hands - so checking costs you the same when you're behind but wins you less when you're ahead.

brettbrettr
10-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Bet. (And raise pre-flop.)

onegymrat
10-04-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet. (And raise pre-flop.)

[/ QUOTE ]I think that it would be a mistake to raise preflop with this type of table. You are not going to eliminate many. You are out of position with seven overcards. You're really going to need a great flop to play on. The hand is too good to fold, so limping should be just fine.

To OP, Check-call the river. You can't put these types of people on a hand, especially if they have a tendency to be tricky.

Chris Daddy Cool
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(And raise pre-flop.)

[/ QUOTE ]

raising 88 and lower isn't standard and will hardly make a difference in your results if you do or don't.

saying it so matter-of-factly probably isnt a good idea as he may get the wrong impression about hands and cause him to misplay in the future.