PDA

View Full Version : A weird type of Billiard Pool anyone ever heard of this?

10-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I saw 4 guys playing a game of pool but the 1 ball started on the dot and all the other balls were put on the rail. The players took turns shooting at the 1 and then after that I could tell no order in which they were shooting. Also after all the balls were made they kept score on a piece of paper by tallying up their total points. Sorry for the shotty details but has anyone ever heard of this?

asofel
10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
i'm pretty sure i know what you're talking about but can't think of the name....i think you have to bank the balls, and in order as well...

10-03-2005, 06:23 PM
It may not have a name and it may be something they've made up. As a degenerate kid I spent more than a few hours "rackin'em up." 8-ball was won too often by luck. 9-ball was OK and Cribbage and Golf were diversions.

To put our skills to test, we could really get creative in making up games and variations on existing games.

mmmmmbrother
10-03-2005, 06:39 PM
golf pwns

MonkeeMan
10-03-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It may not have a name and it may be something they've made up. As a degenerate kid I spent more than a few hours "rackin'em up." 8-ball was won too often by luck. 9-ball was OK and Cribbage and Golf were diversions.

To put our skills to test, we could really get creative in making up games and variations on existing games.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you were kids, I would think 9 ball would have more luck involved (unless people were losing games making the 8 ball out of turn). In 9 ball you can just be a banger.

10-04-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As you were kids, I would think 9 ball would have more luck involved (unless people were losing games making the 8 ball out of turn). In 9 ball you can just be a banger.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Banging" on the break is key in 9-ball. You must make a ball to keep shooting. After that, the skill factor determines the outcome. Shooting the remaining balls in rotation and in the pocket declared, separates the shooters from the donks.

And, the "kids" I played with were all dead serious. We played for nickles and dimes plus the table time. As I got older, the stakes got higher and I took up Snooker and 3-cushion.

BTW, the nickles and dimes were those I worked for throwing newspapers. At .25 a week (I kept .09), X 125 or so customers. In 1950 I could buy a pack of Luckies for about a quarter. Yeah, I'm gettin' old.

WackityWhiz
10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
no way, luck has a much bigger factor in 9 ball than in 8 ball. Nobody is making your balls for you in 8 ball.

right?

MonkeeMan
10-04-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Banging" on the break is key in 9-ball. You must make a ball to keep shooting. After that, the skill factor determines the outcome. Shooting the remaining balls in rotation and in the pocket declared, separates the shooters from the donks.

And, the "kids" I played with were all dead serious. We played for nickles and dimes plus the table time. As I got older, the stakes got higher and I took up Snooker and 3-cushion.

BTW, the nickles and dimes were those I worked for throwing newspapers. At .25 a week (I kept .09), X 125 or so customers. In 1950 I could buy a pack of Luckies for about a quarter. Yeah, I'm gettin' old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowaday's 9 ball is played without calling your shots, so at the lower skill levels there's more luck involved than in 8 ball, where you do call shots.

10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no way, luck has a much bigger factor in 9 ball than in 8 ball. Nobody is making your balls for you in 8 ball.

right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. Sorry. Who's making balls for me in 8-ball?

WackityWhiz
10-04-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody is making your balls for you in 8 ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, nobody is...

in 9 ball, a person can make the first eight balls and lose. I would just assume that there is more luck involved in this game. Obviously the pros don't slop shots around, but amateurs like myself do.

10-04-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody is making your balls for you in 8 ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, nobody is...

in 9 ball, a person can make the first eight balls and lose. I would just assume that there is more luck involved in this game. Obviously the pros don't slop shots around, but amateurs like myself do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooops. Thanx WW, I mis-read. Hey, it's getting late and I'm old and tired, dammit!

OK, the guys I played 8-ball with slopped in my balls occasionally. Our 8-ball rules, for some reason, didn't require calling your shot. The only called shot was the 8. Without fear of any penalty, they'd bang, for example, a grouping of maybe 3 of their color and 1 of mine. Odds were, they'd make one of theirs, not mine.

9-ball can be "8 made, 1 missed, sit down and watch - and lose." We weren't pros, but good enough that this usually didn't happen.