PDA

View Full Version : Is This a Value Bet?

toss
10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Bdog 3/6 Full

UTG limps, UTG+1 raises, MP1 and MP2 coldcall, I coldcall with 77o, Button calls, BB calls, all call. 17 Players to the flop.

Flop is 255r (13.7SB)

Checked to MP1 who bets, MP2 calls, I raise, folded to UTG+1 who calls, MPs call.

Turn is K (10.667BB) 4 Players

Checked to me, I bet, only MP2 calls.

River is 8 (12.667BB)

MP2 checks, Hero value bets?

MP2 is a pretty lose calling station. Is my flop raise good or do I have to wait for the turn here?

gh9801
10-04-2005, 02:47 AM
I think I'd value bet this too - it looks like AQ/AJ/AT

alul
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I think you played it fine. On the river I would check behind, he will not call you with his ace high. And will defenitely call with a K or 8. There is some possibility he has a 2 or smaller PP but...I'm still checking.
Saying all that I kept in mind you had 77o, if they were suited I'd defenitely bet /images/graemlins/grin.gif

W. Deranged
10-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Toss...

I think the flop is a fine place to raise. You'd be facing your opponent with like 8 or 9 to 1. Considering the overcard hands are going to be sharing tons of outs and so on, I think this is fine. Any calls won't be terrible, but they'll be close. You will get some folds, and the turn could pose tons of problems particularly if you're not bet to. It's close, but I think raising the flop is better. If the flop were not so blank (and favorable for you) or if there were a player or two more in the pot I think waiting becomes better.

A river value bet is honestly quite thin, in my opinion, but I probably do it. I think the major point is the passivity of your opponent. If you can say with confidence that he'd often show more aggression if he hit a K, then I think you can find a value bet. If he's the type of opponent who'd continue with overcards and only check-call when he hit (fearing he's up against a 2 or something) then I think that K's simply take up too large a percentage of his range when he calls (not to mention hands like 99 and TT) that I think it shifts it to a check.

This is an interesting hand and it's a shame it hasn't gotten more discussion, because I think both decisions are very close.